Books with Buzz Courage To Act by Ben S. Bernanke Learn more Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Joe Bonamassa All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Kids Halloween

5.0 out of 5 stars This Mouse is a Delight, August 30, 2009
This review is from: Logitech Wireless Performance Mouse MX for PC and Mac (Personal Computers)
I'm used to being disappointed by products after reading the advertising hype. Not so with this mouse--I'm very happy that I spent the money that I did to buy it. I've used it every day for several hours for a week now and I like it better as time goes on.

Ergonomics: The mouse is very comfortable and well-designed. My previous mouse had forward & back buttons near the thumb area, but they were so close to where my thumb was positioned that I would often hit one when first grasping the mouse. The thumb-rest on this mouse is very well-designed; it's easier to hold & control the mouse because the grip is so much surer.

Zoom, Forward & Back Buttons: These three buttons are located a bit above the thumb rest and are very intuitive. The zoom button is just above your thumb, but far enough that I don't accidentally press it. When I do use it, the wheel increases or decreases the size of the image. Hit it again, and the zoom mode goes off, but nicely leaves the image at the size that you set it so you can continue working.

The Forward and Back buttons are above the zoom button and I found them comfortably placed to access when I wanted them but not get in the way when I didn't. They work well--it's usually easier to hit the back button than move the mouse to the left arrow in my browser.

Scroll Wheel: Here, the mouse pleasantly surprised me with its "hyper-scroll" feature. I expected a slightly enhanced scrolling capability--after all, when marketing people write "hyper," meaning super-duper and extreme to the max, they usually mean that this version works properly where their previous product was buggy. OK, I'm cynical. This feature is a true improvement. When you press a release button that is conveniently located slightly behind the scroll wheel, it frees the scroll wheel to spin, enabling you to scroll through pages very fast. When you touch the wheel to stop it from spinning, the scrolling stops instantaneously. You can simply push the release button again and you're back to "click" scrolling.

Slightly Strange Software: The software that comes in the package on a CD enables you to adjust certain mouse settings to suit your own preferences. However, you must go into the Control Panel / Mouse application to set things like the number of lines per wheel "click," the "double-click speed," and the pointer image (I like a large black arrow because of vision problems). I would have expected an integrated suite of software that handled all of these things, or at least advice from the manufacturer that informed me that certain mouse settings had to be made in the control panel.

Other Stuff: Simple things enhance this mouse, like very low-friction feet. All of my previous mice were harder to move on the desk or table surface and therefore harder to control. The only alternative that I could think of was to go into the control panel and set the "mouse speed" slower than it was when I was doing any kind of fine work. With this mouse, the low-friction feet make it much easier to make fine movements with the pointer, and in general make the mouse more pleasant to use.

Speaking of friction, the mouse has rubberized pads on the right and left sides, making for a non-slip grip, unlike my previous mouse, which was clearly molded from recycled potato peels or something. The serious point is that I haven't yet found my fingers slipping when accessing any button.

Overall Comfort: A harder-to-define characteristic is how the mouse feels overall. I find my hand and arm less tired, and the grip feels natural to me--it is shaped correctly to my hand. Previous mice, like the piece of... well, let's say "low-priced" mouse that Dell supplied with my computer, forced my hand to conform to the mouse. The result is a feeling of "rightness" when I first take hold of this device.

Battery Recharge: Logitec thought through this one very nicely. I've had the mouse for a week and charged when I first got it. It's been on all this time. BTW, the mouse actually has an "on-off" switch. After I pulled the mouse out of its box, I charged it while I was using it by simply connecting the mini-USB connector to the wall charger. It was then similar to using a wired mouse while it was charging. Logitec also supplies a USB cable so you can charge the mouse from any of your computer's USB ports. No putting the mouse into a cradle to recharge, which prevents you from using the computer.

Receiver Extender Cable (USB): None of Logitec's literature and no review that I've found properly states the simple reason for this cable: when you have problems with erratic pointer movements because of interference, too great a distance from the mouse to the receiver or obstructions between them, this cable enables you to move the receiver closer to the mouse. This gives you a so-called "inverse square-law" advantage in signal strength: for example, at half of the distance between the mouse and the receiver, the mouse's transmitted signal strength is four times higher at the receiver.

I paid $99 for this mouse at Best Buy in NJ. I think that this is a case where paying more gets you more. This mouse is a great product and I recommend it.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 2, 2009 10:56:13 AM PDT
This was a really helpful review. Thanks for taking the time to write it. It makes me much less uncomfortable about spending $100 for a mouse.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2009 12:08:04 PM PDT
Jack Puglis says:
You're welcome, Ron. I felt like I was "taking a chance" for $99 because I couldn't find any adequate reviews. I hope that you're as pleased with this mouse as I am.

