ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components 100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums belkin All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Kids Halloween

4.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for!, March 18, 2014
This review is from: 300: Rise of an Empire (Blu-ray+DVD+UltraViolet Combo Pack) (Blu-ray)
300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE, knew right from the start exactly what it wanted to accomplish, and did so with a minimum of substance and a maximum of style. Now, for some viewers, this will be completely satisfying...and other viewers may find the film lacking in key areas. It's time to find where you lie.

If you like: hyper-stylized, slo-motion violence, flying bodies, spewing blood, epic music, giant battles, buff actors, sexy actresses, shouted speeches, stylized cinematography, battle scenes of dubious historicity, Eva Green chewing the scenery, earnest performances from a ripped cast, dastardly villains, blood, sweat, and rain, heavy R-ratings, and relatively simple-minded, stylish and macho war movies...
Then congrats, 300: Rise of an Empire is for you!

But if you like: historical accuracy, a strong plot, subtle acting, practical effects, morals, and an accurate depiction of ancient combat...I suggest you pick up Gladiator or read Herodotus. Rise of an Empire isn't the type of film for you.

If you saw Zack Snyder's visceral, testosterone-packed 300, then you know much of what you're getting in it's sequel. Now, Rise of an Empire isn't as good a film as 300, and I think we know why that is: the story of 300 Spartans fighting to the last man against terrible odds... is a much stronger story than a leader building a bunch of ships to go fight other ships. Secondly, Sullivan Stapleton, while suitably buff and a capable actor, just doesn't have the gravitas of Gerard Butler.

Thankfully, our returning cast - the amazing David Wenham, the strong-willed Lena Headey, and the insanely over-the-top Rodrigo Santoro as the eight foot god-king Xerxes - all give surprisingly good performances. Sullivan Stapleton holds his own, and his deep voice is the voice of a born leader. But it is Eva Green - scary, subtle, ruthless Eva Green that steals the scenes as Artemisia, the Persian commander of thousands of ships.

You know much of the rest: flying buckets of blood, sloooooow thenreallyfastmotion! gravity-defying leaps, flying arrows, swinging swords, sweaty six-packs, a drained color palate, flowing robes, and stylized gore. Zack Snyder pioneered it all in 300, and his style is borrowed for better and for worse by director Noam Murro. As I said before, know where you lie with this sort of film, and it will fulfill all it sets out to do!

My rating? 3.5 blood-drenched stars, rounded up to 4!

P.S. If this review was helpful in your decision, please give it a like. Cheers!

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 26, 2014 4:18:06 AM PDT
Reese says:
Okay, for the record, I hardly ever read reviews. I might scroll down and peruse the comments if I'm really on the fence about something, but most of the time I can tell by watching a preview or reading a synopsis whether or not I want to watch/read something. However, on just such an occasion where I found myself wondering what others thought of a particular film that I thoroughly enjoyed, I happened to stumble upon your review for said film. Cue Pleasant Surprise. I immediately became so engrossed in your words that I wanted to read the whole thing. I enjoyed it so much, in fact, that I clicked on your name to see your other reviews (which I've also never done, by the way) and found myself reading several of the reviews you've made on different products and entertainment. I am commenting now only to tell you that I thoroughly enjoy reading your work. I find it refreshingly well written and extremely comical and entertaining. If I ever have need of an opinion again, I hope that I will scroll down and see your name on the top of the reviews list so that I can get your take on things. I can only say that maybe you should be a writer, unless you are already, in which case, please let me know what you've written so that I can promptly buy and then review your work. In short, thank you for the thoroughly enjoyable waste of time. Keep up the good work.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2014 12:50:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2014 12:52:17 PM PDT
Anthony L. says:
Thank you very much. Comments like yours are the reason I remain motivated to review in the surprisingly cutthroat world of competitive reviewing. I am just glad I can help someone make an informed decision in the end.

I am a writer, but nothing I have written is for sale. You can read my work, short stories, online at Simply search "Tyler Lynch" (my first and last name) in the box. Once more, thanks for the comments.

Posted on Nov 28, 2014 6:08:19 PM PST
Excellent review, just bought it in HD due to what you wrote. We clearly know where we lie & needed some sound input since we've heard mixed reviews through word of mouth. We weren't expecting as good a storyline as 300, can't imagine how that's possible but 300ish in style. So far & just as you wrote seems like that's exactly what we're getting. Thanks a million for the excellent review!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›