Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong competitor to Blue's Snowflake, October 21, 2009
This review is from: Samson Go Mic Portable USB Condenser Microphone (Electronics)
Having misplaced my Blue Snowflake USB mic, I decided to give this recently introduced, competitively priced USB mic from Samson a try. (Samson is maker of the highly popular and effective Zoom personal digital recorders--the H2 and the H4n.) It's an attractive, fully outfitted piece of equipment, with handsome packaging (a small black box and zippered carrying case with aesthetics apparently inspired by iPod). It's smaller and lighter than the Snowflake--more diminutive than the picture would suggest. Yet the audio quality strikes me as being somewhat warmer and richer, favoring the bass frequencies of spoken narration more than the Snowflake, which has slightly cleaner and clearer definition at the treble end.

The Samson Go was seen instantly by my iMac, and recording was as advertised: "Plug n' Play." The mic is somewhat more sophisticated than the Snowflake in terms of "latency" settings (it permits direct monitoring via headphones connected to the mic to insure no delay, or lag time, between transmission and reception), and there's a three-way switch for directional patterns (the manual could be clearer, however, about the difference between "cardioid" and "cardioid 10 pad.") No matter. The mic performed virtually flawlessly right out of the box, with no tampering with the switch.

It's extremely sensitive, slightly more so than the Snowflake. Yet I was unable to avoid the "P" popping sounds, regardless of how close I got to the mic and muted my consonants. So be prepared for the addition of some sort of "pop filter" device (either one sold on Amazon or a self-designed one, using a nylon stocking).

The mic can be clipped to the top of a computer screen or mounted on a mic stand (using a supplied adapter or ordering a properly sized one from Samson). Yet with its heavy base plus the flexible, tilting mic, it can be placed on a flat surface--much like the Snowflake, but with greater stability and without any intrusive cable. (The Snowflake tends to "flop around," requiring some balancing of the device by the user.)

My biggest disappointment thus far is that the clip, as alluded to by another reviewer, does not open far enough for attachment to a desk-top computer (it should be an ideal fit with most notebook machines). Although the Snowflake doesn't use a spring clip, it suffers from the same limitation. If you're especially concerned about durability, the Snowflake appears to be the heavier, more rugged mic, with thick metal and no tiny switches or spring clips to wear out. The Samson is the more delicate and refined of the two. But don't kid yourself. Either mic will exceed the capabilities of your computer's built-in mic and perhaps the owner's expectations. On the other hand, neither is a match for the Shure SM7B that I'm accustomed to using at a local broadcasting studio. Still, Samson would appear to have a winner with this little wonder, whether it's used in conjunction with a computer to record full-frequencied music or "realistic"-sounding narration.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 10, 2010 11:33:24 AM PST
Abe says:
The "cardioid 10 dB pad" is exactly the same as the cardioid, just lower in level. That way you can scream or play trumpet right into the mic without distortion.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2011 8:17:25 AM PST
Giuseppe C. says:
First, thanks for the clarification. I'm glad to see this little puppy move up in Amazon sales. It's the most convenient quality mic I've found for use with a laptop--fitting better than Blue's Snowflake and sounding better than either of the 2 popular Sony mics. I've supplemented it with Blue's humongous Yetyl, which produces unparalleled audio quality for those radio announcements that I make at home and send to the public radio station.

Posted on Mar 4, 2011 10:03:32 AM PST
pirate4lord says:
Hey, I was wondering what kind of USB cable this has? Is it a little USB to big USB? What sizes are the ends?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2011 6:18:14 PM PDT
Giuseppe C. says:
The output from the mic is mini-USB, like the size of most camera outputs. Like a camera, you would probably want a conventional, large-size USB connector on the end that plugs into the computer.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2011 9:16:32 PM PDT
pirate4lord says:
Thank you, Mr. Chell! That is just what I wanted to hear. One more question before I buy: does the Blue Snowflake use the same kind of mini-USB connector?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2011 1:21:27 PM PDT
Giuseppe C. says:
Sorry for the delay. After I purchased a Blue Yetl, I sold both my Blue Snowflake and Snowball, so I don't have them in front of me. But since the Yetl (which makes this Samson mic look like a tiny ant when the two are side by side) uses a mini-USB port for the "output" cable, I'd have to assume that the other, smaller Blue mics use the same. If I'm wrong, I'm eager to be surprised. (I still have this little Sansom, which occasionally is more convenient than the "monster.")

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 1:48:04 AM PST
I purchased the Samson go mic and just got it yesterday. I was fed up with the Blue snowflake with it's short cable and flimsy construction which I never could stabilize on my desk always would flop over . I find the audio quality of the Samson much better than the Blue snowflake,maybe because the windscreen would pop off the Blue at the slightest drop and I could not put it back on good enough. Like Humpty Dumpty the old nursery rhyme I never could put the humpty dumpty together again. I hope the Samson will be stronger and more stable,which I think it will, than the Blue Snowflake,which has gone up to $60.00 dollars in price !Thanks for your review.

Posted on May 17, 2012 1:31:22 PM PDT
Would this device be suitable for recording a lecture in a college classroom?

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 3:18:31 AM PDT
I can't see a mute button. Does it has one?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2012 12:11:37 PM PDT
Abe says:
no, but you can mute it in the computer's mixer controls
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›