Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars Weigh all your oprions before you decide., August 20, 2011
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapPad1 Explorer Learning Tablet, pink (Toy)
My daughter got her LeapPad two days ago. She likes it so far but seems to be already getting tired of the apps that came with it (story studio, pet pad, art studio and a game of your choice). If you already own Leapster Explorer you will be able to use the games you own, if you don't - be prepared to spend between $7-10 for each app. You might still want to purchase Explorer games as well ($15-25).

The installation and software update took about 2 hours!!! My daughter had to go to bed before she even got a chance to play with her new toy. The next day she wouldn't stop playing with the LeapPad, and by 6pm we had to replace the batteries. We use 2 rechargeable sets and have been replacing the batteries once every day so far.

Today I noticed some minor scratches on the front of the LeapPad (on the screen and on the casing). You might want to pick up a screen protector (LeapPad Gel Skin is available in October).
The idea of stylus might be a little dangerous for a 4 y.o, but I guess, if you are concerned about that, you can put it away until your child gets a little older.

I have to admit that there is a wide selection of games available for this device, and Explorer compatibility is a definite plus. However, I believe buying an android tablet would've been a better choice. I have seen some sold for the same price as the LeapPad. Even if you spend a little more it might still be worth it, as many android apps are available at no cost. Other companies are also coming out with similar tablets (such as VTech's InnoTab). Nintendo DS is mostly for gaming but it has similar art studio, a camera and a wi-fi and doesn't cost much more (unless it is a 3d model). My advice: spend some time researching other options before investing $100 (closer to $200 with all the extras) on LeapPad.

***UPDATE. I decided to change my rating to 4 stars and here is why: For those who are on the market to buy an educational toy, can't decide which one and your kids are too young to play with a tablet, LeapPad is a very good choice. It does have a big 5" screen, the graphics are good, it has a camera, a video recorder and a microphone (unlike Leapster Explorer). It lets players create separate profiles and sign in under different names, it has a USB cord to upload the pictures, videos and art to the computer.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 22, 2011 7:19:07 AM PDT
Ben Perez says:
Thanks for the review... Rechargeable batteries are a good idea, I already have mine ready. Didn't realize that the screen would get scratched, that's not good, I'll have to look into screen protectors as you suggest. My daughters birthday is in two weeks, so it looks like I'm going to open this and go through the software installation and then pack it back up so she can avoid the 2 hour install.

As far as other choices... I have researched the android, DS, etc. and I just don't find the learning apps are there when compared to this toy, and I would say the same about the ipad, they're just not as kid/learning friendly. I bought 6 carts for this on the amazon marketplace and they only ran me an average of about $15 each.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2011 10:01:41 PM PDT
I agree with you Ben, the educational value of DS isn't there when compared to Leapsters. LeapPad is a not a bad choice but I think it is overpriced (it is only a toy after all). The price of tablets has been going down and now you can get one for $100-150. It might not be the best one but it has a 10" screen. I also researched "educational android apps" on Amazon and found some interesting ones such as "Kid Math", "Pencil", "First Words" and many more. Most of them are free. My son is 5 and is going to first grade; I had been thinking of getting him a LeapPad as well before my daughter got hers. I changed my mind and will be getting a tablet, that way he will be able to use it as a computer too.
As far as installation, it might take you less time (depends on your computer I guess), but it is a good idea to preinstall everything before giving it to your daughter as a gift. She would definitely want to try it right away and I hope she loves it:)

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 6:47:11 AM PDT
Wow that's for the review, and follow-up comments. I'm most surprised about the battery situation as I would have thought it would be rechargeable like the IPad or other electronic devices ie cell phone, camera, IPod etc ...

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 8:48:14 PM PDT
Thanks for the review. My boys enjoy their Leapster Explorers and I was thinking about getting the LeapPad as a birthday gift for my oldest. Their Explorers have gone through accidental droppings and pretty rough treatment with the stylus (it's been 8 months) and the screen seems to still be in great shape so it's a bummer to hear your screen already has a scratch. I'm wondering if the screen for the LeapPad is made of the same material as the Explorer. I haven't seen any of the LeapPads in the stores so I guess I'll wait to try it out.

In response to your update, we have the camera/video attachments(sold separately) for the Explorers and they DO record sound so the microphone is either on the Explorer or attachment. It's pretty snazzy and the boys have fun taking pics/videos. And it's VERY durable. But it would be nice to see their work on a bigger 5" screen.

Posted on Aug 29, 2011 6:53:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2011 6:51:08 PM PDT
We also got a Explorer last year for our then 3 and 5 year olds; it is backward compatible to the explorer games and most the apps can be used by both (found 1 so far that only works in the LeapPad as it uses the gyro for controls).

If you have some kind of tablet (Ipad, Playbook, etc) and your kids have asked you to borrow it, I think the upgrade is worth having; we may actually go for the 2nd one so that they both have one.

I am also looking to protect the screen; I think it is made of the same material than the explorer, but given that it is much bigger it is more prone to getting hit more frequently.

I was able to cut one of the left over I pad protectors to fit the LeapPad and it works excellent.

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 11:02:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2011 11:06:59 PM PDT
Discoceris says:
You also have to take into account who you are purchasing this device for. Would you purchase an Android tablet or an iPad for a 4 year old? 5 year old? If they drop it, more than likely, the touch screen will be damaged. Even if it doesn't, there's enough sensitive parts to these expensive devices that will render the device useless. And good luck trying to get warranty to cover for damages if your excuse was you let your child play with it. Most Android tablets (good ones) and the iPad are well over $200 and this particular product is about $100. The "apps" aren't exactly $0.99 but they are about what you would spend for on children's books. Maybe Amazon.com may look into making a Kindle that could double as an inexpensive tablet PC that is packaged for children.

Edit: We purchased this just a day ago for our 2 year old. While she may not be nuanced enough to fully understand, as they say, it's never too early to expose your children to learning material. The product is sturdy and feels well constructed. Compare this to a $599 Sony Tablet S or any other such products where they are thin, flimsy and liable to break when dropped.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 7:20:46 AM PST
GMC says:
Does anyone know if the gel skin protects the screen?

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 11:17:57 AM PDT
Trish D says:
My daughter uses my tablet now and the reason i decided to get her a leap pad versus a tablet is the fact that when playing the apps on the tablet there is just too many ways to go from that app to the internet and its hard for her to figure out how to get back to the game. With the leap pad i dont have to worry about that. I figure if shes three and knows how to navigate my tablet she should have absolutely no problems with the leap pad. I cant wait to get it and have her open it for her birthday :-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›