4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a good animation/live action movie, April 28, 2011
This review is from: Hop (DVD)
With films like Yogi Bear, Alvin & The Chipmunks, Scooby Doo, Marmaduke and worst of all Garfield littering the cinescape with dreadful dreck involving live action people and computer animated cartoon animals, I wasn't exactly jumping for joy when I saw the trailers for Hop. In place of a nonsensical farce filled with more rubbish than a fleet of garbage trucks, in Hop we are treated to a whimsical tale with positive messages and loads of good old fashioned fantasy style fun. Anyone who grew up watching Rankin Bass holiday specials on TV will appreciate the classic themes beautifully updated for the modern day in Hop. Usually it works to advantage, occasionally it falls short.

The visual landscape and the animation of the characters is startlingly realitic and very quickly has you feeling you're just watching a regular movie where animals really do talk and there really is a secret lair of the easter bunny.

Like some other reviewers noted, there is a definite Willy Wonka meets christmas with Santa theme going here, and that's what really works. Visiting the people of the world only once a year and mastermminding the secrecy of the operation, many times the characters seem bogged down with non-information about the world inhabited by people, and thats just classic comedy perfection.

There are some weak points scattered about, but somehow, overall in the scheme of the movie, they are momentary and forgotten immediately as EB, our main character, immediately after a shortcoming does something else heartwarming to endear you to him and his situation.

When I emerged from the theater, I felt as though I saw a very substantial film, quite a task in an animated holiday kids movie, and one that involves Easter, a holiday not usually covered by cinema in terms of kids fare. What holiday can they take on next? I really don't care as long as the result is of the high quality that Hop exhits throughout. If you want a live action animated movie with real substance, hop on over and see Hop.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 13, 2011 2:28:27 PM PDT
it is a cleaan wholesome and adorable for kiddies and adults who want a good laugh and maybe a tear of two. i loved it. tigerfuff1

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2012 4:34:03 PM PST
Rene Popelik says:
I am trying to get movies for my grandson that will hold up through out the years...like our Rankin Bass etc.. Christmas movies(not the knock offs). Sounds like this is what I am looking for. I am tired of buying movies only to be highly disappointed.

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 7:18:46 AM PST
Autumn says:

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2012 8:31:08 AM PST
If you had taken the time to view all of my reviews you would have seen that I review movies of ALL kinds, not just kids movies. Perhaps the reason you didn't see it was because you were blinded by the negativity you attempt to espouse. Have a delightful day!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2012 8:27:35 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 6:39:16 AM PST
Once again, if you take the time to see my other movie reviews, you would know more about me. I shouldn't have to insert a disclaimer into every review I write simply based on what someone may think of me, the reviewer. The idea of a review is that it is about the movie you may be interested in seeing. You obviously aren't looking for something to watch, you are looking to start trouble, or to keep trouble brewing. If you don't like an honest, objective review, then don't bother reading mine, as I attempt to always give objective reviews based on several criteria. If what you want is 'I hated that movie, dont go see it' or 'Wow that was a great movie' without anything discussed about what it was that made the movie suck or made the movie great, there are plenty of other reviewers on Amazon and elsewhere who do that. By all means, if an intelligent discussion about a movie is beyond your capabilities, go and seek those other reviews out. If all you're really here for is to pick on people and try and find things wrong with them based on what they review or how they review it, once again, you're in the wrong place. An objective movie review is OPINION based. If you don't agree with that opinion, simply move on, don't bother people with negativity about it. Go find something positive to be happy about. It's healthier. Have a wonderful day!

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 1:14:50 PM PST
Alison says:
Well, I thought this was really helpful. I have two pre-school age children and I'm always on the lookout for something my kids can watch, with age-appropriate content and humor, that doesn't make me want to bash my head against the wall. (You will know if you have small children or grandchildren that a movie must stand up on first viewing, thirty first, and ninety-third. That is no mean feat)All of the movies in the first sentence appear so unpalatable to me, I have turned off the trailers, but it sounds like this may fit the bill, with the added bonus that as an Easter-themed movie, it would make a good Easter basket present. I don't see that comparing a movie favorably with others of a similar type is a back-handed compliment. And I don't care who the reviewer is,usually. I'm already accustomed to screening for the reviewers' biases in a review, fully aware that I may not be looking for the same things in a movie that someone else is, and adjusting accorindingly in deciding whether I might still enjoy it. I'm not looking for a movie for myself. I'm looking for one for my children, but I certainly do appreciate knowing I might like it too! Don't let the tweens get you down.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2012 4:28:52 PM PST
Rene Popelik says:
Yes his review was helpful, I am going to buy it...actually should before I forget....

I am not a tween....don't I wish..
I am probably old enuf to be your Mom :) Since I am looking for my Grandchild.

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 11:45:45 AM PDT
Please share the following video. It exposes the blatant racism of the hugely successful children's movie Hop. Hop will be released on home video 11 days from now and consumers need to be aware of its insidious subplot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=n5pAEvflhd0

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2013 6:38:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2013 6:40:04 PM PDT
Brother Rossie,
I am another who really wishes to thank your for you helpful review. I was not enamored by the chipmunks either; I like spice & spunk in characters, but they were just sassy, self-centered little bratlets. No redeeming value in their movies. (But it seems like you've attracted the comments of a few who enjoy the dreck!)
Cheers,
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Hop
4.1 out of 5 stars (390 customer reviews)

$22.98 $17.64