4.0 out of 5 stars Epic game that requires time and effort, October 24, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dark Souls - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I found out about Dark Souls through one of my close friends who is an absolute Demon's Souls fiend. After reading all the previews and checking out the game play footage, I decided to buy this game and give it a try (and yes, I knew about the difficulty going in).

After spending about 10 hours on the game, I eventually decided to trade it in. Contrary to what most people are probably thinking (and before any of you Dark Souls fan boys start bashing me), I didn't trade it in because of the insane difficulty. I traded it in because I am a new father and after playing the game for about 10 hours, I knew I would not have the necessary time and effort needed to complete this epic game. If you are a dedicated gamer like my friend, I salute you. There were plenty of moments in this game that left me with a terrific sense of accomplishment after completing a certain area or defeating a certain boss (asylum demon, gargoyles, taurus demon, etc.), but in the end, this game just wasn't for me.

One word of advice to anyone who is considering purchasing this game and has not done any research on it... DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy this game if you are susceptible to gamer rage, or if you are prone to getting frustrated very easily. This is not the type of game you buy if you want to relax and take your stress away.

PROS
* The level of character customization is ridiculous. There are plenty of classes to choose from and plenty of weapons, armors, spells, rings, etc. to equip on your character throughout the game.
* The unique multi-player experience is second to none. The ability to read messages left by other players helps tremendously, not to mention the fact that you can summon another player to help you defeat a difficult boss.
* The world of Dark Souls is HUGE. There are a ton of areas to explore in this game. The graphics were superb in my opinion. The enemies looked great. And the music was tension-filled during boss battles.
* You really get a sense of accomplishment when you complete a certain area that you've been playing for a while, or you finally defeat a boss that has been giving you problems.

CON
* I would've given Dark Souls 5 stars if not for the fact that you lose all your souls if you die before reaching a bonfire. Yes, you can reclaim your lost souls if you make it back to the place where you died, but you only get one shot at it and the repetition of having to play the same area over and over again just kills it for me after a while. I just felt like it was a layer of difficulty that wasn't needed and doesn't add much to the overall experience of the game. I can deal with the challenging gameplay, the inability to pause the game, the limited number of bonfires, the dying after getting hit 2-3 times, etc. But I cannot tell you how frustrating it is to play an hour or two, collect thousands of souls, then lose it before reaching a save point. This is where "not having the necessary time and effort" comes into play.

So overall, would I recommend Dark Souls to someone? If they have patience, dedication, and are not prone to frustration, then hell yes I would recommend it. But if they are just looking to relax and get away from their everyday lives, then I would steer clear of this game.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 25, 2011 7:51:07 AM PDT
Choppra says:
Good review Mah Fon!

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 1:05:34 PM PDT
new Tron says:
Nice review. Very straight forward and honest.

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 9:48:26 AM PDT
Spug the Pug says:
Good review on the pro's and con's of the game - for those who don't have the necessary time (like myself), I recommend giving it a go, but buy it used when it drops down a few bucks. It really is a unique gaming experiance, but the time commitment pretty much had me getting to the 4th boss, beating it, looking at my log clock, and calling it a day.

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 5:41:36 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2011 6:30:40 PM PDT
krazedant says:
Good point. I should've noted that you can reclaim your lost souls and I've edited my review to reflect this. Thanks for the feedback.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2011 8:39:14 AM PDT
Yeah no problem.

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 2:19:58 PM PST
I can relate to the new father thing. My son's about to be a year old. I mainly play this when he and my wife are both sleep. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2011 6:51:16 AM PST
krazedant says:
Same for me, my kid is 5 months old and she likes to fall asleep on the living room sofa where my xbox is. But it was a good excuse to pick up some turtle beach headsets LOL

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 9:53:12 AM PST
E. McManus says:
Great review! Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2013 3:40:01 PM PDT
dirtyvarmint says:
Even this misses the point. Losing all your souls when you die is a major part of the game. Think about it, this was a deliberate choice by the developers. Giving you one more chance to get your souls back isn't meant to be "fair", it's meant to add an additional element of suspense to the gameplay.
Besides, collecting souls and leveling up is not the point of this game. Most Souls fans collect enough souls to be able to get the levels and items they need to play the game the way they want and then deliberately avoid gaining any more levels. It is meant to be challenging.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (437 customer reviews)

$39.99 $15.68