4.0 out of 5 stars Extended cut reviewed, period!, April 8, 2007
This review is from: Spider-Man 2.1 (DVD)
SPIDER-MAN 2 is arguably the best comic book action movie ever made. When I saw it in the theaters, I said: "wow"!!I was already satisfied with the original cut and now with Spider man 3 in the horizon, Marvel is coming out with 2.1. Luckily, I managed to see my friend's sampler.

Forget everything else when you watch this extended cut and it's outstanding. The extra 8 minutes of footage add context, lengthen and deepen some emotional scenes, inject the funniest moment of the film and (surprisingly) add and extend fight scenes.

From what I can tell, almost all the deleted scenes are incorporated in. The elevator scene when spidey lost his powers, more emotional scene and character depth why he is losing his powers and the clock tower/subway fight with Doc Ock has been extended(although the extended scenes are very subtle).

For Spider-man fans(such as myself), it is something that completes the entire context of the film and defines why Peter Parker is such a comic book hero than shall I even say Superman or Batman. He is broke, have a lot of hardships but he still travels the straight and difficult path just to do the right thing. His problems caused him to slowly lose his focus, hence his powers. He believes in (Stan Lee came up with this)"with great power comes great responsibility." and Aunt May's "sometimes we have to give up the things we want the most, even our dreams" just defines Peter as human, with flaws but he is always willing to make a sacrifice.

Now, I have some experience with marketing gimmicks to know this is also one. But for Spidey completist, (if it wasn't for us, no 2.1 wouldn't be released)it may be worth the purchase. It is not a superior cut of the original but it does fill up the void between 2 and 3. I already own the SE 2 disc release, as well as the outstanding Superbit version(the superbit version utilized 6.8 gb space out of the 7.4 gb dual layer)and I can't help getting a bitter taste in my mouth and now I heard Fantastic Four is also getting an extended cut.

Video: The picture is amazing, although the superbit version is still a bit better. It looked like it has a better transfer from the first release. I didn't see any noise because of the extended scenes. Colors are radiant and vibrant. It was sharp and clean, and for some reason, the 2.1 transfer seemed brighter and yielded more detail in the black levels where needed. Superior transfer from the original SE.
Audio: French, spanish, Portugese, English 5.1 DD track, sorry, no DTS-ES. Sound is crisp and loud with 5.1 Dolby Digital track.
EXTRA FEATURES: Weak. The special features in the original dvd release are a lot better. For die-hard fans, you still cannot get rid of the original version, it has the best special features.

I cannot say this version is better than the first Special Edition or the Superbit, but die-hard fans will be happy to own it although I CANNOT give it a "HIGHLY RECOMMENDED" RATING. It is something you have to think about, if you already have the first SE version, but definitely grab this one if you don't own any of the other previous dvd releases.

RECOMMENDED!! It is a weak 4 stars for the dvd release, 5 stars for the movie.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 14, 2007 7:20:05 AM PDT
A. Gammill says:
Thanks for the great review. It's nice to read a REAL review of the DVD release, instead of people whining about consumers being "ripped off," etc. If you're a fan (even more ridiculous, many of the negative reviewers claim to be fans), you won't mind supporting the franchise with this moderately-priced set.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2007 9:29:17 AM PDT
Woopak says:
You're welcome, and I agree with you. No one's being forced to buy anything, we are in charge of how we spend our money.
I only tried to focus on the film and not anything else.

Posted on Aug 30, 2007 1:57:45 AM PDT
Yet another review by Amazon customer "Woopak"
basically stolen from other websites. If you read
both reviews, Woopak's and the one linked to below,
you'll see stretches where he copies from the original
word for word.

EXAMPLE:

WOOPAK PLAGIARIZED VERSION:

DVDTALK ORIGINAL VERSION:
Full source: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=27413
Forget everything else when you watch this and it's great. The extra 8 minutes of footage add context, lengthen and deepen some emotional scenes, inject the funniest moment of the film and (surprisingly) add and extend fight scenes.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2008 5:29:35 PM PDT
Mike Liddell says:
Thanks for the extended version review, I totally agree with Spider Man 2 being one if not the best comic book adaptation. Others would want to fight me about the original Superman which I haven't seen in forever. I also really liked Hellboy, looking forward to part two. It says Spiderman 2.1 isn't available anymore, I'll have to look.
It sucks cause on blu ray you gotta buy all of them together to get part 2, but you can buy 1 and 3 individually, I think the marketing people also realize how good 2 was as well.

Posted on Jan 17, 2009 5:21:14 PM PST
fmwaalex says:
Great review man, I agree with every word man. If you like need it all then it is worth the purchase, but the casual fan can stick with the first release.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (999 customer reviews)

$19.94 $4.02