Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian Fire TV Stick Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for mobile workstations, August 9, 2013
This review is from: AOC e1659Fwu 16-Inch Class, USB 3.0-Powered, Portable LCD / LED Monitor (Personal Computers)
I've been keeping my eye on USB displays for a while now, and when I saw this one was going to be released soon I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I work the majority of my day staring at four displays split between two systems, a Win-based one for work, and a Mac based one for photography/research/etc. Occasionally I have to be mobile, and once you're used to being able to organize your open windows on multiple displays, working in one display can be a bit constraining.

This display works great for both systems (Mac drivers not included, but available from DisplayLink site). On a Windows system it automatically detects rotation, on the Mac, it had to be set manually, but for me this is a non issue as I don't rotate my display often. The glossy display is a minor drawback, you might need to adjust the angle until you get rid of unseemly reflections, but the viewing angle is fairly forgiving.

Reviews on the former device noted lack of a protective sleeve for transport and storage. This version came with a fabric/neoprene sleeve that fits perfectly, even with the cable tucked into the arm-stand cavity. Which bring up another complaint about the former model, the arm-stand is no longer a solid wedge, it is now a loop which does not interfere with the cable or block the USB3.0 port when closed. The resolution hasn't changed from the former release, but even with the awkward ratio, I find it more than sufficient for a web browser, text editor, or an array of IM windows. and with Auto rotation on Windows, it will probably serve fine for PDF/Doc viewing as well.

The device comes with a USB cable that has a power pigtail on it, however, I did not need the pigtail for either my USB hub (which is powered by my Mac Book Pro) or plugging directly into my Win laptop. While my USB Hub is USB3.0 capable, neither the Windows nor the Mac Book are USB3.0 devices, so for those wondering if it was a showstopper, fear not, USB2.0 is sufficient to run this display.

I'm incredibly happy with this and am relieved to know that on those occasions where I have to work from a hotel room, or other office environment I won't have to go scrounging around for a second display or cramming all my windows into one display.

This product would have gotten 5 stars if it had better out-of-the-box support for Mac users. Finding drivers was not intuitive, I went to AOC's site and noted the e1659Fwu did not have Mac drivers listed. I decided to try the e1649Fwu drivers only to realize their Mac Drivers were hosted directly by DisplayLink, which means the drivers are not specific to device itself, which is good news for Mac users. I also would have liked it if auto-rotate were supported in the Mac, but that's something I can ask DisplayLink about.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 9, 2013 3:55:32 PM PDT
Bee says:
Is the screen anti-glare (matte) finish or a glossy screen?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2013 1:12:13 PM PDT
It's glossy. (see my comment in para 2).

Posted on Aug 24, 2013 12:19:41 AM PDT
Ryan L. says:
Hey, I have a question about this display.

I ordered it, so it's already on it's way..

but one user had mentioned that both USB plugs are required (one for display, one for power) is this true?

I have a mid 2009 macbook, and it only has two USB ports. This could be problematic as I use a Logitech mini-link plug in for all my wireless peripherals.

Just want to confirm whether or not you need to use both supplied USB plugs, and what each of them is specific for.

Thanks!

Posted on Feb 20, 2014 7:53:59 AM PST
Shadow says:
I just purchased the AOC e1659fu to replace the e1649fu (broken USB connector). The new version does not work on my MacBook Pro (I'm running OS X 10.8.5. I verified that I have the correct DisplayLink driver. Called AOC tech support and they advised me to buy a powered USB charger, saying it sounded like a power issue. My MBP is only a year old. It sounds like you had success, so do you have any advice?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2014 4:50:28 PM PDT
MS says:
You can buy matte screen protectors (of various sizes) which eliminate the glare. I had to do that on my old laptop and it worked well.

Posted on Jan 2, 2015 7:29:44 AM PST
Thanks for a complete review. I looked at the older version of this and ended up with the Toshiba version that I use on Windows. This has many improvements over the previous versions of the AOC, but I would probably still lean towards Toshiba's solution. Most of these monitors don't require much power, and can run off one USB connection (I have plugged mine into about 20 different laptops over the last few years-great for working with clients without having to sit on top of them in a cafe).

The case/stand of the Toshiba is one of the key reasons I would stick with toshiba-protects, and is quick to set up in meetings, and quick to exit.

Driver issues seem to be a challenge for all displaylink devices, and I agree it is two steps harder then it should be. But usually once you get going, they are usually a set it and forget issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2015 8:10:41 AM PST
Ryan L. says:
I migrated from my Macbook to working strictly with Debian-based linux distro's a few weeks back. DL, in all their awesome integrity, have been claiming linux drivers were on their way for several years. Now my E1659 just sits in the corner collecting dust. :)

Folks at canonical are trying to get something together for a Ubuntu kernel.. just thought I'd make a note of this to save some poor saps some time. I have researched and tinkered for hours and ended up nerfing one of my Ubuntu 14.04 laptops by screwing with the kernel. Best advice for (specifically) Ubuntu users is to hold off on a purchase of any DisplayLink devices until something is solidly available for us open-source junkies.

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 1:12:35 AM PDT
J. Salzman says:
Just a note, you may be able to run this monitor on a USB 2.0 port but the power requirements may be very close to the limit of what the screen can run off of and what the port can provide.

Imagine running your car at the red line, all the time, what do you think is going to happen? Components are going to wear out quickly.

You are spending $120 on a monitor, and presumably another $600-$2,000+ on a laptop or MacBook, just plug it in correctly, single cord for 3.0, use both for 2.0, better safe than sorry
‹ Previous 1 Next ›