I wrote the post on August 30. It's now September 2 and I still haven't had to recharge the mouse. I've left it "on" all of this time.

Posted on Nov 18, 2009 8:11:00 AM PST
Nonesuch says:
I'd like to add my thanks for the time you spent in this review - it has enabled me to purchase two, one for each of the workstations here. Your review contained more definitive information than any of the various product descriptions I've read and if life were fair, you're due a commission :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2009 9:35:35 AM PST
Jack Puglis says:
You're very welcome. I wrote the review because even with the internet, finding key details about a product is still very painful.

I'm still just as enthusiastic about this mouse after 2 1/2 months as when I wrote the original review. Now that I've been using the "hyper-scroll" feature, I find that I use it almost without thinking and would be very unhappy without it.

I hope that you remain as happy as I am with this device!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2009 5:06:28 PM PST
Arlen Pavka says:
Hello! Nice review, I had a couple questions if you don't mind answering them :)

I saw on images at New Egg that the Mouse actually takes two double AAs is this the case, can you fill me on that part? If it doesn't is the rechargable battery removable? I've got an old Logitech MX Wireless mouse about 4 years old where the battery just can't take much of a charge anymore, but unlike other products I've seen the battery is irreplaceable.

Secondly, am I reading that right when you say the scroll wheel can move on its own?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2009 5:26:51 PM PST
Hello, Arlen,

The mouse takes one AA, not two, and it is also marked HR6, although I don't what that designation means. It's rechargeable and it's easily replaceable. I have no idea what a replacement battery costs. You can get to it through a battery door on the bottom of the mouse that simply snaps open and closed with your finger.

And yes, the scroll wheel moves on its own when you push the release button. This is really the key to fast scrolling.

To be more explicit, when you look at the scrool wheel, you see a rubberized, serrated outer surface. Immediately beneath that is a steel interior--it looks like stainless steel. That appears to provide the mass for the momentum that keeps the wheel spinning when you push the release button and then "flick" it with your finger. It appears to be acting like a flywheel. I think it's a very intelligent design.

I didn't know how useful it would be at first, but, being the impatient person that I am, my finger seems to move to the release button almost by itself to release the wheel from "click" mode to what Logitec calls "hyperscroll" mode whenever I need to scroll quickly down a long document. It now feels natural and is very satisfying to my desire to have everything happen instantaneously. (I get impatient if my computer fails to respond after about two seconds!)

I hopes that this helps, my friend.

Posted on Jul 5, 2010 7:06:05 PM PDT
D. Levine says:
Jack - At the risk of redundancy, thanks for the terrific review. Question: The packaging refers to the ability to toggle among multiple windows. Can it do this? Do you find it helpful? Also, can it be used to toggle among multiple tabs within a browser window?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2010 5:16:11 AM PDT
Hello, Mr. Levine,

Yes, it can do so. There's a thumb button at the base of the thumb rest that reduces all current screens to smaller versions of themselves. You can then left-click on the screen that you want to maximize. It's very simple and convenient to use.

I can't tell you if it's helpful or not because I never pushed myself to get used to using this feature. That's not a faling in the mouse or its design, but rather because it's a feature that doesn't appeal to the way that I think.

I hope that this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2010 5:54:41 AM PDT
D. Levine says:
Yes it does. Thanks for the prompt reply.

Posted on Sep 11, 2010 8:17:01 AM PDT
Dave Swaim says:
Actually the USB extension cable has two uses. First is because your mouse might be too far away transmitter/receiver (of course). Another use, is perhaps some people don't have front USB ports on their tower and if you use this mouse to go with you via laptop, you don't have to move your tower to retrieve the transmitter/receiver. Just my two cents. Overall, I'm delighted with this mouse.

For those that have the mx laser with the cradle and internal battery, that internal battery can be bought for about $15 and it's easy to install, you just need a small Philips head, the screws are under the smooth feet, simply lift off the feet to reveal the holes, the remaining two holes are under the sticker, you can puncture the sticker with the screw driver. Once you open the mouse, you remove the old battery--it has a wire and mini plug. Then put the new battery in and close it up, put your mouse on the charging cradle and charge it. I was going to buy the battery (just google battery for the mx laser mouse). I was able to get the new performance mouse new on ebay for under $20. I got lucky.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›