Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 May The Best Garden Be Yours Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD

2.0 out of 5 stars Depressing, March 28, 2012
This review is from: Lover Reborn (Black Dagger Brotherhood) (Hardcover)
This review contains spoilers. Big spoilers. Please don't read if you don't want to know.

Like many, I loved the first three books. The fourth and fifth were still enjoyable to me and after that I read because I always fell for the next "hook." Ward is great at getting you interested in the male character and you are invested in their story. Too bad the female characters don't always gain the same level of reader interest.

My issue with this book isn't that it is primarily uf. It has a lot of urban fantasy with a chunk of romance thrown in. My problem isn't that Tohr let Wellsie go and moved on. It is how it happened and who it happened with. *Spoilers*

First, my love of Wellsie isn't so much from what little we got to see of her character but born out of the love that Tohr had for Wellsie. I believed his love for Wellsie hook, line, and sinker. Not so much of his love of No'One.

My biggest concern would be that his love for Wellsie would be glossed over. It wasn't. Tohr's grieving was well written and heartwrenching. He learns he has to move on to allow Wellsie and his son to escape the "in between" and to enter the fade. Yet No'One, whom Tohr ends up with, is also "in between" and there are two things that just suck. One, why would No'One be able to return and not Wellsie? WTH? Two, in Wellsie's plane she is fading to nothing in less than two years, but No'One has been in her plane for 200 years. Yeah, each "in between" is unique to the individual, but really? One fades and one hangs out at the mansion??

Then you read about Wellsie's fade ceremony and again, it is heartwrenching. But no worries! Tohr is going to run off and have hot sex right after this. Does this match the idea of the bonded male that we read about in books 1-5? Would it be ok for Wrath to do this? Zsadist?

I just don't buy into the romance between Tohr and No'One. I could accept Wellsie not coming back even though every other character in previous books is saved. I can't buy into the fact they both were in the between but No'One could return. I just can't take the concept of the "bonded" male and what he feels for his mate and match it to this story. How can he be that bonded to Wellsie and be bonded to somone new in 2 years? And, as a side note, there is not bonding scent. It ends up being confusing and depressing. Can he ever love No'One as much as Wellsie? If not, then it sucks for No'One. If so, what is the big deal about a bonded male anyway? It's just love, not super sized bonded love that Ward hooked us with in the first three books.

The rest of the book is more Ward post book 5. Multiple characters. Spread out story. Thin characterizations mixed with fantastic ones. And the hooks...oh, the hooks are there so you know you might give her one more chance. This time, I'm not so sure.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 28, 2012 4:09:57 PM PDT
Eileen Vega says:
I haven't read the book and I don't think I'll read it until is in paperback at $7.99. I feel exactly like you, how can you love someone for 300 years and be ready to move on just in three?????? A bonded male??????? You left me speechless with the fading ceremony and Thor having sex just after. The fading ceremony should have take him back in pain, misery and depression. I'm already mad : ( I will read the book just for Blay and Quihn. If you have spoilers on this two feel free to share : )

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 2:27:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 1, 2012 2:30:24 PM PDT
Good review. I completely missed the part about No'One being in limbo for 200 vs. Wellsie's 1 year. I did, however, wonder how someone who's technically dead could go into her period of needing. It made absolutely no sense.

Eileen - As for B & Q, nothing really happens between them. Bley admits his love of Qhuinn to Saxton - and then has sex with Saxton. There is a big teaser at the end of the book but I doubt a HEA is coming anytime soon.

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 5:08:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 1, 2012 5:14:17 PM PDT
I have to have to disagree with you to a certain extent. I am a huge Wellsie fan.. loved her and cried when she died and cried again at the fading ceremony but for Thor Wellsie will always be his mate and he never tried to replace her. he was simply letting go. They may be bonded but they have human emotions in certain aspects and he learned to love another. I think he went through enough torture and hell to last him a life time and deserved some happiness.

and also Thor & Noone werent together right after the ceremony it was "the following evening." he already let Welssie go, the body is the body it wants what it wants.

as for the comment about why Wellsie never came back thats very simple to me..she had no reason to come back she was at peace with her death as is evident when she seems Thor and No'one together. she had no "unfinished work" to come back to earth for. Noone did and when she was done she was taken away and if Lassiter didnt intervene on their behalf she would be done for.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 5:13:06 PM PDT
JR ward already announced the next book is about Blay and Q.

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 5:01:45 AM PDT
Lulu says:
The reason there is no bonding scent, no "mine" moment, is that the males can only bond once. Ward confirmed this at her book signing on Saturday. He can take another shellan, have a mating ceremony, but he is not complete like he was with Wellsie. So, in my mind it is a happy-for-now kind of ending and Tohr basically says that at the end, that No'One/Autumn would be his shellan for as long as they have together. I do agree that having one of the males move on to any extent in any fashion doesn't really seem consistent with what we were told about bonded males in the earlier books.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 8:59:11 AM PDT
J. Frederick says:
Oh thank goodness!!! I don't know if I can keep waiting! I have been waiting for Blay and Quinn to finally have their story told.
Unlike so many reviewers here, I am new to the series. Found the first 4 in a used book store and picked them up by chance last summer. Spent a few months filling out the rest of the series until I was out of work in November for arm surgery. Read the whole series thru twice (along with lots of other books) and fell in love with the Brothers. This whole waiting a year in between is going to make me a little NUTS!!
I had pre-ordered this book and waited anxiously for it and was not disappointed. I agree with a lot of the reviews here, and Lulu, I think you hit it on the head about the bonding with Autumn, but I still think this was a good edition. Not as many laughs, but I really didn't expect them with Tohr. Cried thru the second half of the book. Will still consider it a vital part of the series. Did wrap up a lot of story lines but opened the door (THANKS JR!) for more to come.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 11:26:11 AM PDT
Oh I didnt know they bond once. I will post this question on her facebook page once she allows spoilers on there.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 5:12:40 PM PDT
Lulu says:
She said this at her book signing event on 3/31/12. That's why there is no bonding scent, no "mine" moment.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 6:33:19 PM PDT
thats interesting and I like that. makes the meaning of bonding even more special. I guess she should just make that more known considering many of the negative reviews were pretty mad about this. some said she just got rid of the whole bonding thing. lol

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 8:34:58 PM PDT
Kristin says:
I couldn't agree more. I don't think there could have been a more disrespectful Fade ceremony. It became all about celebrating No'One's return (again) from the dead instead of a celebration of Wellsie's life. If Tohr thinks the best way to honor his dead shellan is to invite his lover to attend her Fade ceremony and proceed to make out with her right in middle of it then he is not the Brother I thought he was. Disgusting. Just disgusting.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›