The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Proprietary Software Requirements, Incomplete compatability, January 18, 2011
This review is from: WD My Book 2TB External Hard Drive Storage USB 3.0 File Backup and Storage (Personal Computers)
I purchased this hard drive expecting it to behave like a typical external hard drive. I wanted to plug it in and see a single drive letter in My Computer.

However, this drive has more "advanced" features that require WD software. The drive presents itself as a CD-ROM drive as well as a hard drive. This virtual CD drive is supposed to contain the drivers to use the advanced features. The hard drive is inaccessible without the WD software. However, Windows 7 x64 is unable to locate the drivers for the virtual CD drive. Therefore the advanced drivers cannot be installed. The drive is unusable on Windows 7 x64. WD does not provide any downloads on the website allowing you to manually install the proprietary software. I contacted support, they told me to wait for an update. They recommended an RMA, even though we both agreed that this was a software, not hardware issue. Even so, if this had worked properly it adds extra bloatware to your computer that is not necessary. I replaced this with an equivalent Seagate. The Seagate behaved exactly as expected, plugin -> drive letter, done.

In summary, this drive requires proprietary software to function. This software does not work on Windows 7 x64 at this date. Get a drive without these requirements and save yourself a headache.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Mar 10, 2011 10:31:58 AM PST
We appreciate your feedback and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with this product, as this is not the typical experience with the device. These drives can be used as a standard external hard drive without the use of the WD SmartWare software and are Windows 7 64-bit compatible. Based upon the description of the issue you are encountering, your system may be having issues loading the SES device driver. This driver is available as a Windows Optional hardware update directly from Windows or our support site. We do strongly recommend checking to ensure that you are using the latest firmware and software for this drive. This can be found here (http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/Step1.asp?id=wdfMB_Essential&os=win).
If you are not interested in a drive that comes with backup software, you may want to consider our WD Elements drives, as they do not come with any preloaded software whatsoever. Is there anything we can do for you at this time? If so, you may contact us at 1 (800) 275-4932, or via our support website at: http://support.wdc.com/rs/. Please indicate within the online case creation or with the first support agent you speak with that you are responding to an Amazon review so we route you and your information to the correct team members.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 52 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 7, 2011 8:25:56 PM PST
Carl Sagan says:
WD has addressed this (check their support site). But I truly pity you if you replaced this with a Seagate as their quality control is terrible (just check reviews at new egg). Your data is no longer safe.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2011 8:30:15 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 7, 2011 8:31:05 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2011 8:32:29 PM PST
Dan says:
I am glad to hear that they have addressed this. I cannot comment on the new solution. The fact that the drive requires extra software is still unsatisfactory to me; although if in the future I am able to reevaluate it, I will update my review.

However, Carl Sagan, I do truly respect you. Your grasp of complicated subjects and ability to explain them is world class. Since you have chosen to come back from the dead to notify me of this is astonishing. I will reconsider my storage solutions.

RIP Buddy,
Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2011 11:28:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2011 11:29:49 AM PST
Paul G says:
Lol good one dan, agree about the drive too

Posted on Mar 8, 2011 1:27:53 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 10, 2011 11:58:24 AM PST]

Posted on Mar 9, 2011 9:24:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2011 1:18:44 PM PDT
B. Kiser says:
The proprietary software is a big deal to me personally. I have no interest in a drive that requires me to run an install program beforehand. I am sure in a year I will have NO idea where my install disk is. :)

Thanks for posting this review.

**** EDIT: I now have been using two of these for months, and you do NOT need to worry about proprietary software. I didn't install any of the crap that comes with the drives, yet they work just fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2011 10:02:37 AM PST
K. Kempf says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2011 10:22:06 AM PST
B. Kiser says:
I don't really see the contradiction. The install program installs proprietary software...

Install programs are a pain when you are working at a PC that doesn't have an Internet connection, and there are still plenty around in business.

With that said, I don't know if there's a 3TB drive out there that doesn't require proprietary software. It's a good topic to research.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2011 5:46:55 PM PST
M. Lange says:
Kiser, you dont actually need the software to utilize the hard drive. Plug it in, go to My Computer, and start copying stuff to it. If you want it to do the backups and everything else, you are going to need to use some sort of proprietary software, whether it be WD's or some other party.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2011 6:06:22 PM PST
B. Kiser says:
Dan's review says the hard drive is inaccessible without the software? If that's the case, it's not as simple as plugging it in.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›