3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasing sequel, April 22, 2009
This review is from: The Girl Who Played with Fire (Hardcover)
This is the second book in the Millenium series created by Stieg Larsson. The plot revolves around the human and sex trafficing industry in Sweden and the murder of three individuals with connections to the Lisbeth Salander character.

I found this to be a pleasing (yet inferior) sequel to "Dragon". While one does not need to read Dragon, I would recommend it. For my money it (Dragon) is the superior read.

The Lisbeth Salander character is a very interesting protagonist. When Lisbeth is being written about in The Girl Who Played with Fire, the story seems to move - when she is not, the story drags.

The Mikael Blomqvist, Erica Berger etc. characters and how Steig Larsson created and developed the characters seemed deeper, fresher and have more substance in the first novel. I thought the first book had a better focus, pace, fewer hanging threads, was more intricately plotted and had a better overall story.

With that said, the sequel is a good, not exceptional, read. My recommendation is to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo first, then this novel to fully appreciate the world that Steig Larsson created.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 16, 2009 12:23:45 AM PDT
Thanks for your excellent and insightful comments. I agree completely with your assessmentand what you said about focus, pace, etc. "Dragon" was a masterpiece, but I had the feeling that when he wrote "Fire" the author had been influence by reviews of what a best-selling novel should have in it. I confess to feeling emotionally battered by everything I read happening to Lisbeth. I expect I'll read book 3, but I first have to recover from book 2.

Posted on Jan 16, 2010 1:09:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2010 1:10:14 PM PST
The only thing that I agree with in your review is that you should read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo first because it helps place the characters, when you read the second. Other than that, I think this is one of the few times that I thought the second book surpassed the first. The story is far more intense and we get a better look at the fascinating Lisbeth Salander. New characters are enhanced by the old characters making for a very good read.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2010 11:02:55 AM PDT
Sue S. says:
I believe all three novels were delivered to the publisher at once, and then the author died. I don't think he ever had the chance to read any reviews of any of his novels. I don't disagree with your opinion---just wanted to make that point.

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 7:00:38 AM PST
Mark,
I agree totally with your assessment.

Posted on Dec 19, 2010 5:13:26 AM PST
Murph says:
Mr. Cartier gives a very good short and concise review. I however disagree on one point; pace of this second book is a bit quicker than the pace of the first, "TGwtDT". In fact, there were many sections of Millennium Trilogy #1 that seemed to drag out too long. "TGwPwF" seems like a James Patterson novel in comparrison... ;)

Posted on Mar 2, 2011 5:04:21 PM PST
This book needed a far better editing job. Huge chunks of it could have been eliminated. The whole investigation piece was so drawn out with repetition upon repetition. It was almost comedic the number of times the connection was made by the main characters (and minor ones) between the lawyer, the cop and the criminal. Enough already! And what about those peripheral characters that added so little to the story. I was hooked with the opening Carribbean scene, assuming the book would be tied to that but , no, it was never referenced again. And the various investigators that were either chauvanist, homophobic or just plain angry men - what did they bring to the table?
With both books, I couldn't help but feel the author is/was a closet pedophile. The main character is a child-like waif and enjoys a robust sex life. Child abuse in both books. Sexual molestation of children in both books. Weird.
RIP to the author but these books could have hummed along at a much better pace which would have made for a much better read.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2012 2:39:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 15, 2012 10:22:42 AM PDT
A. Bernard says:
I agree with Judith Silva Nee. Halfway through I found I didn't have the patience and started skimming and flipping. I don't think the translation sat easy and a better job could have been done with the idioms. The police were shown as real klutzes. The overly detailed descriptions of journeys, actions and food consumption were tiring to read as was trying to keep up with the characters' names and place in the plot. I also thought that it was cheap plot writing to make her very wealthy [I don't remember that heist in 'Tattoo'], but, for a woman extremely comfortable with all things computer, she still shops in person at Ikea.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 10:22:12 AM PDT
Penny Santos says:
I also agree on ur order of reads. Intense reading. But ur review is right, first book better written, but cud b bcuz characters were fresh in writers mind.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (2,943 customer reviews)
 (1,959)