Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., July 27, 2012
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T4i DSLR (Body Only) (OLD MODEL) (Electronics)
I have been using a Rebel XTi for the last 5 years and I loved it. I've been ready to upgrade for a while and thought to get the T3i, but decided to hold out for this update. I was getting a little frustrated by the limitations of my outdated model, specifically the high noise and low ISO range. The new Digic 5 chip in the T4i is incredible. I am blown away at how better and more accurate this camera is at focusing, metering, and the insanely improved noise reduction. I highly recommend this camera to anyone looking to upgrade, but not ready to make the $2K+ plunge into the 5D realm.

I've been using this for a few weeks and here's my take so far:
-Much welcomed high ISO range with very good noise control.
-The battery life is much improved. I'm kind of shocked, actually. I've taken 2000+ pictures, a few with flash, and several (usually battery-killing) long (10-300 sec) exposures, still on all three bars.
-The night scene modes and noise reduction modes are GREAT.
-The HDR mode is cool but I've notice the camera isn't as good as software (such as Photomatix) at blending the pictuers, specifically when it comes to ghosting and mainting edge-contrast integrity. This mode is also limited on customizeability of the toning/fusion process as compared to HDR software.
-The touch screen and swivel movement are incredible. You can take shots that were otherwise impossible to get, such as the camera being above your head or low to the ground. Focusing on any point with touch is also great.
-The video quality is superb, but I'm not really in the video shooting business. It's just fun to have.
-I only bought the body, and would recommend this to anyone who can afford to not have the kit lense, despite it's conveneint wide focal range. There are much, much better lenses out there. Even the $100 fixed 50mm is night and day to the kit lens.

Overall, I'm smitten with this camera. Canon knocked it out of the park. I wish I could've been patient for the price to drop a little, but I'm very glad I have it right now.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 28, 2012 4:50:26 PM PDT
S. Loos says:
Excellent post. I just have one question for you. You mentioned that you would recommend the camera for anyone that "can afford to not have the kit lens." I am a bit confused by which kit lens you are talking about and exactly what you mean by that comment. I am planning on buying this camera with the 18-135mm STM lens because I want to use it as a camcorder, in addition to just a camera, and hope that that lens will be my standard lens for a while until I upgrade to perhaps the 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 lens. Are you saying that perhaps that 18-135mm STM kit lens may not be that great? Again, just a little clarification would be nice. Thanks again for your review, very much enjoyed it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 5:11:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 29, 2012 5:22:05 PM PDT
Griff says:
Well like I said, I'm not really in this for the video, but if you are planning on shooting without an external mic, you probably want a lens with the silent focus. But as far as the kit lenses (referring to the NON STM lenses, as I have no experience with them) go for taking stills, you pretty much get what you pay for. The IS factor is nice, and true beginners will probably enjoy and be well off with the kit lens for stills. Hope this helps to answer your question.

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 10:58:54 PM PDT
Avid Reader says:
can you confirm the 3000+ photo's-I'm wondering if you meant to type 300+? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 11:46:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2012 11:47:19 PM PDT
Griff says:
Whoops that was a typo, I meant to put 2000+ plus. I fixed it in my review. My apologies. And for the record, I just charged my battery for the first time (since I charged before the first use) and my counter is at 2566. I'm very satisfied with the battery. Again, I can't speak to the video aspect of things. Surely the battery life will vary for everyone depending on how they use the camera, be it flash-use, long-exposure, LCD use, etc. I'm going to go shoot star trails in a few weeks and I'll update my review when I get more use out of it. I plan on testing it with the lens cap on before I go out as well to see how many consecutive 30-s shots I can get out of one charge. I would say for typical, day use without flash and few long exposures, one can easily get 2000 shots out of a fully charged, healthy battery.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›