2.0 out of 5 stars Can't bring myself to keep using it., May 8, 2008
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Official Nintendo Wii Wheel Wii Remote Controller not included (Video Game)
My 10 y.o. son and I have been ripping through Mario Kart Wii and love it. I bought the game and this extra controller having high hopes. I must say that after a week of playing MKW with and without the Wii Wheel, far and away we both keep going back to the wiimote and nunchuk combo. I come home from work and the boy is playing and I ask him why he is not using the wheel. He replies that it works ok, but the wiimote works better. He is not known in this house for really giving things a good try and run something through its paces. So being the dad I am and that I spent the money on the extra one. We played each evening when I got home for work and every day he kept wanting to go back to the wiimote. I too broke down and stopped using the wheel. I am not sure why I do not like it just yet. Perhaps it is the poor ergonomics. maybe the familiar comfort of the mote and nunchuk combo, I am not sure. Maybe it is just the game and with another racing game it would be great. Regardless, be warry of it. Do not buy this extra wii wheel just because you got the game and both people want to play. Try out the wheel that comes with the game and see if you like it. If you do try the mote and nunchuk combo and see which you like best. Your mileage may vary.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 17, 2008 11:54:35 AM PDT
Mitch S. says:
My 5 year old daughter loves it. Maybe your boys hands are too small? :D

Posted on May 25, 2008 10:03:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2008 10:03:24 PM PDT
Totally agree with you Kirk. I also bought this wheel thinking that my sister and I would need it. After playing with the one that came with the game, I was truly disappointed. The steering was horrible. At times when I would try to turn (either left or right), my character would go the opposite direction. Finally got fed up with it and switched to the Wii Remote + Nunchuck. Before I was always 2nd to last or last; now I'm mostly in the top 3. This combo also helps a lot in online battles when you need to make hard turns.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2008 11:31:16 PM PDT
Loralea Grey says:
you were probably holding it upside down michael.

Posted on Aug 2, 2008 8:14:16 AM PDT
3 sons says:
considering buying, just to have an extra wheel with game. one of my sons likes the nunchuck combo also.

Posted on Sep 9, 2008 12:52:38 PM PDT
Nope, he's right. The wheel is pretty useless. "Fun"? Maybe, for some, and if so, cool, but technically speaking, controlling the old fashioned way works better, if you care.

And I care. And Kirk and his son do.

Posted on Sep 26, 2008 12:04:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2008 12:05:44 PM PDT
D. Clementz says:
The wheel works better if you tilt it left and right rather than trying to turn it like a steering wheel. I prefer the wheel and I routinely see people at the top of the rankings online using the wheel, so anyone saying it's useless just hasn't figured out how to use it.

Posted on Oct 2, 2008 8:01:26 AM PDT
Thanks for the review....I am going to take your suggestion and hold off buying an extra wheel until we try the one that comes with the game. It is all about personal preference...and thank you for reminding me to "try before I buy."

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2009 4:30:52 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 9, 2009 8:05:09 PM PST]

Posted on Jul 4, 2009 1:24:22 PM PDT
Raqel Redfox says:
I agree with Loralea, you go the opposite direction when you hold the Wii Wheel upside down, it happened to me before. It doesn't mean the wheel doesn't work, I love the wheel, can't play Mario Kart without it.

Posted on Jul 6, 2010 11:05:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 6, 2010 11:06:02 AM PDT
Certainly, it's a matter of personal preference which controller to use, but I would just point out that it takes a bit of time and dedication to really get a handle (no pun intended) on using the Wii Wheel.

I had an awful time with the Wii Wheel at first, but I was determined to become good at it. Even though I was quite good at the previous Mario Kart incarnations, I seemed to always be stuck in last place with the Wii Wheel. I tried the Wiimote/nunchuck combo once, and easily got 1st place. Then I rededicated myself to getting better at the Wii Wheel.

Eventually, I did get much better. Now I have a 2 or 3 star ranking on each of the circuits...all with the Wii Wheel. It is much easier initially to use the standard Wiimote/nunchuck, but it is possible to use the Wii Wheel successfully (and IMO, it is much more fun! :)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›