5.0 out of 5 stars Great and not so good. Well, all great after a phone call, October 23, 2012
This review is from: Apple iPod nano 16GB Pink (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL (Electronics)
This is my first iPod. I used a Creative Zen for years, but it wore out, the plug was going, buttons not responding any more. Looking at the reviews, and seeing that the 7G was coming out, and cost a good bit less than other models, I decided to give it a try. I listen to books while knitting, also sleeping, a great help when I wake up in the night also at the gym, although I am no athelete. So using and iPod is a brand new experience.

Good things: This thing is tiny. It weighs nothing. It's like using a set of earbuds to listen, with nothing else. The new earphones work very well. I can sleep in them with no problem. The sound quality is excellent, really good. I can even get good radio reception, and we live in an area where that is not a given. The touch screen is intuitive and easy to use. I love the fact that if you buy it from Apple you can get it engraved. I bought pink, which is a great color. The cord is expensive, probably because it is new, but it will fit into a cheap adapter for the wall or the car to charge. The volume goes much lower and much higher, which is very convenient. Not all recordings are low enough for sleeping comfortably, as I'm very conscious of the need to preserve your hearing. On the other hand, hooking it up to my car's speakers, I need the volume all the way up. If you are listening to a book, you can slow the speed down by half, in case you get someone speaking too quickly to understand. A great advantage if listening to books in a foreign language. I like that the light goes out after a while, conserving battery power. IPod 7G seems to charge quickly, too. If all I did was begin to listen to something on my iPod and stopped listening to it when I was finished with my workout, the 7G would get 5 stars.

Problems: While it has nothing to do with the iPod itself, dealing with iTunes is not an easy thing to do, and the instructions are not complete. It is reasonable to include iTunes here, as it is also made by Apple. I have to transfer my considerable collection of ripped CD's into a format acceptable to the iPod. In doing so, I notice that the files do not end up in order in the iTunes library. This can get to be a nuisance when you're trying to get all the folders onto the iPod. If I go to anything else, like listen to the radio, I cannot go back to where I was listening automatically by looking for Now Playing. I like that feature in Zen, and cannot seem to get it here. While the feature for books at half speed is great, there is no way to transfer something labelled as music into something labelled a book, and the half speed feature is only for books. Once my considerable collection of books is also in the iTunes library, syncing several books may be difficult because the list will be so big.

The verdict is not in. Both Zen and iPod 7G have qualities that are better and worse than the other.

After writing the above, I called iTunes, very helpful and friendly, a real person who can speak American English, and if, after the folder is in iTunes music you right click, then go to get info and change the type from music to audiobook, it will do virtually everything I want to. iTunes, which is integral to the iPod, has a lot more features, and it is worthwhile to explore it fully, clearly. So I have changed the rating to 5 stars, as this does everything I want, and does it elegantly.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 22, 2013 3:34:20 PM PDT
AKN says:
Do you have the number to call iTunes?
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2013 5:23:27 PM PDT
Bob B says:
I do not, sorry, but I must have gone to the help/support section of the nano 7. I believe I emailed first. I do know that they answered the question. It was well within the 90 day initial period.

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 10:30:04 PM PDT
SJC says:
You may just be who I need to speak with. I mainly listen to audio books as well, mostly while walking the dog. But the thing I hate about my MP3 player, is that while it will save where I left off, I cannot bookmark it and then listen to the radio, or music, etc. Then pick back up where I left off on the book. Not without writing down what chapter and how far in I was, then FF to it SLOWLY. Anyway, looks like warranty is going to pay me out, so am looking for something that will do those things. Can you save your spot in audio books, then come back to it later? Thanks for a good review covering exactly the info I am looking for.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2013 5:48:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2013 5:51:41 AM PDT
Rosiel says:
I think this nano does what you want. I just tried it, by pausing my Audible download, and listening to the radio, then going back. If you have an mp3 download, which is the whole book, if you go to chapters, scroll down the list, and you will see which one is where you left off. Click on that, and it starts where you left off. If you are listening to ripped CD's, you do need to remember which number CD of that book you were listening to, but then the process is the same.

As an aside, in iTunes I had a miserable time ripping CD's, as a few tracks would get into a different folder, which could not be combined. But if you do NOT let it automatically download the CD, but go to info and click on compilation CD, and then tell it to download, all the tracks will be in the same folder. Doing it that way, you can also make any changes to the title so the books mostly line up in your nano.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (2,201 customer reviews)
 (1,271)