5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and sturdy for you big guys, August 29, 2008
This review is from: Bowflex 3.1 Adjustable Bench (Sports)
My biggest question when buying a bench or any piece of exercise equipment is, "Will it be big enough for me?" At 6-3 255, this can be a problem. Seems exercise companies these days think only small people work out!

I bought this along with the 552 dumbbells and stand. I found that this bench, just like the stand was much easier to assemble than some reviews say. The only part I had trouble with was putting the seat on, which can be explained by my body size. I'm sure there is a better way to do it, but I just picked it up and sat it on a table and put the seat on that way, instead of laying in the floor, cursing the little guy that decided to make this seat require me being under it to install the seat.

Trust me, that is part of the fun!

All of the instructions were clear, and it really wasn't that much that needed to be assembled. The parts as packaged, the seat, the back rest pad, the front stabilizer, the rear stabilizer and the rest was assembled. Well except the leg hold downs, which only requires sliding a pin and bar through a hole and putting the pads on each side.

You bolt the main part to the rear stabilizer, then the front stabilizer, bolt the back pad and seat on and that is it.

For a few measurements, and why I am more than impressed with this bench.

The seat at its widest point is 15 inches wide, at the front (under your thighs in incline) and 12 inches wide at its most narrow point. The back rest is also 12 inches wide. The back rest is nearly 3 inches thick and the seat is a little over 3 inches thick.

The material used in the frame is very sturdy. It says 300 pound user with 300 pounds of weights, can be supported and I believe it. The construction and design itself is excellent.

What I did was pull the stand in front of the leg end of the bench. It is narrow enough to fit that way, with the stand and dumbbells right in front of you when you sit down.

The incline is also very easy to use. You just slide the bar (that you can see in the picture) it has wheels on the bar and each setting has a gate/wall that the wheels stop at. That is it. No more pulling pins out, turning hex wrenches, or anything like that.

Mainly what I am saying is that I am an old school lifter that is used to narrow benches that require work to adjust during the workouts, this bench takes all of that extra work out of it and it looks nice as well.

Looks aren't a big deal, but trying to convince my wife that I really need this bench in the garage, near her artwork, made the looks matter!

I also have reviews of the stand and dumbbells up, so check those out too. I'm very pleased with all 3 and recommend each of them as highly as possible.

[Add comment]