3.0 out of 5 stars Neither great or awful, April 2, 2011
This review is from: Holy Harmony (MP3 Music)
I'm going to start this by saying I'm Jewish, so I was somewhat nervous about buying this particular product. My first thought upon reading the reviews and description was "I'm not a Christian." The idea of tapping into "Christ energy" and the repetition of the "YHVH" -- again, suggesting Christ -- was doing a good job of making me consider and reconsider whether this was a good idea for me. However, after reading the reviews, good and bad, and recognizing that "Christ energy" is similar to the "Shechina" as mentioned in Judaism and the Kabbalah, I opted to give it a try. Furthermore, I'm impressed with Goldman's use of harmonies to help with healing and strength -- so that was another point in this particular recording's favor.

After listening to "Holy Harmony" several times, I can sincerely say that I'm neither a raving fan or horribly annoyed by the product. I WILL say my fears about "Christ energy" were unjustified -- and this is a point to the marketers of the product. This idea might turn off a lot of potential purchasers, otherwise.

But back to the recording itself. The reviewer complaints I read were that the constant repetition of the Yod-Hay-Vav-Hay became annoying after awhile. But I found that the main point of this album isn't necessarily the repetition of these powerful Hebrew letters as much as it is the tuning forks used for healing purposes. What I found was that, after awhile, the chorale blended into the background, and my ear instead focused on the different "divine" frequencies produced by the tuning forks.

On the other hand, I wasn't transported into different realms, embraced by holy light, or much of anything else, as some reviewers who listened to this recording were. The best use of this particular album for me is that it's good background while I work; but it's not very effective as either a meditative tool or one to help me get to sleep. Goldman has produced other recordings that are much more effective on that end for me -- his "Crystal Bowl Chakra Chants," for example, do a much better job of helping me drift off to sleep, relax, or move into a meditative state.

This is not to suggest that "Holy Harmony" is awful, useless or ineffective (again, I use it while I work and write; it just doesn't work for ME as a meditative tool). What I'm trying to say is that each individual is unique. I'm glad that individuals who are positive about this product are receiving great benefits from it. I also understand some of the negative comments this recording has generated.

The main lesson here is that not everything is going to work for everyone. But trying different recordings, and methods, are good ways to become more self-aware about what will -- and won't -- work for you.

[Add comment]