3.0 out of 5 stars Only if you must have a cord-free saw, February 27, 2008
This review is from: Black & Decker CHS6000 6-Volt Handisaw Cordless Powered Hand Saw (Tools & Home Improvement)
I was tempted to use "Wimpy, wimpy, wimpy" as the title for this review, but I haven't tried any other battery-powered jigsaws for comparison. My old Black & Decker AC jigsaw (which I paid $15 for) is far superior in every way---except that it requires an AC outlet, and changing blades is a hassle. Changing blades on the Handisaw is quick and easy, requiring no tools---A+.

I wanted the Handisaw largely as a tree prunner---however, even with a pruning blade, it really cannot handle branches greater than 3/4"---and is painfully slow cutting even a 3/8" branch---wimpy, wimpy, wimpy. A switch-blade type manual pruning saw is faster and easier. I tried cutting a 1/2" length of galvanized electrical conduit (using the metal blade), and the saw repeatedly stalled---wimpy, wimpy, wimpy. My old AC jigsaw has never stalled.

Then too I find the basic design to be very annoying: There is an extra switch you have to depress with your thumb before the trigger will work (which fortunately is easily defeated with a chip of wood and 2" of masking tape). There is no "lock on" switch---so you can't take your hand off of the switch for a more secure grip (fortunately this can be defeated with a 1/2"x 1 1/2 rubber band from a bunch of broccoli). The trigger is 8 1/2" from whatever you are cutting, making it difficult to hold the blade where you want to cut (I normally hold jig-saws "by the business end" (near the blade) for precise control---but that is impossible with this saw (unless you defeat the trigger as described).

My cheapy AC jigsaw is variable speed---the Handisaw is not. So the Handisaw is hard to start at a precise point, almost always splinters wood, and almost always stalls in thin metal. Finally, as related by another reviewer---you can't see where you are cutting (although that too is fixible by cutting away a portion of the unnecessary plastic sheild around the blade. In summary, I use this tool only when I'm too lazy to string an extention cord for my AC jigsaw or saber-saw. But then---I'm embarassed to admit, that's most of the time.

Still, I wish it was more powerful.
I wish that it did not have the stupid lock-out switch.
I wish that it had a lock-on switch.
I wish that it was variable speed.
I wish that I could see the material I am cutting.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 14, 2010 12:33:12 PM PDT
JSpangler says:
Such a good review--thank you!

Posted on Mar 21, 2010 4:28:55 AM PDT
SandyBeach says:
Fabulous review. Thanks so much.

Posted on Aug 4, 2010 7:10:17 AM PDT
SavvyCat says:
I like the way you defeat all of the safety features. I work for an orthopaedic surgeon specializing in hand surgery who once said, "Without Skil (as in Skil saw) and stupidity, I wouldn't have a job."

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2012 4:26:53 PM PST
Love this comment. It looks like it was designed by a lawyer!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2012 5:12:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2012 5:44:22 AM PDT
Stoney says:
So called "safety features" are not truly safety features if they make the tool impossible to use in a safe way. These "safety features" are in that catagory. If you cannot adequately control a tool (in this case because you cannot get a secure grip, because the power switch is so far from the work surface, and because your view of the work surface is obstructed) then the tool is unsafe to use. Try peeling an grapefruit with a dull knife---it is far more dangerous than with a sharp knife, because when you have to force a tool, you loose control.

I similarly purchased a "hazardous" B&D hedgetrimmer---why is it hazardous? Because it is so poorly designed that the muscles of your forearms and wrists are screaming with pain and fatigue within a few minutes. That's when accidents happen.

I'm a geezer with all his fingers and toes. I've never broken a single bone. As the son of a carpenter and mechanic, I've been using power tools for most of my 60+ years. I'm a fanatic for safety. But, defeating THESE alledged "safety" features makes the saw much safer to use.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 2:56:31 AM PDT
firebomb says:
Now this is a review, you used demonstration, and comparisons to other products, thanks to this review you've saved me money and I'm getting the cheaper B&D corded saw for less and a heavy duty extension cord, thank you very much!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 5:10:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2012 5:19:40 AM PDT
Thanks!
I suggest caution though. Although I used to be a B&D fan, I've been very dissatisfied with every B&D product I've purchased (or borrowed from a neighbor) for the past 5 years. They appear to have intentionally redesigned their entire line of products to be user-hostile. It would be hard to screw-up the design of a classic AC jigsaw---but if anybody can do so, its B&D.

Posted on Jul 13, 2013 8:06:38 PM PDT
dwd says:
A - it's 6 volts
b - most saws today have the safety switch
c - it 's a little trim saw, of course it doesn't have the power of an ac saw, neither does an 18volt.

d - are you really that clueless ???

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2013 8:19:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 13, 2013 8:26:53 PM PDT
Stoney says:
Thanks for your comment. Please note that the "handisaw" is a poor performer, even for "a little trim saw". Power is the least of its short commings. It is simply very poorly designed.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›