2.0 out of 5 stars Keyboard = awesome 3 USB = super handy Speed = zippy, August 12, 2014
This review is from: ASUS Zenbook UX303 13-Inch Laptop [OLD VERSION] (Personal Computers)
I just got this machine, has a LOT of pluses.
Keyboard = awesome
3 USB = super handy
Speed = zippy, compared to a similar ivy bridge toshiba we bought last year. I'm happy with the speed. I Was worried the integrated graphics would be laggy for every day dual monitor setups but it's AOK.
HDMI high rez looks great on a second monitor.
My screen had piss poor whites (UNTIL I TURNED OFF THE ADAPTIVE BRIGHTNESS!!) I absolutely HATED the screen but now after turning off the adaptive brightness and tuning the fonts, it's AWESOME. I wanted to return this machine for this fact alone until I tweeked it.

BAD
Off button right where the delete key is on most other computers
128GB HDD? haha. I'm installing office and it says I only have 64GB remaining. I've basically only installed small programs like chrome, winzip, etc. IF I keep this machine, 256GB minimum. I'd have ordered the upgrade ASUS but that was almost another $500 and all I really wanted was a larger HDD.

UPDATED 1/28/15 after using the machine for several months now. The 'ENTER' key is going soft on me already and I'm hardly a power user. My love affair is over, I'd give it 2.5 stars now because of this issue. I'll round down to 2 stars.

UPDATED 3/10/15. The "b" button went bad. had to hit that button 3x each time it occurred to type this. I'm entertaining the fact of opening up the machine and looking at the membrane to see what the issue is. Wobbly monitor hinge too, right from the start when it was new.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 14, 2014 12:05:05 AM PDT
yeun says:
hey thanks for mentioning about the adaptive brightness i was also wanted to return the machine back until i googled how to turn it off much brighter now. awesome machine tho let me know if you can upgrade to a higher ssd. thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2014 11:50:15 AM PDT
eyescapes says:
i turned off adaptive brightness still feels like a very fuzzy screen.
in chrome its too fuzzy, internet explorer is not so fuzzy.
what other tweeks did u make, love the machine, the screen is bothering me a lot

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2014 11:56:25 AM PDT
W. Anger says:
I ran the windows 8.1 screen calibration routine before I turned off the adaptive brightness. I need to run it again since I turned off the adaptive brightness but I doubt that'll do anything. I'll post up my brightness/contrast/gamma settings later when I'm on that machine. I had to turn down the brightness and increase the contrast to get the display to my liking, after turning off adaptive brightness. I agree in chrome the fonts aren't 100% ideal but it doesn't bother me. I haven't used IE a lot yet. I only use that when chrome fails from excessive cache. I can see some won't be 100% satisfied with the fonts but for me, the brightness fix was 95% of my concern. The fonts are less important to me and to me, the fonts are 100% usable as is on the screen. The machine has too many other benefits for me to get upset about a little font scaling issues.
Actual function keys (a hobbies programmer)
3 usb ports
1080 resolution
actual HDMI port vs micro
AC wireless
etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2014 12:40:28 PM PDT
eyescapes says:
i agree, but after i ran the initial calibration text looked better on internet explorer and worse on chrome! hopefully there is a fix soon, or asus makes a software to do it

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2014 12:40:54 PM PDT
Rob Tansky says:
The fuzziness is a Windows issue, not one with the laptop.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2014 12:42:09 PM PDT
eyescapes says:
this is the 4th machine i have running windows 8 on, first time i faced this, all others were perfect out of the box, all are 1080 resolution screens too!

Posted on Aug 15, 2014 2:34:44 PM PDT
128gb SSD is what you'd expect from a $900 ultrabook. SSDs are more expensive than HDDs.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2014 2:48:26 PM PDT
W. Anger says:
SSD pricing is dropping like a rock. 256 SSD good quality $88 shipped everyday now on most deal websites. If I as a consumer can buy a 256G for $88 shipped, what can a big OEM purchase them for in bulk? Plus I'm talking the delta price from 128G to 256G. It's a 40~60 upgrade~. Don't tell me this price point can't support that spec. This is normal retail price on these Zenbook's. I paid $894 shipped and that ain't cheap for what you get in my opinion. OEM's value on SSD's is what's out of line IMO. Just try to configure a laptop on Dell or Lenovo and upgrade the HDD. BAM another $150 to upgrade from 128G to 256G. Out of line. My main complaint is they don't offer the larger HDD as a different model without all the extra goodies and the $400 price increase.

Posted on Aug 19, 2014 11:45:38 AM PDT
H. KIM says:
Hi, how about noise and heat?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2014 12:19:23 PM PDT
W. Anger says:
The lack of noise is excellent. My similarly specked Toshiba with the Ivy Bridge i5 would annoy me. The on the Toshiba starts and stops frequently and is very noticeable and a little annoying in a quiet room. I'm hard of hearing, but I don't notice the fan noise on the zenbook. Also, the zenbook runs very cool in my opinion and has never heated up to the point I thought I needed a pad while it's sitting on my lap. I was using my work computer yesterday, a 15" HP elitebook with a Gen3 i7, I thought my legs were going to burn up !
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›