5.0 out of 5 stars Best all-around radio I've ever owned, August 3, 2012
This review is from: Grace Digital Wi-Fi Music Player with 3.5-Inch Color Display (GDI-IRC6000) (Black) (Electronics)
At 68 years of age, I have been a radio nut, owning innumerable radios since I was 10 years old (including many amateur and shortwave radios employed during more than 50 years as a "ham" operator). I have never enjoyed a radio quite as much as the Grace Mondo.

I have owned other internet radios, including a Sanyo R227 and have used iPod Touch and smartphones to listen to internet radio. I once used Sirius XM in the house for a couple of years (still use it in the car). I've had countless FM radios, shortwave radios, high-sensitivity AM radios, and even many scanner radios. But none could provide the width and depth of information and entertainment that this unit does -- and as easily as it does it.

Basically, the Mondo will pick up just about anything in the world, including every single AM and FM station anywhere near me (and it knows what those are from your IP address). It can tune in thousands upon thousands of podcasts. It can easily find and provide any kind of music you want, including many channels without advertising.

I am an OTR (old time radio) fan -- not the music, but the drama, comedy, western, sci-fi, mystery, and other shows from the 30s through the 50s. Scores of internet broadcasters provide non-stop OTR around the clock, and using Grace's relationship with Reciva, I can quickly find and save many old-time broadcasters to listen to on the Mondo. (I was introduced to Reciva with the Sanyo, and it has a user-friendly, efficient, uncluttered website that lets you search for and sample tens of thousands of stations with your home computer, and then program them into your Mondo.)

Aside from internet channels, there's Pandora, the free music (and comedy) system that works very well on the Mondo, enabling you to create customized channels in almost infinite variety.

"Little things" I like:

* The bright, colorful screen (not boring like monochrome, text-only screens -- which are so 20th Century and difficult to read)
* Earphone jack on side toward front; if you use radio bedside, as I do, and listen to radio at night with an earphone, you want it to be easy to connect and disconnect earphones; radios with plugs in the rear are just awful for this.
* The ability to use a battery (though the required optional battery, in my opinion, is overpriced). It's very cool to be able to easily move the radio and enjoy its sounds anywhere within range of your wi-fi. There is a built-in finger handle to make carrying easy.
* Size: Not too big, not too small. Just right.
* Controls: work smoothly, solidly and do not feel cheesy.
* Volume control: It's a knob atop the set, an odd location, but at least it is a knob instead of those annoying, hard-to-use buttons found on many sets, including the Sanyo.
* Pandora: This radio works very well with Pandora, and even has the ability to thumbs up/down selections (though sometimes I get a message that the thumbing service is not available -- don't know why).
* NOAA: Many of the VHF weather channels have been preprogrammed into this unit so you can listen to NOAA weather broadcasts all over the country (and Canadian versions, too). Unfortunately, a few are miscalibrated. When I try to listen to the Connecticut NOAA station that's listed, it returns a Minnesota station.
* Remote: Unit comes with a remote, which you might think is unneeded, but which I use a lot, especially for the fact that it has all 10 memory keys; the radio itself has only five plus a shift key to get you 6 to 10. Some people complain it's too big; I like the size. The little ones, like the Sanyo remote, are easy to lose.
* Input and output jacks, if you want to increase its sound quality or usefulness.
* Setup: It was really quick and easy.

Things that could be better:

* Sound: It's good, clear and crisp -- and, of course, digital -- but I wish it were a bit richer. The sound is adjustable, by the way, with a modest equalizer.
* Buttons, such as memories, should be backlighted. This is a great bedside radio -- but that means it may be used a lot in the dark. (I find myself using the remote in the dark because the keys are light-colored, and the screen gives off enough light so I can see the keys!)
* Screen fonts: could be bigger for my geezer eyes. On many channels, including Pandora, you are told what is playing, but if your eyes ain't great, you have to get up close.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 4, 2012 10:31:44 AM PDT
R. Kolin says:
Great review, Jack! I, too, am a huge fan of radio classics (favorite XM channel is 82). Have you done any comparisons between this radio and the Logitech Squeezebox? They seem quite similar, but the Grace interface appears a little more user friendly to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 4:44:04 PM PDT
Jack Sanders says:
I did not try a Logitech (and I have other products they've made that I like). I was turned away by the fact that they do NOT include a remote, which I have found very handy at night (all 10 memories are right there, with white keys that I can see, pretty well, in the dark). If you are an OTR fan, you will find this radio (or any internet radio) a boon. Scores of OTR broadcasters like Audio Noir, Pumpkin Radio, etc., with continuous programming.

Posted on Jul 16, 2013 10:35:06 AM PDT
Sarah says:
I'm 68 yo too - but female. Love my talk radio. Is it hard to get talk stations. I really like the truckers (Steve Sommers) channel on 700 out of Ohio. I think their call letters are wlw. XM has dropped their program, so I'm going Internet radio.

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 4:45:31 PM PDT
Sgt Fletcher says:
Thanks for the extended review.....from a fellow ham radio operator and same aged person!!! 73

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 5:45:48 AM PDT
E. Antonio says:
Very good review, I've been using this radio for a short time, and find the most of the same issues as Mr. Sanders, I also completely agree about the battery, for a $130 to ship with no battery? really?? some of these rechargeables, can be obtained for around 10 bucks, but of course this has a customized connector that makes you pay them about $30!, nice!

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 2:58:12 PM PDT
Jack, you say:
"Basically, the Mondo will pick up just about anything in the world, including every single AM and FM station anywhere near me (and it knows what those are from your IP address). It can tune in thousands upon thousands of podcasts."
That does it for me Jack, it's all I needed to know. For a guy whose house has a metal roof this radio is the answer. Thanks for a great review.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2014 9:35:34 AM PDT
L. Rich says:
I too like WLW. My AM radio fades too much. Got it on Iheart using my Grace.

Posted on Jul 23, 2014 7:35:01 PM PDT
Book Reader says:
Thank you for such a detailed and great review!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›