Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

3.0 out of 5 stars 52 Omnibus Review, December 5, 2012
This review is from: 52 Omnibus (Hardcover)
UPDATE 11/13/2015
------------------------------

I still think the book cost more for the quality they are offering, but given that the story is so good, and that is great to have it all in one plece, I raise my score from 1 to 3 stars. Yep!

***************************************************************

First of all I want to say that I'm very much agree with Bruno Marisi's review. Because of that, my review won't be as extensive or as detail as his. I will give just my point of view.

52 is one of the best story-arcs DC Comics made in the last years. In many ways is even better than Infinite Crisis. You get a very good story-telling of B listers that is compelling and interesting. I got the trades when they came out, and I love the editions. Good material, excellent price, packed with extras.

Fast forward 2012... What a lay down!

Part of my was hoping for this edition to be like the infinite Crisis Omnibus, that even when it was listed as a 1152 pages book, it came out with over 1400 pages. That alone made me want to get it, because $150 for more than 1400 pages only sounds fair.

No luck here. This Omnibus not only comes up with only the 52 issues of the series, but it chopped off several of the extra material that are on the trades. So basically you get (more or less) 200 pages less that IC Omnibus, but paying the same price.

Is it because the book is made with better material then the Infinite Crisis one? NOPE! Same of the same. Same cheap black hardback, same hybrid binding (that does allow to spread the book).

Like I said, I very much agree with Bruno Marisi's review, but I won't be so candid with the rate. My grade is completely for the edition itself and not the story. The story get a full 10 star rate, but the edition gets only 1 and a half star, because by now DC Comics should know that we want more for our buck, and certainly this compilation is not more.

I strongly recommend you to get the trades. You get more content for FAR less price. You've been warned.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 11, 2012 1:39:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2012 1:41:42 PM PST
Martin M. says:
Most ridiculous review you have done so far. You keep on complaining about DC's books and you keep on buying them knowing fully well about the page count, the price, the binding etc. before you buy the book. Complaining about those things makes this review almost completely invalid. The only new information you bring is that some of the extra's that were in the paperbacks are not in this hardcover edition. Should those have been included? I guess so, but other than that this review was very unhelpful imo.

Same with Absolute SCW. You complain about missing content, whereas nothing is missing because the book's description and the solicitation information was clear about what was going to be in the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 2:58:23 PM PST
Who said I bought any of the books you mention?

I had them in my hands and read them?: Yes
Did I paid for them?: Hell no!

Is strange that someone (anybody) brings up that "the book's description and the solicitation information was clear" because, well, is not.

Is being proved over and over that many times even final solicitations doesn't come with the correct information. You can even check some already published stuff on the DC Comics main site, and the information is still incorrect (i.e. Infinite Crisis Omnibus, The DC Universe by Alan Moore HC, etc). That also happens here on Amazon.

So... get your act straight.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 1:46:37 PM PST
Jake says:
I am sooooooooo sick of reading your mindless one star reviews. It makes me sad that we follow alot of the same storylines, because everytime I want to check out the page for a new omnibus or absolute edition there you are again. I simply can not understand how you review things and don't take the storyline into account when you leave your rating. You claim to love the story but yet one star...I wonder if you understand how the rating system is supposed to work.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 2:02:43 PM PST

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 10:27:14 PM PST
So, wait, this 100$ omnibus doesn't have have the extra commentary pages the four 15$~ dollar trades have? Sounds like it's a bad omnibus then, and that I should just go for the trades. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 10:47:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 10:48:00 PM PST
If I could make at least one person double check what he's buying, then it worth all the rant the other dudes gave me!

There are content from the paperbacks here, but lots of the special features were chopped off.

If you can get the trades, by all means, that's the best, more complete, and economical way to go!

Posted on Mar 7, 2014 9:59:07 AM PST
"My grade is completely for the edition itself and not the story."

Thanks for the heads up. My favorite comic book reviewers are you, Bruno Marisi, and N. Durham "Big Evil."

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 10:54:40 AM PST
Well, thank you sir!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 4:05:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 7, 2014 4:06:16 PM PST
You're welcome. Thank you for your candid reviews. Even if I don't necessarily agree with all of your reviews, I appreciate the fact that you articulate specifically what it is you do/don't like about the product. You and the aforementioned reviewers are always appreciated by skeptical and budget minded consumers like me. Also, I've read in your past reviews that English is your second language. Based on that alone, your reviews are amazing and the fact that you make the effort to write your reviews in a second language is all the more appreciated. Keep up the good work. I always look for your reviews whenever a new omnibus comes out!

Posted on Apr 9, 2014 1:15:44 PM PDT
I don't actually see anything wrong with this review. He hits important points regarding the particular edition present, and while one might say that his star rating is low, that's purely a matter of taste. In any case, I was personally glad to read this, as I own the trades myself (and have beaten them up quite a bit) and was wondering if an upgrade to the "omnibus" is in order.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›