4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful/Practical Timepiece, August 21, 2012
After many years of owning various plastic watches (both inexpensive and decidedly not inexpensive) I'm very impressed with my latest time piece. I'm no watch aficionado but read positive reviews for this and am very happy having received it. The other people I've showed it to (also not watch geeks) have been very impressed.

My nylon band had none of the manufacturing imperfections I saw elsewhere. It's proving comfortable and stylish given my practical outdoor-ish tastes. Also, the nylon (not the stainless buckle) is what contacts my laptop palm rest.

The face is gorgeous, much more precise and clean than the watches I'm used to, even from a distance. I love the incremental ticks of the second hand. (Somebody else said there were six per second?)

It's very clean/clear and easy to read from a distance, faster than my previous digital and MUCH faster than digging my phone out of my pocket.

The size looks great on my small-side-of-average-for-a-six-foot-guy wrists, rugged and assertive yet not obnoxiously large as seems to be the current trend. Also thin enough to not get caught on clothing/jackets, or to clunk against doorways/etc when I walk by. (A problem I had with my thick altimeter-barometer-compass watch)

Having worn it for a week I've had no problems keeping it wound, given that I wear my watches whenever I'm not in bed or in the shower.

I like being able to see the action through the clear back, which looks great when sitting on the nightstand.

I can hear/feel the weight moving in the watch when I pay attention, but after a day or so I've stopped noticing during use.

My only (significant?) con so far is that the watch accumulates a minimum of 17 seconds per day, even if leave it on its side at night as suggested elsewhere. (Unless I'm doing this wrong?) My current hope is that after a longer break-in period I'm able to add/lose seconds at night depending on placement as I read I should be able to, given that I can't stop the second hand. In the meantime I'm letting it run down for a day and then resetting it.

A minor con is that the minute hand doesn't precisely align with the minute ticks on the face when the second hand is at the 12 o'clock position. I wouldn't have noticed this (or cared) were I not trying to track the gain/loss of seconds per day.

While a very personal value judgement, know that from a non-watch-geek person who does appreciate detail and good design (for example, the leather Book Book case for the MacBook Air) this watch was a great "value", ie for me it has a high price/performance ratio.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 29, 2012 6:47:22 AM PDT
Zewill says:
Hey there, just to let you know that you chose a great watch.. (I have the same! ;) )

Concerning the fact that 'the minute hand does not precisely align with the second hand', I understand your frustration. However, rest assured, this even happens on rolex watches. This is all to do with the mechanical aspect of the movements, they are more complicated, more stylish... but less accurate than quartz and often rarely aligned.

Concerning the 17seconds per day variation, this is way too much, even for this seiko movement. Mine gains a 2 or 3 seconds, which is quite exceptional (high end COSC certified watches allows the watch to lose maximum -4 seconds or gain maximum +6 seconds; outside this range, you can usually bring your watch back to be readjusted). While your seiko watch is not COSC certified, more than 10 seconds is clearly not normal. Let it run in for a few months, then it would be worth it to bring it somewhere to get it opened and for the movement to be ajdusted (easy to do and very cheap)

Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 8:51:36 PM PDT
A. Loika says:
Thanks!

Turns out the lack of alignment was operator error (mine) and after spending several minutes advancing the calendar and hands I'm staying within a few seconds a day.

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 8:55:26 PM PDT
A. Loika says:
Amazon bug? Tried to update my rating to 5 stars but I get a nonsense error message.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›