Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved Every Minute of a Film They Finally Got Right (And Can't Understand All the Hate), July 7, 2010
This review is from: The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (Two-Disc Special Edition) (DVD)
Prior to going to the theatre, I sat down to watch the first two installments of the Twilight saga; as a habit, I try to re-watch movies whenever a sequel comes out, just to get an idea of how the series progressed and developed. And in all honesty, both contributed to my overall impression and appreciation of Eclipse.

Twilight is a movie I've never really had an opinion on one way or another; it wasn't the greatest movie I've ever seen, but it wasn't a complete train-wreck. Looking back at it now, I have to say that it is very painful to watch. I, personally, found this first installment to be very mediocre and primitive. Everything in it--the corny music, the blue filters, the choppiness, the transition, the plot selection--felt like a crappy teen flick. But the weakest point of this movie was the lead acting, so weak in fact, that it made the story more difficult to watch. The entire time, I could not focus on anything but the fact that Kristen Stewart kept letting her mouth hang open and scoffing/sighing with every line, while a somewhat aggressive Rob Pattinson kept awkwardly twitching and cringing as if he was in pain. There was no buildup to the romance whatsoever, and it left me wondering why Bella and Edward were even a couple. It wasn't until I got the books for Christmas that I read the story and figured out what was supposed to happen.

New Moon was a fair improvement, coming from a director whose work I generally like. The music selection was much better and more appropriate, the graphics a bit more exciting and the color-scheme more natural. Can't say that the transitions from every scene were done well; this movie still felt like it could be more uniform. And I absolutely loved the entire sequence in Voltera, Italy; that depiction alone is reason enough not to discount New Moon's cinematography. But though this movie was well-shot and produced, once again, the lead acting lacked. Rob made a change, which unfortunately went in the other direction, making him too robotic and emotionless. In my mind, I started to question whether he even had any talent or was just a poor actor. It wasn't until I saw Remember Me that I thought that he had any potential. And Kristen, who at least limited her scoffing to only two or three times, did not shed a single tear in any of the key scenes. Thankfully, her acting was balanced out by Taylor Lautner's, who actually gave a great portrayal of Jacob.

The minute I sat down to watch Eclipse, I had high hopes that David Slade would finally give the Twilight series what it needed - some quality - and walking out at the end of the film, I was anything but disappointed. The flow of the movie was very smooth, and I was actually surprised at how fast it was coming to an end. The special effects and fighting scenes were precisely shot, and the snow-capped mountainside was breathtaking. I am not a Twi-hard, teenager, housewife or part of whatever other stereotype is used to describe people who like this series, but I absolutely loved this movie from beginning to end. In fact, for the first time, I felt like I was watching a re-make of the series with new actors and overall better cinematography.

My biggest surprise was the acting. For the first time, Rob actually nailed Edward's personality and depicted him as he was meant to be--sensitive, caring, loving, witty, protective, etc. Every scene he did, whether angry or laid back, was spot-on and believable, all creepiness and awkwardness aside. FINALLY! And Kristen, though still not at her best, actually smiled and laughed and was fun as opposed to depressed and introverted. This improvement from both of them made all the intimate scenes feel more natural and the romance more believable. All the actors, in fact, especially Jackson Rathborne and Nikki Reed, really stepped up to the plate and played their characters well.

Although no movie will ever give a faithful adaptation of any book, Eclipse got pretty close. And though there were certain liberties taken with the plot, which I remembered well, they did not detract from the key ideas. Overall, the movie hit on all the aspects of Bella's feelings/decisions about love, family, marriage and human life through different interactions with all the characters. Even if I hadn't read the book, I felt like as a viewer, I had enough information to understand her struggle and ultimate choice.

I know that there is always a negative for every positive, so there are plenty of haters of this film. But despite the complaints about the substance/content of the story (which should be attributed to the novelist, not the director), I feel it's unfair to deny that this is more mature, professionally made film that actually breathed some life into what could have otherwise been a cheesy, teen flick.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 8, 2010 8:34:48 AM PDT
Missy Hoppe says:
Excellent review. I couldn't agree more. This is by far the best of the three movies, and the slight changes they made to the book's plot improved the story in my opinion. I hope the DVD comes out soon! I already want to see this movie again!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2010 6:51:19 AM PDT
You pretty much said everything i was already thinking... except that i still think "New Moon" was better in terms of well, everything. Chris Weits, i feel, made an act of love while David Slade, whose "30 Days Of Night" was awesome, simply put the book on the screen. Simply? I know it's incredibly unfair to say that (how can i know how he really felt) but that's how i felt while watching it. I liked "Eclipse" nervertheless and it's true that the acting was better. Maybe that's the only thing that really stood out from this third opus when compared to the others. The acting.

But darn it! Kristen Stewart just won't stop fidgeting (she doesn't do that in other roles) and i can't read any comments on Bryce Dallas Howard as Victoria. Am i the only to think that Rachelle Lefebvre was scarier and that she has an edge that is truly hers? I mean, God knows i find Bryce beautiful and talented but... replacing Rachelle was too risky for any actresses i feel.

Posted on Aug 16, 2010 9:37:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 16, 2010 9:39:35 AM PDT
V. Sawyer says:
I agree on all parts, except that Bella's struggle in chosing between Edward & Jacob. I am a huge fan of the books, and Eclipse was my favorite of the series. The movie depicted her "struggle" as "well, I have feelings for Jacob, but no big deal, I love Edward more." The book was so drastically different! She was devastated after leaving Jacob's side, and I thought this was very important, but left out of the movie.

Posted on Oct 6, 2010 12:05:20 AM PDT
I felt like I was reading something I wrote...I feel exactly the same as you for every movie. Eclipse wasn't even my favorite book, but it was my favorite movie out of the three.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2010 5:59:27 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 15, 2010 6:21:36 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 18, 2010 2:14:07 PM PDT
M. Linville says:
I absolutley agree with everything about this comment. I would change nothing. So far to date, my fave film in the saga is Eclipse, which means, that Breaking Dawn will either really suck or be the best one yet. I guess we'll have 1 year of waiting to see how the first installment of the final one is. All we can do is hope they use either a director as good as David Slade, or one that's better. Only time will tell.

Posted on Nov 21, 2010 2:39:09 PM PST
Bonnie C. says:
Excellent review, thank you for saying EVERYTHING that was in my head!

Posted on Dec 4, 2010 2:53:56 AM PST
This movie did NO justice to the story. The fight scene was nothing special and too much was cut out to make this movie feel anything but choppy. Hollywood ruined this book. Bella acts STONED through this whole movie and I don't ever feel that she truly loves Edward or Jacob in any of it. This is the worst movie of the series so far...they could have done SO much better....and its not because it differs from the book but because too much seems cut out of the scenes and Kristen's acting is lifeless. Loved the first movie, liked the second but this one is substandard. Breaking Dawn is my favorite book next to the first and I better start praying now that they don't screw it completely up.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2010 9:59:58 AM PST