Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

1.0 out of 5 stars RIP Gears of War, March 23, 2013
This review is from: Gears of War: Judgment (Video Game)
I just can't get over the fact that my favorite game franchise has gone down the drain. Where's the love for all the faithful fans that made this franchise successful? It's lost everything that made it unique and it's been replaced with halo and call of duty gimmicks.

What it has that it should not have:
-Blue and Red teams like HALO(Replacing COG vs LOCUSTS)
-Health Grenades Like HALO
-Multi-Shot Snipers like HALO & COD
-Still has the NOOB weapons since Gears 3(Retro & Sawed Off)
-They Changed the Controls to be More Halo and COD Like with "Y" Swapping and Bumper Grenade Tossing. It's awful, I've tossed like 1000 grenades pressing the left bumper trying to see the position of my team like I used to.
-Team Deathmatch is now played to 50 Points instead of the Spawn system where people didn't spawn once spawns were depleted
-Grenades now stick on you like HALO.

What they Completely Ruined:
-The Melee, my God people are back to two piecing, it's Frustrating!!!
-The flamer is just completely overpowered. It's instant Death in any Scrub's hands.
-Only one primary weapon when you spawn. It's retarded.
-The gnasher has been turned into garbage. Not enough power for a close range weapon.
-Tweeking down the gnasher was not enough. Now it only has 8 bullets when you spawn. It Sucks.
-There are no "Downs" and "revives" anymore you just die like COD and HALO.
-There are no "Executions". Remember that guy that pissed you off the whole game and you downed him last and you just beat the crap out of him when the game ended. Well kiss that goodbye!
-There is no execution mode in the game. It's what made gears!! Why toss it out?
-No grenade tagging as proximity weapons.
-Now this is the worst part. The servers suck even worse than gears 3 after the servers were downsized. The HOST player can eat it like a champ. There is a whole lot of "Sponging" and wall bouncing is useless!!! The character movement is the lousiest out of all gears games.
-Only 4 multi-player maps upon release? Really? That's just Cheap!!
-Where is the active reload????

Well my conclusion is that 29% of the times EPIC and People Can Fly sat down to plan this game they talked about how to make it more HALO and COD like. 1% of the time they talked about how to make it better(even the menus are carried over from gears 3, not even that's new), and the other 70% of the time they just talked about how they could MILK the COW! This game is just insulting. My expectations for it were not even high, but this is just HORRIBLE. It's sad when a game franchise with so much potential becomes broken because they just want to make money off it, the developer targets other franchises with success and tries copy their gameplay with hope of attracting their fanbase.

I loved GOW. I even played 2 years through the laggy Gears 2 with no dedicated servers. Why? Because I loved the gameplay, the controls, COG vs Locust Execution, destroying people with my gnasher and my hammy, tagging grenades strategically when I was the last man standing against a bunch of people, wallbouncing like a madman and killing 2 or 3 guys in a row, and bashing the last guys brain in with an execution. Now that's what made gears of war successful, that's why I've spent more than $700 in games, DLC and the gears 3 Console. I even bought Bulletstorm for the gears 3 BETA, and payed $65 for one of the worst games I've ever seen. And this is the thanks we loyal fans get? Shame on you! I will tell every soul that I know not to buy this trashy game. I'm sending mine back and I'm never wasting another buck on your releases. Bunch of copycat gold-diggers killed off everything unique about the game!!!

Update 3/27/2013

New turn of events. Best buy's 30 day policy does not cover video games, so I'm stuck with this unless I do a $30 trade in at gamestop. Tried giving it another go the past few days. The campaign is short and a little too hordelike for me, but it's not that bad. My review is based on the multiplayer which is why I buy shooters in the first place. I tried playing online again and I was pissed beyond belief. Every corner I encountered a two piecing scrub. The melee and shotty people just suck, there is no excuse for those, but then there are the players who like to be able to spawn with a rifle, they only have one weapon when they spawn now. What are they to do in a close quarters battle? I'm getting two pieced in a variety of ways, Melee/Markza, Melee/Hammerburst, Melee/Classic Hammerburst. This is really epics fault for eliminating the secondary weapon upon spawn.

I don't think the multiplayer can be saved with an update, there's just too much wrong to it, specially the way it feels connection wise(It Sucks). I've popped a few heads with the sniper after people get in cover, I try to wallbounce and it feels like the character is on roller skates, the torquebow has to be held for like 5 seconds or it just bounces off. I personally like the fact that you can now jump off relatively low places like "RIG", but it's not cool that people can jump off buildings like in "Streets", "Gondola" and "Library". Also, I really hate how the frag grenade has lost it's worth and it's power. The kill radius is like a Foot. I loved how grenades where a map based weapon in the past, you had to engage people to get a hold of grenades instead of spawning with the firecracker they give you now.

Update 4/2/2013

Downloaded the Haven DLC on Friday 3/29/2013.

My updated review is aimed at the newly added Execution Mode because the update didn't apply any changes to the other game modes(That I have Noticed).

PROS

1. One new map - Haven
2. Down But Not Out is Back in Execution Mode(obviously needed for performing executions).
3. Meatshields are back in Execution Mode.
4. No Frag grenades upon Spawn in Execution Mode.

CONS

1. No updates were performed for other modes.
2. Still No Frag Planting Available for Multiplayer.
3. Same weapon layout for Execution Game mode (only one primary weapon).
4. The death count for players is not displayed in the match summary.
5. Have seen no difference in the so called "Dedicated Server Improvements" , Mr. Host AllMighty is still running around in every Match.

Adding execution is much appreciated, but should have been included from day one. Adding 1 more map and calling it a "free download" does not make up for the lack in content upon release. Overall I find this a horrible strategy by the developer. Withholding this content from initial release made the game feel even more lacking "Out of the Box".

