5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Home Theater PC., July 3, 2014
This review is from: ASUS VivoPC-VM40B-02 Desktop (Personal Computers)
Perfect home theater machine. Small. Silent. Cool running. Gorgeous to look at. Excellent speed. Not sure why other reviewers have complained about a lack of speed. I run JRiver MC 19, rip and stream music, play HD videos, and surf the web all with excellent speed.

Replaced hard disk with a 1TB 7.2k Western Digital. Memory is at factory 4GB and can't see a reason to increase that yet. Highly recommended.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 8, 2014 12:35:23 PM PDT
Coleman says:
Hello! I was looking over this product and if I were to buy it, it'd pretty much become a pure emulation box. You say you replaced the hard drive, what kind of hard drive does this machine take? Might get a smaller sized SSD to help load times :) Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2014 4:24:56 PM PDT
ocabrera says:
It's SATA. The bay will accommodate a 3.5" drive. That's the size drive it came with, and the size I used for my 1TB drive. It will also accept a 2.5" drive.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2014 7:55:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2014 8:38:30 PM PDT
Coleman says:
Much appreciated. Will I need to buy anything to "hoist" a 2.5 in place or does it fit well in there at that size?

edit: nevermind, according to their website with the specs it supports 2.5 natively so that shouldn't be a problem...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2014 6:46:23 PM PDT
ocabrera says:
Not sure about that. Mine came with a 3.5 and that's what I replaced it with. I've seen pics on the web of the machine with a 2.5.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2014 10:47:50 PM PDT
Coleman says:
Well, looks like I was confused. I looked at the online manual for this and it mentioned that it came with a 2.5 adapter so I figured I'd be alright. When I got my unit it was not there. You CAN order them from the ASUS site though (which I have done in the mean time). I do have my SSD attached and running (just installed Windows 7, upgrading to SP1) but I feel like I shouldn't leave it on too much until the adapter comes in for proper cooling.

I have tested emulators on this from NES to N64 and PS1. All of them are working wonderfully (with the proper driver installed - Windows will try to install a default driver, use the ASUS support site) and I'm pretty stoked. Will be setting up GameEx tonight.

Sorry for clogging up your comments section, I will probably just write a review once I'm up and running :)

Posted on Jul 16, 2014 9:56:02 AM PDT
teknoabit says:
I am thinking about upgrading to SSD. ocabrera, you mentioned you changed out your hard drive. I see no documentation of how to retain hard drive data when upgrading. Specifically the Windows 8 operating system. Would the hard drive need to be cloned? For that matter how would one reformat or restore the factory system settings if needed?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2014 10:59:37 AM PDT
Coleman says:
I think ocabrera and I have both changed the stock hard drive with this computer. I can't speak for him but I can tell you I just ended up installing a fresh copy of Windows 7 onto my SSD. I don't think anything about cloning is mentioned from ASUS or in the documentation because it's not exactly in their best interests to do so, as the one copy of Windows 8 on the computer is the one that has been activated specifically to that computer and Microsoft gets pretty stingy about moving licenses around.

What size of drive are you looking to use? It's generally easier to move from smaller size to big or of equal size, it becomes a bigger pain when you go bigger to smaller. There are a few guides to check out and make sure you read through a few, I thought doing a direct copy from Clonezilla would be fine one time to a different drive and then Windows told me I didn't have a valid OS verified...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2014 6:06:17 PM PDT
ocabrera says:
I had a 1TB hard drive that was clean. I installed Windows 7 Ultimate instead of the Windows 8.1 that came installed on the original hard disk.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2014 12:58:15 PM PDT
Hi there! I'm looking at this product and was wondering if you could help me. Other commentors have mentioned you could record tv with this thing (basically using it as a home theatre pc). What say you? Could I hook this thing up to my dvr or tv and use it as a personal video recorder (pvr)? Any programs you recommend for setting up recordings, etc? (I'm a college football nut and want to record and preserve football games).
Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2014 1:31:08 PM PDT
ocabrera says:
The machine has USB 3.0 and HDMI output. I'm sure you can use video capture software/hardware to get what you want. I have a 1TB drive in the machine now and use it primarily for storing and streaming high-def music files. It works perfectly for this.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›