5.0 out of 5 stars Good choice for surround sound, May 27, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic DMP-BDT500P Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player (Electronics)
I received this from Amazon on Friday, and set it up on Friday evening. This was ordered to replaced a unit that was a couple of years old and cost $150 less. The old player was working OK but I was intrigued by the specs and hype for this player. I have a decent surround sound system (Polk top-of-the-line speakers) and a plasma TV (Samsung). The video: I have my TV set to Movie mode and with this player the video really does look like movie mode (at least more than the old player), I turned off the Chroma Process on the BDT500 because of way too much color saturation, and still had to re-adjust the plasma TV just a little lower (not much) for both color and contrast, and now the picture is great, better color than the old player and darker blacks, and great detail. The audio: I'm using the HDMI Sub feed to my receiver, and the sound took some tinkering too, I tried the sound effects but didn't really like the "tube amp" sounds, so they're turned off, I also turned off the analog sound circuit. I turned on High Clarity Sound which seemed to reduce the strength of the center channel a little, so I turned on the Dialog Enhancer, which increased the center channel a little bit too much (but more is better than not enough if you want to hear the voices). My speakers were balanced by the Audyssey feature of the reciever, and I didn't want to mess with it, but I decided to increase all the speakers by 1 db (except the center). It worked OK because this is the best sound I've gotten from my system so far. The only thing I'm having trouble with is the touch screen on the remote - makes me crazy sometimes (frustration), maybe time will help. This player allows so many adjustments to the video and sound that most people should find something preferable. I'm glad I ordered it and I think it's worth the cost. My home theater is improved.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 30, 2012 10:09:43 AM PDT
Sheshechic says:
So the only advantage to this player's additional processing is that you got better center channel volume and had to decrease the db for all other speakers? Couldn't you have achieved a similar result, without the BDT500, by increasing the db for the center?

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 5:58:22 AM PDT
robert says:
no, he also said tat blacks were improved and more color all around

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 4:38:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 31, 2012 4:42:15 PM PDT
Sheshechic says:
He achieved a better image by turning off the processing of the BDT500 and adjusting his tv.

There's a big price gap between this and the 320 and I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth it. It doesn't sound justified to me. I just think that some people may be better served by investing in a better avr that passes 3D.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 6:04:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 25, 2012 6:12:28 AM PDT
He may have a $1,000 AVR that is just old enough to not have HDMI 1.4 ports, but that serves all his other needs. If to get a comparable unit but with 3D he has to spend another $1,000, I think he's better off purchasing this one instead.

Personally, I was doubting between this one and the BDT310, which also has 2 HDMI ports, since my AVR doesn't have 1.4 HDMI ports.

Ended up getting the 310, and is already set up, but I need to do some tinkering because it's only outputting 2.0 PCM through the secondary HDMI port at the moment. A very big turn off from the get-go, but I think I've found my answer on an amazon review, so I'll try that.

I thought really hard about the BDT500 because it looks nice, and everybody talks about the audio qualities. It has analog and digital outputs, dedicated sound processing of higher quality, and I believe added video processing.

Yesterday I decided to purchase an Onkyo refurbished receiver, middle of the pack, the 609, that would go for up to $800, and got it for $225. So not bad, and now, I could go get any 3D bluray player.

But the only reason why it works out for me is because I found a good deal and I still have another 3D TV downstairs in need of a 3d bluray player. All things said, the downstairs might end up connected to a low end Denon avr that does have 3d. However, it was so low level that it's not up to my standards (yeah it was a great deal too, bundled with 5.1 denon speakers for $200)

In my case, I was able to go the "switch the avr" route, but many other people may not be able to, or want to.

I don't like the 320 simply because of the remote. I'd rather have most of the options already in the remote. The one in the bdt500 seems to have at least more buttons. (I had the LG magic wand and that was a pain) I want a panasonic bluray player downstairs, since it'll be connected to a panasonic tc-p55st30 plasma. I have logitech harmony one remotes upstairs and downstairs, so the not liking the remote may be a moot point.

You may also ask, why does somebody spend $300 for a ps3 JUST to play bluray movies (not talking about gamers), when it can't output 3d and HD sound at the same time? At the same price range, I wonder if I'd rather get another ps3 for downstairs, or the bdt500. I'm sure the sound would be greatly improved, and the video may be as well. However, the PS3 menus are faster, and netflix hd looks great. By the way, supposedly the BDT500 is the only bluray player with HD Netflix (I'm guessing it's higher quality that hd netflix lol) Again, this is just something I've read, and I'm not sure about.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›