4.0 out of 5 stars Don't hate, November 3, 2007
This review is from: Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the Same (Collector's Edition) (DVD)
I was surprised at how many folks hate this movie and the concert recording therein. Many of the complaints are about the sub-par show. I disagree. Maybe it's because I don't think the show is that bad. I enjoy the soundtrack a lot. In fact, the version of many of the songs are more enjoyable than the originals for me, especially (gasp) Stairway to Heaven.
The footage is grade A cheese, but so what? Is there no value in Jimmy Page and his devilishy horrible glowing red eyes or the bizarre mafia sequence or John Paul Jones scaring the crap out of his kids? As a special kick for Pittsburgh folk like myself, the opening sequence of the arrival at the airport and the supposed drive to the MSG show was actually footage from Pittsburgh and not NYC, so that always got a rousing cheer from us stoners at the Stanley Theater midnight showings.
This is a classic bit of raw rock and roll. It isn't studio wizardry, especially welcome coming from master producer and reknowned anal retentive control freak Jimmy Page. I still enjoy the charm of this movie despite the flaws. Live music is about more than perfection. Perhaps it is the perceived smudge on the shiny veneer of the Zeppelin image that many of the fans have. For me, it just makes the band that much more appealing. Carry me back, indeed.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 23, 2007 10:54:47 AM PST
Steve, well said. I love this flick. It's an absolute classic and one of THE greatest rock and roll movies of all time. (add one more star, buddy).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2007 3:10:23 PM PST
Steve says:
You know - I can't change the star ratings once submitted. There are quite a few reviews I wish I could go back and alter but you can't in Amazon...oh well, thanks for the support! I agree with you 100%. When I read what the "experts" say, movies like Gimme Shelter always get rave reviews while this rarely even makes their list. I am a huge Stones fan and wish they had a movie this great in their vast cannon of material. They have improved over the last few decades, but what I wouldn't give for a concert film of the '72 tour that was the equal to The Song Remains the Same. Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones, let alone not being legally available, doesn't come close.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2008 12:55:38 PM PST
Dude, I do not know how you can say that. I saw LADIES AND GENTLEMEN in the theater when it came out and it was a FAR BETTER film than zeps - for 2 reasons.
They don't butcher their songs by screwing around with them for 45 minutes (meaning you get to see more songs performed) and they did not put any stupid acting bits in - which is why everybody hates this movie. We want to see the SONGS BEING PLAYED.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2008 8:26:10 AM PST
Steve says:
My big complaint about L&G is the poor quality comparitively and the Jagger-centric camera work. I just think the video quality here is top notch and you get a pretty balanced representation of the band. Yeah, the little personal bits are odd, but there aren't that intrusive to me and they give you some humanity to the members. I would think that some family type video of Keef would've been cool to see circa '72. As for the extended versions of songs, that's just a band thing - they've always extended their songs live. I don't see one as better or worse, just different. I could do without Moby Dick, but for some reason I lilke the half hour version of Dazed and Confused. Self-indulgent? Unquestionably. But, it's who they are and I happen to not mind it.
The reason I say that the Stones have improved is the excellent balance of their last few dvd releases - plenty of options to see everyone, high quality resolution, and we don't have to be subjected to endless close-ups of Jagger. In SRTS, I can see Jimmy play his guitar for more than a nano-second, the interplay between Bonzo and JPJ, and lots of other nice things you'd not see otherwise, something sorely lacking from L&G.
Thanks for the opinion though. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2008 6:24:28 PM PDT
True, but you gotta remember--it was the '70s, and there were certain influences involved in the making of this film. To understand just how cheezy it could get, watch "Heavy Metal" (made, it's true, in 1981, but still). This kind of music seems to inspire the most embarrassing versions of male fantasy.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2008 8:23:38 PM PDT
Steve says:
I will have to dig it out of the rental bins some day and refresh my clouded memory. It might end up being the first time I have ever seen that movie in a sober and drug-free frame of mind...I remember the magazine pretty vividly and yes, it was some cheezy stuff, but then again, it seems to still exist in many of the manga comics.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2009 1:30:47 PM PST
Steve; I was an usher at the Stanley loved those days. I alwaya got a kick out of the p arckway footage also. Best show at the Stanley was Van Halen on the 2nd album tour. J Giels a close 2nd.
Take Care .

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2009 3:21:47 PM PST
Steve says:
Nice! Thanks for the shout-out! I loved shows at the Stanley. Seeing Van Halen before they hit the arenas had to be sweet. I remember lots of shows there - Pretenders early on (just before half their band died), Kinks, etc. Never a bad time ever in that place. The Syria Mosque had some good shows, too....SRV, Zappa, David Gilmour, Santana....amazing I still remember!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›