5.0 out of 5 stars Zhu Zhu Zooming Through My Room!, October 2, 2009
This review is from: Zhu Zhu Pets Hamster Pipsqueek - Yellow (Toy)
Picked up two of these guys the other day since they happened to be in the store and I happened to be in the store. A little bit of background first: I'm a 26 year-old collector of many things including robotic pets. I've tried out Furbys, Micropets, Neopets, Scoozie pets, Petal-chi, Mutsu, Fureal Friends, and more so I consider myself a bit of an expert on the subject.

To start with, these things eat batteries, have triple A's on hand. Second, I don't have any playsets, I'm just testing the hamsters.

Upon opening and removing this little guy I tried out "cuddle mode", which was a little disappointing. The hamster will lie still and make cute noises every few seconds or so but he isn't really responding to anything. "Try me mode" is when the hamster is off but you can push his nose to hear a random noise, not a lot of fun there. Now play mode, that's where the fun is. The wheels are fast and the grip is really strong, I promptly put it on my boyfriend to see if it would climb up his shirt and it did, hit the back of the couch, made a springy noise and ran back down. Even he cracked up at it. It tackles carpet and all hard surfaces no problem, and makes a ton of different noises, some 40 in all, and each of the four designs sounds unique!. You have to be careful around stairs but all in all it does what it was made to do and cheaply at that. At normal retail they're cheaper than most action figures.

(I got mine at normal retail and I suggest you wait until you can too. If you have kids and can't find them try giving a cute IOU written from the hamster saying how it will come to live with your child after X-mas. They have a guarantee from you, you have a kid who still has something to look forward to after December. All is well.)

Remember these are for ages 3 and up and have motorized parts. It says in the instruction to supervise your child, so do so. Risk is probably minimal but if you have a kid you wouldn't give a RC car to then they're probably too little for these.

So to wrap up

Good: Funny and varied sounds, cheap, cute, runs fast and randomly, fascinates my dog!
Bad: Hard to find (for now), eats batteries, can pinch, can be broken with a moderate impact.

Have a hamster good day!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 10, 2009 11:24:21 AM PST
Did not know how inexpensive the pet hampsters were. I feel I have been taken to the"CLEANERS"!! This is wrong. Spent $28.10 for one pet from 911 Drugstore but looks like most sites posted on Amazon are running this amount. This did not include shipping. What a RIP-OFF!! Not happy! Talk about price Scapling!!

Posted on Nov 14, 2009 11:15:54 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 30, 2011 10:40:13 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2009 7:10:49 AM PST
Danisme says:

Posted on Nov 16, 2009 12:13:00 AM PST
Worked on me when I was little, so maybe I was weird. XD Like two weeks after X-mas there were furbies everywhere and then they let me pick one out. Though to be fair it probably depends on how much other stuff the kid has to distract them on X-mas morning. XD

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2009 8:45:11 AM PST
Jeff Sazzer says:
As long as there are other actual presents there should be no problem unless your kids are greedy

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2009 11:20:34 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 30, 2011 10:40:22 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2009 5:32:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2009 5:34:06 AM PST
J. Pawlowski says:
Happy Black Friday!

I've seen these things going for 6-9 bucks when they first came out. Now they're averaging almost 60 bucks. Whatta rip-off for a little cute POS. Thank god my son is all grown up now. I was going to get one of these as a toy for our cats. But unless they fall back down to under 10 bucks I won't ever buy one.

Posted on Nov 27, 2009 8:05:03 AM PST
I really DO NOT GET these toys. We pay pest control people to trap/kill live rodents then buy mechanical ones to play with. I missed something somewhere?!?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2009 1:51:36 AM PST
Robin O. says:
Christmas is about Jesus and his love for us, the IOU puts these toys and there price in their proper place. Good example for children. There are so many other happy gifts for them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2009 9:36:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2009 9:38:27 PM PST
Jack think of it as a cute furry racecar that runs. We all had wind up cars when we were little I think, It's kind of a timeless toy. :D

And Robin no offense meant, but we do solstice here as my BF/fiance' is panthiest, I kind of intended the IOU to be really more of a "I love you and you'll get one but don't worry about it right now" kind of thing. The holidays for me are more about trying to tolerate my family being in one room when they can't stand each other, alcohol helps. XD Though I imagine that Zhu Zhu's would make good Hanukkah gifts too as they're pretty cheap (gotta stretch it out for ten days).
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (98 customer reviews)

$20.94