4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as other flogging molly albums, but has some gems, December 14, 2006
This review is from: Swagger (Audio CD)
This was the last of the Flogging Molly albums that I listened to, although it is their first. You can kind of tell, as Dave King's vocals aren't always as good as the other two albums. However, thats no damper on what is still a great album by one of the most unique bands ever.

Track by track:

1. Salty Dog - 9/10 - A good catchy opening song with some great lyrics, has a nice pirate feel to it, I love the fiddle in this song.

2. Selfish Man - 8.5/10 - Again, I like the fiddle, espeically the opening. Its not as good as the first song, but nothing that bad about it, this is a well made song, good lyrics, instrumentation.

3. The Worst Day Since Yesterday - 2/10 - To be honest, this one put me straight to sleep, it gets so boring and repetitive, and its a really bad ballad, if you want a good ballad, listen to Wistles the Wind on the other album, or, go a little farther down here, and listen to These Exiled Years. This was a good effort I suppose, but really, pretty boring.

4. Every Dog Has its Day - 8.5/10 - A lot like Selfish Man, in the sense that the fiddle is cool, and the lyrics are well written. Again, its about pirates, but its not really as "piratey" as Salty Dog, I guess cause he doesn't go with the accent on this one. STill, a good song.

5. Life in a Tenement Square - 9/10 - I really like this song, its a bid sad, but the flute is very good here, it gives it a different vibe than the previous songs.

6. The Ol Beggars Bush - 10/10 - One of my favorites on this CD, the tune is incredibly catchy, the flute is AWESOME, the lyrics are very good too. I can never get the opening out of my head, very nice flute entrance.

7. The Likes of You Again - 8.5/10 - Good violin fast pacedness, the opening is slow and emotional, then transfers into the fast part, I don't think the fast part is as good as some of the other songs here (Slaty Dog, Selfish Man, Every Dog), but its not bad, the violin there is very catchy once again.

8. Black Friday Rule - 9.5/10 - The full tale of Flogging Molly, their signature solo/live song. I don't give this a 10 because I like the live version on Whiskey album better, but this is a very good song, tells about how King came to "Californ-e-i-a". Very good solos.

9. Grace of God do I - 7/10 - I admit, Dave King's voice is good, but I always find myself skipping this song. His vocals do shine, but this song has no instrumentation, just a vocal solo, and the reason I love Flogging Molly is because of the instruments, therefore, I don't like this song too much.

10. Devil's Dance Floor - 10/10 - My favorite on the CD, amazing song, truly, still, I think its my favorite Flogging Molly Song (ok, maybe a toss up between this one and Seven Deadly Sins), but really, this song is amazing. Great vocals, great lyrics, great flute, it just makes you want to get up and dance, even if like me, you suck at dancing. Wonderful song!

11. These Exiled Years - 8.5/10 - This is a ballad, and I think it works wonders comapred to Worst Day. This keeps you hooked, to the emotional lyrics as Dave tells about his mom and being exiled from his country, it may drag a bit, but the overall instrumentation is good, and the lyrics are wonderful.

12. Sentimental Johnny - 6/10 - Ok, so this is the weirdo of the bunch. You've got your trumpet solo, which made a little entrance last song near the end. However, this is almost way too circusy and stupid for Flogging Molly. I admit, the trumpet's got some skill, but the song itself is mediocre at best.

13. Far Awar Boys - 4/10 - This one I didn't like too much either, again, its a ballad, and it drags a bit too much for me. Kind of a boring let down to the album, but whatever.

Overall, it has its flaws, but also its gems. THe album itself is worth it simply for Devil's Dance Floor alone. However, you'll have a blast listening to the upbeat songs in the beginning, and especially Black Friday rule and Beggar's Bush. Just avoid most of the ballads, and you'll love this album.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]