Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

2.0 out of 5 stars Card ok if you can put up with Amazon.com customer service, January 14, 2009
This review is from: Amazon.com Gift Cards (Paper Gift Certificate)
If you've never had a problem shopping from Amazon.com, then you really are not experienced enough to be giving the "gift" of Amazon to someone else. Wait until you've experienced your first screw up, and then evaluate.

I received a gift certificate, but have had trouble using it, because Amazon.com's outsourced customer service does not handle issues well. They are apparently scripted to say that an appropriate person will contact you within 48 hours, but in my experience, follow up contact is not timely. When contact is made, it has been to tell me that the issue was not well documented by the prior agents and to start over explaining my concern once again. After that, I was told, once more, to wait 48 hours for follow-up that did not come. Rinse and repeat.

The problem is that Amazon.com has apparently fire-walled these folks in Bangalore (or some other asian town) from the rest of the company. Therefore, there can be no quick responses to customer concerns. For me, after five contacts, I spoke with a "team lead" who indicated that prior agents had not documented the subject matter of my prior calls (even though I was promised a pompt resolution by those agents).

Add to all this the fact that during the recent holiday season, Amazon.com raised the price of the item I wished to purchase more than once, at the same time that the item's manufacturer was offering it for considerably less. This makes having my "gift" money tied up in an Amazon.com account less than ideal.

Do not expect that the person to whom you intend to give a gift will not have to deal with the customer service department. Try to be forward-thinking enough to consider that a problem might occur. If it does, the recipient will likely have a very negative experience, regardless of the variety of products offered by Amazon.com.

When I asked an Amazon.com customer service agent why Amazon.com was charging 150% of what the manufacturer was selling the product for directly, I was told that the additional expense should be considered to cover the expert customer service available at Amazon.com. This is terribly amusing, considering that the only thing that the agents tend to do is instruct the customer to wait 48 hours for someone else to address the problem (which, in my experience, does not happen).

If you are set on letting someone choose their own gift, you should consider a pre-paid Visa or Mastercard. That way, the recipient could use the funds at Amazon.com if he or she so chooses, and is still free to purchase something locally from a person who could not avoid responding to a customer's concerns.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 25, 2009 9:04:52 AM PDT
BJJ says:
Great idea to just purchase visa/master card instead of Amazon card. Yes, this way she can still use it on Amazon. My daughter in law uses Amazon a lot as I do. Thanks for that idea.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 8:15:09 AM PST
Avid reader says:
I have sent many gift cards from Amazon over the years including 11 so far this year. I always thought this was a safe, quick way to shop for my Grandchildren. After reading the reveiws I am beginning to have doubts.

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 5:55:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 19, 2013 6:02:50 PM PST
It is so funny, people will complain about anything ... even receiving a gift card; a GIFT ... card. I've purchased several things from Amazon and the one time I had to contact customer service I spoke with Amy (sorry ... she wasn't Asian) about a camera lens for my Nikon D800 that was supposed to ship overnight - I paid for overnight - and it didn't ship until the next day. She even E-mailed me the next day on a Sat. morning saying that they were sorry for the mistake and refunded my shiipping cost, but to please contact her if I felt it hadn't resolved fairly; that was fair to me, because sometimes mistakes are made.

I'm sure you had an issue and I'm sure Amazon messed up; everybody does, but please don't act like they are the worst company ever. The lens that I bought from them was $250.00 cheaper than I could have purchased it from Nikon's website. I did notice that they had a tripod on their site selling it for $30.00 more than B & H Photo and when I asked the person in customer service why they were selling it for more, she said it was being sold from an outside vendor (Adorama in this case) and Amazon cannot tell them how much to sell a product for. I will say, even though Adorama was selling it for more than B & H, it was still $130 less than Manfroto (the manufacture ) sold it for on their website.

I think sometimes we may blame Amazon for things beyond their control, but I also think your idea of giving someone a master card or visa instead of an Amazon gift card is not a bad idea, I just think it's funny when you write your complaint because an Amazon gift card wasn't good enough for you ... I mean as a gift you received...LOL, that is funny...you wanted the Visa,huh?

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 11:14:12 AM PDT
My wife and I, living a long way from most stores, use Amazon a lot, we get UPS deliveries several times each week from them, often multiple packages. We have often bought Amazon gift cards in all varieties (emailed, posted, from local stores, etc.) Never had a problem, and never had a problem with any other aspect of Amazon service.

Can mistakes be made? Sure, but Amazon has always been very responsive and we have no grumbles about the manner in which mistakes have been rectified.

Posted on May 6, 2014 7:44:08 AM PDT
R. Balsover says:
Yes, the Indian support is lame but you can do what I do and hang up and call back when you hear someone with an Indian accent. They do have American call centers, you just need to call at the right time of day.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›