4.0 out of 5 stars No problems for me, October 5, 2013
This review is from: Quicken Deluxe 2014 [OLD VERSION] (Software Download)
Like many others I've been using Quicken since the DOS days but after all the negative reviews for the 2013 version I was reluctant to update. I usually upgrade every few years and finally decided to take the plunge for 2014 from 2011. I had no problems at all and I also installed the iPhone and iPad apps without issue. I may not do some of the advanced things others do but for me it was easy. I only gave it 4 stars because although easy, there isn't much new that's important to me over 2011 but I like being current.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 14, 2013 8:21:51 PM PDT
Intuit's official policy is that they only support the latest Quicken version and the previous two. That means that within a short while they will only support Quicken 2012, 2013 and 2014. Anything from 2011 and earlier won't be able to handle electronic banking.

Yes, it is planned obsolescence. But, realistically, you get 3 years of use before you have to upgrade.

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 4:15:16 PM PDT

Posted on Dec 12, 2013 2:36:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2013 2:37:17 PM PST
I have all of my accounts on Quicken Deluxe 2004. Will the 2014 version be able to update with my data?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2013 1:23:34 PM PST
Thank you...I was debating whether to upgrade or not, but after reading your post, I checked what version I have...2011. When I opened it, I got the message that my Quicken 2011 online services end soon. I guess that makes the decision easy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2013 1:04:07 PM PST
They officially do not support 2012, since early in 2013. I tried and got that reply. I am going to drop Quicken when I find a good program that runs on Excel. Excel is a very superior platform compared to Quicken.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2014 11:46:33 AM PST
Robert Baker says:
The answer is, yes.

Personally I have had any data that is mishandled in an upgrade. Sometimes new features work different with existing data and can take a few moments to learn how it is being handled.

From the Quicken Intuit site:

What if I have a really old version of Quicken? Am I still safe to upgrade?

For the most part, yes.

The longer you go between upgrades, the more complex the conversion process can be.

For example, if you're going from Quicken for Windows 2001 and jump all the way to Quicken for Windows 2013, there may be a few issues tying the pieces together. But don't worry -- you can install a version of Quicken in-between so the leap between versions isn't so extreme.

Specifically, if you're old version is Quicken for Windows 2003 or earlier, you'll want to install Quicken 2004 before installing your new software. We provide you with a copy of 2004 and easy instructions here (link).
--------------------
I would post the link to the above but I don't think Amazon does well with HTML links.
This was from the main article:

"How do I upgrade to a newer version of Quicken for Windows?"
Updated: 10/07/2013 | Article ID: GEN83195

Posted on Jan 12, 2014 5:39:54 PM PST
I am using Quicken 2011 and know I need to upgrade. If I purchase a download version of Quicken Deluxe 2014 will it load more than one computer? (I have both a laptop and desktop) Can I reload if I buy a new computer or what if my computer crashes. Can I find a way to install it? I have the cd for the 2011 version and have had to install again when my computer crashed. I had saved my data on an external hard drive so all I did was reinstall the software and use the external hard drive to restore my last backup. It is much cheaper to purchase a download version from Amazon so I am considering this but not sure if it will work for me. Any help will be appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2014 7:36:02 PM PST
CaslerInk says:
I'm also wondering this. I am looking to purchase a digital copy on Amazon but not sure how many downloads you are allowed if I buy a new computer and such. Hopefully someone can answer!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2014 2:55:37 PM PST
IMO_FWIW says:
Usually downloads come as a an executable zipped package. That means you can copy the package to a CD, DVD, flash drive or your back up USB hardrive. If you have to reinstall just move the zipped file back to your computer hard drive and double click the file. It will reinstall itself. Regarding "loading more than one computer," the limiting feature is that most consumer commercially produced programs are usually only licensed for one computer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2014 1:19:39 PM PST
Jpota says:
You will be able to re-download from Amazon whenever you need to. Check on the price though I got the CD Version for $29.99.. The Electronic download version was going for $45
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›