Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

2.0 out of 5 stars Harder to open than a jar of pickles!, April 18, 2007
This review is from: Maxell DVD-R Disc 4.7GB 16X 25 Pack Spindle (Electronics)
While I can't comment on the quality of the disc itself (co-workers use these, not me), I can comment on how ridiculous the packaging design is!

I was approached by my co-workers for aid in opening the spindle, because, for whatever reason, Maxell decided to invent its own baffling spindle locking mechanism. Everyone is familiar with the standard CD/DVD spindle mechanism: Three or four tabs on the base, rotate the top 15-degrees, pull up and wah-lah! Discs galore!

Maxell, however, created this spindle with four seemingly harmless tabs on the inside of the spindle top. These tabs are held within a solid track that runs the inner spindle base, with four voids in the track that would seemingly correspond with the tabs. Here is where the trouble comes in: You rotate the top about 40-degrees along this track, and you hit a solid stopper. Rotate 40-degrees in the opposite direction and "No soup for you!" You've hit another solid stopper.

"Push on the top and pull at the same time!" - "Push on the sides like on a Listerine cap!" - "Put a screwdriver under the tab!" - "Break the stupid thing, I need to burn a copy of Charlie's Angels already!"

The overzealous orders came barking in from all corners of the office. I simply sat and stared wonderfully at this disaster of modern product usability: "Who gets the $60,000 salary at Maxell for thinking this thing up?"

Eventually, with pure sweat, muscle and tears of insane laughter, I was able to force the top to rotate beyond the Goliath Spindle Stoppers on the base. Yet the ability to finally open the spindle gave me no further insight as to the real intention of how this mechanism should work, so now we just leave the spindles unlocked at all times.

While I normally applaud innovation and new ideas... SERIOUSLY, Maxell, this is a case of DVD-R discs, not a bottle of Vioxx. I shouldn't have to go out to the garage and grab my oil filter clamp to open it up. Then again, perhaps this is the handiwork of the MPAA... what better a method of DRM!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 17, 2007 1:24:33 PM PDT
A. Simpson says:
At least I know I'm not insane. I have a 100 pack of Maxell CD's that I can't open. I finally pried a spot between two dams open with a screw driver and then stuck a pair of scissors in to keep it open. Then I did the same with the screw driver in the next open spot. I finally popped it open. The case is cracked and I'm not about to twist it back on.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2007 11:33:58 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 5, 2007 11:34:21 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2007 11:35:10 AM PST
AnnBB says:
Thank gawd! I found this exchange because I googled "open Maxell spindle pack" out of desperation! I'm off to find a screwdriver. Thanks for the tip!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2007 3:36:48 PM PST
If the screwdriver fails, I would also suggest trying a blow-torch or running it over with a freight train.

Posted on Jan 17, 2008 1:00:38 PM PST
I bet'ya this is part of the RIAA campaign against illegal copying of music and videos.... they probably paid someone at maxwell off.

Posted on Mar 11, 2008 10:27:31 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 11, 2008 10:27:49 PM PDT]

Posted on May 13, 2008 3:05:37 PM PDT
Carol says:
Kurt,

You wrote this review a long time ago I only hope you get notified of this comment. I also have NO clue how to open the Maxell spindle pack. Feeling your same desperation I Googled for opening instructions and came across your comments. At frist, I was amazed to get an exact match then after reading your comments I had a good laugh. THANK YOU for so eloquently describing this packaging and it's inventor. I tried every opening procedure you mentioned and I even checked the Maxell web site with no luck. I'm going to email tech suupport just for kicks and giggles. Ok, enough procrastination back to trying to open this impossible package! I'm off for my screwdriver and maybe an exacto knife...no not to slit my wrists out of frustration!

Posted on Sep 3, 2008 9:51:04 AM PDT
V. Coffin says:
Yes, i had the same difficulty, I called the I 800 number on the box 1-800--377-5887.

One is suppose to push in and turn hard against the stopper, either side it doesn't matter. After lots of grunting and struggle it did push over and off. Not easily.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2008 2:27:04 PM PDT
I wasn't notified by your comment, unfortunately, but I just came back to find I started quite the discussion with my review! I hope you were able to open your Spindle Pack of Doom, perhaps by finding a herd of Shetland Ponies to trample the case to smithereens in hopes of retrieving 5 or 6 usable discs out of the bunch. Either way, I hope there was minimal blood loss on your account. Its sad to find that over a year after I made my review, Maxell still insists on packaging their product as if it needs to withstand re-entry through the earth's atmosphere.

Posted on Dec 16, 2008 3:51:22 PM PST
Since I became so frustrated trying to open the Maxell DVD-R package I decided to google it. The search led me to Amazon. After reading your evaluation of trying to open the package, I decided to return the item. It is not worth it and I do not want to end up damaging the product which I was about to do.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›