4.0 out of 5 stars Compatible with my GoFlex FW800 and other adapters, Speedy, June 18, 2012
This review is from: Seagate Backup Plus 3TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STCA3000101) (Personal Computers)
I have been happy with my 3TB GoFlex drive for keeping my active iTunes Library and other multimedia files. I was backing it up onto a 2TB GoFlex to store off-site where it would be safe, until 2TB was too small to hold everything. For a while I split the backup across a pair of 2TB drives, but wanted to give one of the 2TB to my daughter for college. I have a multitude of portable Seagate GoFlex drives as well, and none have failed me yet. So I bought the new 3TB Backup Plus so I could simply clone the 3TB iTunes drive in one step.

I used the Mac OSX Lion Disk Utility to re-partition the Drive as "HFS+ Journaled", instead of the NTFS that it came formatted with. Then I did a test and copied a 16GB folder to it and it was pretty speedy (under 10 minutes on an old iMac). But this time I installed the Seagate software for the extra features, which I never did before with my other Seagate drives. BAD IDEA. I couldn't clone my first drive without the receiving drive switching to READ ONLY after between 2-16 GB transferred. Sometimes the drive would just stop responding.

I did a search and found that this is a universal problem with people all over - the drives work great on Mac unless you install the Seagate Dashboard software. I found instructions to manually remove the software, and every thing is fine now. On a faster Macbook Pro with Caldigit USB 3.0 Express Card from Amazon (1/3 - 1/2 the speed of Native USB 3.0) I was able to see speeds over 180 GB/hour copying files from another Seagate drive on the FW800 port, and approximately 270 GB/Hr from the internal drive.

In Summary - This is a great drive but I MUST WARN MAC USERS TO AVOID THE SEAGATE SOFTWARE FOR NOW, unless you think you are experienced enough to trouble shoot issues afterwards. If the Software hadn't bungled things up this would be rated a 5. If I hadn't figured out the software issue it would have been a 1.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 28, 2012 10:14:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 28, 2012 10:14:33 AM PDT
TruBaka says:
so for MAC user, its a good idea to formatted n not reinstall the Seagate software?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2012 12:11:23 AM PDT
When has installing bundled software *ever* been a good idea?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2012 2:04:55 AM PDT
L. Ganz says:
In my case I would just format the drive for Mac and use it that way - if you need the dashboard software you could see if it's been updated and download a newer version. I'm not going to do that right now.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 3:36:29 AM PST
Please link to the instructions for manually removing the software. You will rescue future seagate users from infinite frustration.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 8:02:23 AM PST
Book buyer says:
Just reformat it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 7:28:09 AM PST
Amsterdammit says:
How does reformatting the drive remove the software and the subsequent files from the computer?
I think the instructions for manually removing the software is a valid point since as we all know, the Mac does not have a native uninstall.
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 11:40:56 AM PST
L. Ganz says:
It doesn't remove the software from the computer. Reformatting to Mac format instead of leaving it as an PC format means you don't ever need to install the Seagate software to write to the drive. If you reformat the drive, and don't install the software, it works as expected.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 9:28:20 PM PST
Amsterdammit says:
THANKS!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2013 6:24:56 AM PDT
That's right, with a Mac you just drag it into the trash, no uninstall required. In this case the software is on the drive, not the computer. Just re-formatting it will get rid of anything on the drive.

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 9:44:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2013 9:45:04 PM PDT
White Lotus says:
Is this drive pretty straight forward to use? I'm a total newbie when it comes to disk backup. I never purchased one before cause I never really needed it. Just bought a 2013 iMac and I already have 500GB of stuffs ready for backup. Is there a manual that comes with this thing? I was going to use it with my Airport Extreme Base station's open USB port. But if that does not work, then I guess I would have to hook up this hard drive via the USB on the back of my iMac's monitor.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›