Facility Spring Cleaning BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

4.0 out of 5 stars Now a great value, October 28, 2009
This review is from: Casio Men's AMW330D-1AV Stainless Steel Watch with Link Bracelet (Watch)
I bought this watch for a timed test because I wanted a rotating bezel (the test does not allow digital timers). This watch is serviceable and attractive enough, however the quality and features would make me rethink this purchase given the chance.

NEGATIVES

I found that the analog timer on this watch is very useful, except when the hands are covering the tiny timer dials. For this reason, I couldn't always rely on the timer. The bezel is absolutely garbage. It gets stuck for no reason, and when it's not stuck it's too loose to keep your place reliably. If you're looking for a quick way to time a close approximation, the bezel may be for you.

The quality of construction is feels questionable. For the reasons metioned above (lame bezel), as well as just the overall feel. The band is disproportionately weighted to the watch face, and everything just feels cheap. I realize this isn't meant to be a rolex, but for $100 I feel that you could get a better watch.

POSITIVES

The watch has kept time very accurately to the best of my knowledge. It's also easy to use. The problems I've had occur infrequently, so overall this is a highly functional watch. I really like that it's extremely waterproof. It also looks decently cool, depending on your tastes. I have gotten compliments on this watch, however it is not at all flashy. I've dropped the watch a few times and it remains undented and still working smoothly.

The watch is simple to adjust if you've ever used an analog watch, it's standard.

VERDICT

Decent looking, sturdy construction, cheap-feeling band materials, unique features. Large, easy-to read face. Rotating bezel and analog timer. If you need the features that this watch offers and can't find it at a better price, then this watch is serviceable. Its lifetime warranty suggests that this watch will keep working for a long time.

EDIT: At the time this review was written, 3 years ago, the watch was $100. Amazon has since lowered the price, and I believe the new price more closely reflects the watch's value. I'd personally like to see it around $60-65, but it's got a lot of unique features, like a 2-way bezel and analog timer, that may be hard to find somewhere else for less. FYI the watch is still holding up well, just had to do one battery change so far.

EDIT2: Well, Amazon lowered the price yet again, so I've raised my review to 4 stars. I now think it's actually a pretty amazing value, and yes, it's still holding up (but still don't like the weight).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 18, 2012 8:57:00 PM PST
Joseph says:
Please Enlighten us about the other watches with better quality for lesser price.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 11:37:46 AM PST
Jerome says:
Enlighten us about the other watches with better quality for lesser price.
I was going to ask the same question.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 11:58:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2013 12:04:03 PM PST
Tandy says:
Well like I said in the review, it's a perfectly serviceable watch so I didn't run out and buy another one (money is a factor). Without having any personal experience with other watches, I can't make a recommendation for a watch with the same features, and Amazon lowered the price of this watch since I reviewed it 3 years ago so it's a better value now than it was then. I myself now use a digital watch (Timex iron man) for about a third of the price and it is a lot easier to use and feels more rugged (but it's not a fair comparison, because it's a resin digital watch). If you want a metal watch, there's a ton on this site for a lot less that look the same or better, but don't have the analog timer or a rotating bezel etc. I recently bought a casio metal digital watch for $25 that gets more compliments than this one.

The watch served its purpose as an analog timer--but for $100 I just expect a little more (why are the timer dials blocked by the large watch hands? Why does the bezel get stuck? Why are the minute/hour dials so tiny? Why is the face 100x heavier than the band?). So unless your needs are VERY specific (analog timer with rotating bezel--and even then, better values may exist I just don't know), I personally feel this watch is overpriced because it doesn't do anything as well as a different watch would (doesn't time as well as a digital, doesn't look as good as other metal watches, isn't particularly light or comfortable). All that said, it's held up very well (still have it 3 years later and use it occasionally) and because I needed an analog timer at the time, I don't regret my purchase at all.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›