Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars Startling clarity, detail, and color, May 31, 2009
This review is from: Samsung UN55B8000 55-Inch 1080p 240 Hz LED HDTV (2009 Model) (Electronics)
Had my Samsung UN55B8000 TV a couple of weeks now. It has more than lived up to the hype. Hooked it up and put on a blu-ray disk. Even the delivery guy's jaw dropped, and he's delivered/set up hundreds of TVs.

TV is only inch and half thick and only weighs 60 pounds or so.

In fact, it is sometimes almost too good. When viewing people on HD you can see every little mole, scar, wrinkle, stray hair, makeup, five o'clock shadow, makeup line, etc. I'm sitting here watching the news and I can clearly see tiny pieces of lint on the guy's black suit. I'm guessing the talking heads of tomorrow are all going to have to have much better complexions.

If you like to tweak your TV this one provides a lot of different controls. There are already some websites that will give you what they consider good tweaks to maximize the pic. You can also look for the B7000 tweaks. Looks pretty darn fantastic right out of the box so if you aren't a techie, don't worry about it.

Sounds..not particularly good or bad, but I don't want TV speakers taking up space anyway. If you are going to spend this kind of money for a TV you should be using your stereo system.

Some reviewers were complaining about the number of inputs. Again, how many is enough. I run my PS3, XBOX360, IPOD, and the Dish box through my Denon and so I only use one HDMI.

You can plug it into the internet. No set-up, just plug it in. First thing it did was download 12 updates to itself. Have no idea what they did but ...didn't cause any problems. It automatically loads up some of Yahoo's widgets. Fun to try but...not something I have really gone back and used much. Also has some built in content...recipes, artwork, etc. that I haven't bothered to look at.

You can plug in USB drives and view content directly off the drive.

I long ago got rid of my roof antenna. I bought a little Turk indoor antenna and plugged that in so I can pop over into over-the-air signals and watch TV. It will automatically search and find the on-air channels. It even downloads some kind of TV guide from the internet for the channels it finds.

I also wanted to see if there was any signal degradation from Dish. I haven't noticed the HD degradation with Dish that I had with Comcast. The way Comcast packed the HD signals you could see a real difference between OTA and the packed pics.

Samsung also provides software which allows you to use your PC as a server. Then you can display your pics, music, etc on the TV. Took a little playing around but was easy compared to some of the others I've tried to use.

I've played games with both my PS3 and the XBOX360. No problems. No pixelating. Did not bother to change TV over to game mode. I haven't fooled around with the 240Hz function. I just leave it on standard.

I'm sure there are other features I haven't tried. With the ability to update itself over the internet I have no doubt they will teach it even more amazing tricks.

I've set up my Harmony 880 Pro to control all my devices including the IPOD. IPOD menu/info will display (through my Denon) on the TV.

All of the above features are great but the main thing is... the picture is just absolutely mind-blowing wonderful.

So, fantastic TV. I am VERY happy with it. Obviously I highly recommend it.

((Now I'm watching Wall-E in HD and it is pretty amazing.))

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 15, 2009 10:49:14 PM PDT
Fantastic review. Wow! Thank you for your input.

Posted on Jan 24, 2010 12:17:00 AM PST
SHADOWMAN says:
What would you say your favorite PS3, or 360 game is on this TV. How are Blu-s looking? Have you tried out the HD PS STORE VIDEOS, or Zune Store? I kind of thought that all of motion control stuff looks quite strange in the stores and really turned me off, I would probably keep it standard too.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2010 8:16:09 AM PST
Honestly, I see very little, if any diff, between the two games. Bluray...great looking. Haven't tried any of the stores. Still very happy with my TV.

Posted on Feb 4, 2010 9:14:07 AM PST
Brad Johnson says:
I agree with everything 'MIKE' said. I have had the TV and BR DVD player for about two months. When I got home I plugged everything in and have delighted. Next Thursday the 'Geek Squad' is coming out to help with the complex options I wish to activate, E-Mail, phone caller ID, my PC data base, and Internet, and so on............
At that time they will make final vidio adjustments now that the TV has had a chance to 'burn in'. What caught my attention was Mike's statement that Comcast was not providing as fine a display as OTA. He says "there is a real difference". That will be an issue with me. I have not considered Dish because Comcast provides Internet, phone, and TV in a bundle package. I do not see an option for the cable. I will review choices with the Geek Squad. I want to have the crystal clear picture the TV is capable of, pimples, bad make-up and all............

I am very happu with my choice, so is my mom. She now has my 'old' Panasonic Plasma that served me so well.

Brad at the beach

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2010 8:26:31 AM PST
Sorry I didn't get back to you. I had Comcast when I lived in Cupertino, CA. When they started adding more HD channels their DVR really had problems. Would lag and gag. To compensate they had to pack the signals even more which means deleting more detail. You could really tell the diff if you switched between the cable and OTA. Might not be true now...was a couple of years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2010 8:12:16 AM PDT
D. Johnson says:
Hey Mike, I don't have the time I wish I had to do research on this purchase. The Samsung model 55C6300 is $675 less and the only thing I see of major difference is refresh rate and internet access. I don't care if my TV can access the internet, and I've read the refresh rate issue isn't that big of a deal. Do you think this TV is worth the extra money? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 12:51:50 PM PDT
Why would someone move from Cupertino to OC?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›