Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Monitor! (solution to hdmi color issue), April 14, 2012
This review is from: Asus VS228H-P/VS228 21.5-Inches Led Backlight Widescreen Computer Monitor (Personal Computers)
I recently decided to bring my 22" Acer 1680x1050 to work and needed to buy another monitor for my laptop at home. After searching through the likes of Viewsonic and others, I finally landed upon this monitor.
The features that enticed me were:
1. The design (no extra clutter enducing additions)
2. The Contrast Ratio. ASCR ratio: 50 million to 1? By any standards that's insane.
3. The Audio-out port. (I don't care much for built-in speakers)
4. The Hdmi port of course

This monitor met all my needs and more! I love the physical buttons this monitor uses, something I'm scared more manufacturers are abandoning. The stand is sturdy pretty much all the time except when you're pressing the buttons since you need to press up on the very edge of the monitor (not a big deal).

Some things to take note of when you buy this monitor though:
1. Make sure if you're using an NVIDIA Graphics card that you change the color setting in its control panel. Don't use RGB; it produces washed out colors when using HDMI. On my computer, I have set the digital color format to YCbCr444 and that seems to have solved the issue.
2. Make sure your hdmi cable is properly shielded. On the 2nd day of use, I noticed a humming sound which I initially thought was from the monitor. It turned out to be coming from the speakers. After countless testing I narrowed it down to the cable and was able to diminish the noise a bit. (ASUS doesn't give us an HDMI cable with the purchase unfortunately)

Update 1: There's one thing I don't quite like about the monitor, and I'm not sure if there's any way around (please let me know if there is). When the monitor goes to sleep or I shut it off, music stops playing from the audio port. It would be nice to separate the sound coming from the hdmi cable to the operation of the monitor. Also, the monitor becomes an extremely bright blue just like a TV when there's no connection found as opposed to the pleasant black screen I was used to with the Acer. (not a huge deal)

Update 2: A minor issue, but an annoyance nonetheless. While the display itself is matte, the casing of the monitor is NOT. It's a little distracting to see light reflecting from the side of the monitor, but I'm not going to throw a fit over it. (As a point of reference, the Acer monitor I used before did not have a glossy casing, leading to optimal viewing. However, it seems they abandoned that casing too!)

Update 3: The sound coming from the speakers is back. It looks like there's no way to get rid of it. If there is music or sound playing the humming noise won't show up. However, since I have my computer connected it doesn't seem like a very good idea.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 19, 2012 10:38:25 AM PDT
for your audio issue.. why don't you just plug your speakers into your motherboard for audio? or does that screw with things? i'm thinking about getting 3 of these monitors for AMD eyefinity.. just throwing out ideas for your issue...

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 9:05:15 PM PDT
I actually eventually have done that. It's a fine solution for the most part, but I was hoping to minimize the amount of cables running around my laptop (audio port is in the front of the laptop on my xps m1530)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2012 1:07:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2012 1:08:44 PM PDT
amanooensis says:
Would be a little surprising (though not impossible) for the monitor to be the source of the humming. (If it is, that's a pretty big engineering flaw, I think.)

I thought you were on the right track in suspecting cables, because most of our homes have hum-inducing electrical sources all over. This includes the power cables to the PC, and the monitor itself. If a "low-voltage" cable (like monitors, speakers, network, USB, anything like that) runs alongside a "high-voltage" cable (wall current, i.e. 120V in the US), even for a few inches, the power cable can induce a 60Hz wave onto the low-voltage cable. Shielding is supposed to prevent, or at least reduce, that -- but of course, shielding isn't always perfect.

Anyway just thought I'd offer this. Am shopping for a monitor with HDMI input and appreciate reviews like yours. Thanks!

Posted on Sep 5, 2013 6:50:35 PM PDT
Shawn says:
It may help to use a "Ground Loop Isolator" to solve any audio humming or hissing you may experience when connecting any type of audio equipment. This includes home, car, pc. I use a PAC SNI-1/3.5 3.5mm Ground Loop Isolator to connect my pc to tv and it got rid of a low humming sound that my tv was making. Amazon sells these for a reasonable price.

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 8:27:35 AM PST
Josh says:
I love you for the tip to change the color format to YCbCr444, such a huge difference.

Posted on Aug 1, 2014 2:36:22 PM PDT
Christopher says:
Thank you for this excellent review. These are the detailed kinds of reviews that can make a difference. As for the humming sound, I get that with headphones plugged directly into my computer case. It's most likely static from the motherboard; not much you can do there. (Also if you listen carefully, the humming noise will change when your video card is processing a lot of stuff.)

Posted on Dec 2, 2015 9:35:46 AM PST
Thank you for the NVidea YCbCr444 tip. I tried nearly everything, but this and was ready to write this off as the most washed out display I've ever used. Changing to YCbCr444 brings it into the middle of the pack. Sadly it still is much less vibrant and clear as my laptop running the onboard Intel video driver. But my laptop's display is pretty good, it's an Asus UX51Vz
‹ Previous 1 Next ›