945 of 1,028 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Hotter than the sidewalk in Phoenix in July, October 8, 2007
This review is from: D-Link Wireless N+300 Mbps Extreme-N Gigabit Router (DIR-655) (Personal Computers)
First off, the really tough thing about wireless routers is that your performance can vary dramatically from someone elses. Whether its your hardware, your software, spyware, configuration of your house, your ISP, what type of cordless phone you use, or a myriad of other things, your experience may be entirely different from your best friend's. So, this isn't so much a review of the router as it is a review of my experience with it.

The Good

This router has all of the bells and whistles with the exception of dual band broadcasting. QoS, WISH, VPN, Port Forwarding, all levels of security, etc. It has Gigabit wired ports. You cannot get anything more elsewhere without doubling the price. It is all packaged within an attractive set up that provides hope that this will be your last router for quite some time. Set up is easy and straight forward. And, most importantly, you literally cannot get a faster router when within 30 feet.

The Bad
I really wanted to keep this router but I couldn't. My main problem was heat. After a few hours of use (just being on at all), this router was almost too hot to touch. I actually exchanged it figuring it must be a bad router but the new one was the same way. And, more importantly, when it got hot, I got intermittent lag via my wire machine on my internet traffic. Games that played flawlessly on my old Buffalo router started lagging; video started stuttering; downloads started pausing. Diagnosed it with my ISP as being on my side of their modem. When my old router was plugged in, all problems went away. D-Link tried to help me but there was a language barrier and no matter what we did with QoS and WISH, it didn't go away. I had to return the router.

The Ugly
FYI: Blue lights are pretty but REALLY bright. Seriously, you could read by them.

Like I said, I really wanted to keep it but I had to replace it instead. Your experience may vary so I would encourage you to try it because it is a very feature-rich router. Just keep your old one handy just in case.

P.S. Owned it for three weeks before returning it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 82 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 21, 2007 9:18:22 AM PDT
Wired says:
As a side note, I had/have a DLink 624 wireless router. The first one I had got very hot and eventually went belly-up. Don't know if it actually "burned-out" or if something else happened but I suspect the former (it didn't catch fire but electronics can't run that hot forever without something breaking). After spending time with tech service over the phone, they were satisfied it was dead and replaced it. The new one ran cool and has worked for years so I have mixed feelings about DLink. I think if you get a good one, you have a jewel. If not, you have to keep a cool head and convince tech service you have one of the bum ones. I'd bet money it comes as no surprise to tech service that one of their routers has "issues". The trick is to be able to wear them down to point where they accept your point of view. Sad but true. I have to admitt that despite prior difficulties with DLink, now that I'm in a position to update to 802.11N, I'll probably swallow hard and start with a DIR-655. It's a little like deciding to go to the dentist.

Posted on Oct 25, 2008 4:54:52 AM PDT
When you say VPN, do you mean you can configure it to dial PPTP connections?

Posted on Nov 16, 2008 10:37:50 PM PST
C. Wittel says:
My wife just picked one up retail today (we were in a real hurry) and it is running cool as a cucumber - no problems with heat so maybe D-Link got the heat problems fixed or you got a lemon. My last few routers have been Linksys, but I'm really impressed with this one so far (just got it set up). The only thing I found so far (which is both a plus and a minus) is that MAC address filtering is for both the wireless and the Ethernet connections. We have several laptops so that means burning two of the MAC address slots for each if we wish to connect either directly or via wireless. But this shouldn't be a problem for any home unless you are really over the top with number of machines.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2008 4:51:33 AM PST
I just purchased this unit and mine runs very cool. I mounted it in the vertical stand to give it more air flow, but it turns out that sitting horizontally w/other gear on top it still runs very cool.

There is some plastic seal on both the top and bottom surfaces that covers the vents, it is somewhat hard to see. I wonder if the original reviewer didn't remove one of these "protective" seals and created the heat issue. The other possibility is that it's been fixed in production.

In either case, two recent purchases say it's "cool" to purchase this unit now.

Posted on Dec 13, 2008 10:02:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2008 10:03:18 AM PST
GSREMN says:
I have DIR-655 for two month, using three out of 4 LAN's (2 computers plus network printer/scanner /copier). Have NO heat issues whatsoever!!!.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2009 11:48:07 AM PST
A. Acosta says:

Posted on Mar 8, 2009 6:01:27 AM PDT
W. Blunt says:
Yep, this router is not for gamers. Two computers on WIRED connection to it lag when playing BF2, which is ridiculous.

Wish I had taken it back, but I kept thinking they would improve the firmware. Time to auction it and get something else--I'm tired of my son yelling at me because he died from lag from this stupid router.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2009 2:45:26 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 2, 2009 2:46:16 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 22, 2009 3:20:56 PM PDT
BZB says:
Same problem with heat here, with a LinkSys WRT54GS, I slapped a case fan on top of it, problem solved. Using same case fan with DIR-655 right from the gecko, heat is barely noticeable, no problems at all what so ever, get some rubber feet from Home Crappo to raise it off the desk a little more, get better air flow underneath. Just mickey mouse, splice and connect a case fan with a USB cord.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2009 12:15:35 PM PDT
Rose says:
What did you end up replacing your D-Link with?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (3,171 customer reviews)
 (1,536)