5.0 out of 5 stars Smallville as a Whole - 5 Stars, April 6, 2011
This review is from: Smallville: The Complete Tenth Season [HD] (Amazon Instant Video)
I'm not someone that knows the Superman mythos. I'm not familiar with all the DC Comics characters. I did watch a couple of the Christopher Reeve Superman movies as a child and so I know the basics of Clark Kent, Lois Lane and Lex Luthor, but other than that...I know nothing. And I'm glad because I think this is what makes it easier for me to enjoy ALL of Smallville. I had no expectations and thus I was not disappointed in the overall story of Smallville. The story that I was always interested in was, of course, Clark Kent. Let's face it...this story is about him and how he deals with life and with his destiny. That's it...and to see him struggle with it all was refreshing to see, at least to me. He wasn't this perfect being that knew where his place in "history" was...he had to figure it out which is where all the drama of Smallville began...Clark "dealing" with life...which included over protective parents, a first love (Lana Lang) who could never quite trust him, a friend (Lex Luthor) that became a life long enemy, a sidekick (Chloe) that was the best friend he could have ever had but who also lost a little bit of faith in him, a fellow superhero (Oliver Queen aka Green Arrow) that tested his morality and always fell short, and last but not least...my favorite...Lois Lane...the unlikeliest person for him to fall in love with but who believed in him...or in Smallville storyland...the Blur...more than anyone else did...even Chloe. That's why in this Smallville version, Clark tells Lois...you were always the one that I needed. Her complete trust in what he represented is what he needed in this story to meet his destiny. This may not be IAW the Superman mythos, but it's darn good storytelling and I have loved every minute of it. I will be sad to see the series end because I could watch Lois and Clark played by Erica Durance and Tom Welling, banter back and forth and save the world for many, many more years to come. There are few series in TV land today that match the storytelling of this series. Thank you Smallville for some many great stories that I will continue to watch over and over again.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 30, 2011 12:57:25 PM PDT
I also agree with viewer "sarajade" that this is an extremely good series based on the life of a most unusual person, coming from another planet and destined to do good in this world. I fully enjoyed all the seasons and have bought all- with the exception of #8 when the entire show fell apart with so much internal commotion. But the show regained its drive by #9 and Season 10 was the capping of a truly superb series.

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 2:27:54 PM PDT
SAMIAM says:

Posted on Sep 4, 2011 7:28:42 AM PDT
arcdude says:
My Superman experience has been just the opposite. I grew up reading Superman comic books and also watched the TV series with George Reeves as a child. But I still very much enjoyed the Smallville TV series because I realized it was not a direct retelling of the same story. I guess that is what kept it refreshing. It was based on the comic characters, but they created something new with it. I am so sorry to see it end, but at least they had the opportunity to end the series well. I cannot wait until the DVD comes out. With the way the series was presented on TV, with one show per week with many long dry spells around holidays, it was hard to keep up with the plot lines. Having the whole series available where I can watch several episodes per week brings it all together in a way that cannot be done by watching the shows as they were broadcast.

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 10:12:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2011 9:14:57 PM PST
Mr. Z. says:
Having read just a small part of tfe 'Sarajade' comments, I felt compelled to add my own 'two cents' worth, as follows.
I'm sorry that your knowledge of the history of the Superman 'mythos', whatever that is, is so very limited. Allow me to supply some additional info on this subject.
The character of Superman was originally introduced way back in 1938 by two young boys, named Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. After considerable efforts to get their hero published by a mainstream comics publisher, they finally were picked up by a fledgling company, which would later go on to become DC comics. The character was first seen in Action Comics # 1 in, I believe, June of 1938, and was nowhere near as powerful or capable as he was later to become. He didn't fly, but could leap hundreds of feet at a time over buldings. You know, 'leap tall buldings at a single bound'.
In 1953, National Periodical Publications, aka DC Comics, decided to take their creation to the next and newest mass-media level.... television. A young actor was cast to play the dual role of Clark Kent and Superman. George Reeves very quickly became a household, mega-star - recognized everywhere - faster than a speeding bullet, as it were.
As time went on, season after season, the program originally shot in b & w, was filmed in glorious color and the gray suit gave way to the famous red, yellow and blue costume that fans, everywhere, had come to see and recognize instantly.
The show would end, tragically, with the shocking and mysterious presumed-suicide of it's star. I was all of 8 years young, when I heard and read about 'Superman's' demise. If you want to see Mr. Reeves, whose real, last name was Bessolo, in something other than The Adventures of Superman, watch the classic movie, From Here To Eternity, starring Burt Lancaster, Frank Sinatra, Montgomery Clift, Ernest Borgnine and Donna Reed. Another non-Superman film to see is What So Proudly They Hail, opposite Claudette Colbert. Mr. Reeves' skills as an actor were never truly utilized as fully as they might have been. He's been 'gone' over 50 years, and a fews years ago, a movie starring Ben Affleck, named Hollywoodland, 'relates' Mr. Reeves story.
I bought it quite some time ago, and look forward to watching it. You might want to do likewise.
Numerous books on the 'history' of Superman and the '50's' television show that might interest you. I have one in my book collection. Lots of photos of him and the rest of the cast and crew.
I hope this short piece has proven informative. MZ

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 11:53:52 AM PST
Edward III says:
Great review, and I didn't want to see the show end either. I think they could easily continue with an adult Clark and Lois.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2013 12:30:25 AM PDT
sarajade says:
Hmm...there are "rules" about how to post??? I didn't buy the dvd's...just downloaded the videos. Works for me. I thought you could just say what ever the hell you wanted to say. Oh well.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›