Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

3.0 out of 5 stars [FIXED ] Does not work with my Kindle Fire HD 7"/Okay with phone!, September 26, 2012
This review is from: AmazonBasics Bluetooth Keyboard for Android Devices - Black (Accessory)
** 10/26/2012 **

I've added a star even though the keyboard itself didn't change. It seems Kindle Fire HD update 7.2.1 has fixed the repeating key problem with this keyboard and that was my major complaint.

** Original review below **

As an avid bicyclist I fell in love with my first Kindle Fire as it was small enough to take along on bike trips and on my daily commutes. When I upgraded to the KF HD I had the idea that I might even go a step further and use it to take notes at meetings and such, hence the keyboard.

Unfortunately this is not the keyboard for me, at least not with the KF HD. There are some positives to be sure:

1) It is very light
2) Key action is good
3) It seems sturdy enough

However it has a couple of negatives, at least with my KF HD, that render it completely useless.

1) Keys repeat pretty much every time I try to use it - sometimes dozens and dozens of repeating letter occur. I've tried typing slowing and surely and it really doesn't improve the situation any.

2) The connection is terrible. It drops and returns, then drops again, sometimes I have to turn the keyboard on and off to get to return. It's awful. I don't think it's really a problem with the KF HD as I have no trouble using Bluetooth with my stereo headset while listening to books, music, or vids.

Further note (20 minutes later)

Just for laughs I tried pairing this keyboard with my Motorola Razr Maxx. It seems to work just fine which leads me to believe that's the pairing between the keyboard the Kindle that is at fault, not the keyboard itself. Given this, I'll probably keep the keyboard and hope for a fix in an update.

And a bit later one (another hour)...

I'm leaving the star rating at 2 for the moment, but...

I went on the Kindle Help Forum ([...]) and wrote a note about the problem. Almost immediately one of the Forum Pros wrote back saying:

"There are a number of us who have experienced this same problem, have reported it, and are hoping that it will be addressed in a future update.The only time we found the repeating characters did not occur was if the Fire HD was not connected to wifi.Hopefully it will be resolved soon."

I gave it a try and can verify that the repeating keys issue seems to go away when the KF HD 7" has the wifi turned off. While that's not ideal, it does make a huge difference for me as I'll be able to make notes at meetings and journal.

I'm definitely keeping the keyboard at this point. If Amazon releases an update that fixes the issue completely I'll upgrade the star rating a bit. Currently I won't because they are specifically saying it works with the KF HD and until it does work fully, it's not a complete keyboard solution.

Aloha!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 27, 2012 6:13:57 PM PDT
The Kindle Fires use a heavily modified version of Android. I expect that if you paired it with a Nexus 7, it'd perform great. I think I'll try this with my daughter's next tablet... :) Thanks for the review!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2012 12:09:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 29, 2012 12:10:36 AM PDT
The thing is it's an Amazon product, made for Amazon devices and other devices too. So I think since this is Amazon's first move into bluetooth, there will be issues but as with the original kindle fire, these issues will be fixed. Basically what I'm saying is, the heavily modified version of android has nothing to do with the issue. This is a bluetooth issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012 8:55:56 AM PDT
Kris B says:
I purchased with to use with my Nexus 7 and I am experiencing the repeating character issue

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 7:22:30 AM PST
Thanks for updating your review! I purchased this keyboard yesterday but was concerned about the repeating character issue. With that issue resolved, I can rest assured it will work with my Kindle Fire HD when it arrives. Thanks again! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 7:55:07 AM PST
I got repeating keys when attached to my Nexus 7, albeit rarely.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2013 2:06:29 AM PDT
FraterMus says:
As it turns out, it was a problem with Amazon's remix, and was fixed when Amazon pushed an update that took the OS to 7.2.1.

Posted on Oct 20, 2013 2:19:23 PM PDT
2ed Samuel says:
Great review Robert, and thanks for telling us what the forum pro said. They indeed know their stuff.

But, shut off my precious wifi? Screw THAT crap.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›