This DLC does not change my initial Rating of 1 Star.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 24, 2013 9:02:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 24, 2013 9:03:05 AM PDT
Ken says:
Spot on review. I won't be playing Judgment for all the reasons you listed and the few extras I mentioned in my own review. However I will say that, while I'm a gnasher/hammerburt guy 99% of the time, if you still think the sawed off and retro are noob weapons, you probably don't play enough. They have their place, and some people are just as skilled at using those weapons as they are the gnash, hammerburst, and lancer. After about a month of play any solid gnasher will dominate 90% of sawed off and/or retro users. Just look for the gun in their hands and adjust accordingly. But anyways, lets play more Gears 3.

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 12:31:30 PM PDT
casual_j says:
My thoughts exactly! It really is a spot on review. I feel same way. Bought every Gears game, bought the Gears console, jokingly called my 360 a "gears box" instead of an Xbox because it's the game I go back to most.

Per ordered here on Amazon, and did the VIP pass before it shipped. Huge mistake. It looks like Gears but does not feel like it at all. The campaign resembles Left 4 Dead than Gears. Why change buttons, teams, and remove HORDE!!!

Gears was great because it was different than COD & Halo. Now it's some cheap hybrid clone. No words but simply disappointment.

Again, spot on review.

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 3:32:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 24, 2013 3:34:53 PM PDT
hayden says:
good review. all we can hope is this testing phase for epic is over

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2013 6:55:19 PM PDT
50.00 bucks this was the gears of war kinect game they were planning

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2013 5:48:56 AM PDT
RoAdKiLL says:
They do have their place, they were created for all the people that complained about the gnasher and the initial rifles were difficult to use. They are weapons with a very easy learning curve and make up for being an awful player in close quarters. I specially criticize the Retro, people who use it don't even take out a shotty because the Retro is Overpowered at close range and sprays like a garden hose. I actually think they make me a better player because I have to be more aware of the type of player I'm up against. However i don't enjoy being up against a whole team with retros and sawed offs, it turns me off.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2013 5:52:27 AM PDT
RoAdKiLL says:
Well I can tell you MY EPIC phase is over. They let me down enough. Lying about the servers and now with money milking releases. Zero effort deserves zero interest.

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 6:40:38 AM PDT
Mr Good Guy says:
This should probably be a review, but Im putting it here because this review came up as one of the most helpful. And hopefully my disgust with this game helps fellow Gears fans stay away from this new installment. I was a diehard GOW fan, until now. I actually traded in GOW 3 because I assumed there was no way they could make GOW worse. Big mistake. I figured they would enahnce some of the old gaming dynamics, maybe even add a few more guns or maps. Instead they destroyed a game that was perfect the way it was. Dont get me wrong, the campaign is solid and worth playing. I do like the declassified missions. However, the multiplayer, specifically HORDE, is what i purchased the game for. Im not sure if they are trying to capture COD fans or what. But they may have very well lost many of the true GOW fans. Those fans that have been with the franchise since the initial release are going to be very dissappointed. Why in the world would they take out Horde? This to me was the main selling point to Gears, for me anyway. Some will disagree. However, Horde was what I typically would play. This new Survivor mode is not even close to Horde and in no way is a replacement for Horde. Anyone who says otherwise has not played the previous Gears. The new survivor mode is a joke. 1) I no longer feel as if I can roam the map looking for the enemy. The enemy is no longer focused on taking you out but is rather focused on destroying the base your trying to defend. This to me changed the dynamics completely. No more roaming the board looking for kills because if you leave your post, they will slip by you and destroy the base you are trying to defend. I may be wrong, but thats how it feels to me. I now feel restricted in my movements. That in itself makes this game completely different from Horde. 2) No more assisting your team mates while they are down. Instead you just die and respawn. I enjoyed that part of the game. It made Gears unique because rather than being out for yourself, you were compelled to help your fellow man in order to survive. 3) I personlly do not like the new gun loadouts and absolutley hate the fact that you have to choose which type of soldier you want to play. Now everyone has their own set of skills, so unless your a techinician you cant repair any of the turrets or barriers unless you die and respawn as the technician. Absolutely stupid. I fully enjoyed saving my cash in order to purchase stronger barriers, turrets, etc. They changed everything that made Gears (Horde) unique. If I knew they were going to change the entire dynamics of the gameplay, I never would have traded in my GOW 3 for this. I am so disappointed that I refuse to finish the campaign and will be trading it in this coming weekend for Bioshock. I will of course wait to see the reviews this time before I make my purchase. But sad to say, I dont think I will be coming back to GOW because this new release was such a BIG disappointment to say the least and i refuse to purchase GOW 3 again. I learned two very valuable lessons. 1) Never ever ever purchase a game on the release date. Wait for the reviews to come out then decide, and 2) sequels are not always better. I figured there were some games that can be trusted to be great upon release based on previous performance, such as COD, Halo, GTA, and GOW. This game has shown me otherwise and has forced me to be more critical before I purchase any future games. Its a sad day for true Gears fans. Oh and a personal note to those so called Game Developers at People Can Fly, "Ifs it not broke then dont fix it". From this point foward I will be making sure to check reviews first and will always be wary of any game that is released by this developer. Dissappointing is the best word to describe this game.

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 10:48:30 AM PDT
Jfrombk03 says:
i am sorry i completely disagree. This game plays alot like gears of war one. I love it honestly. Yea it has 4 maps but maps will be added to the game. I always believe that you have to give a game time to see what its hitting for. I havent had lag or found out who the host was especailly considering i play with people in cali all the time and i am on the east coast. The sawed off isnt even that strong any more. The Gnasher feels almost as good as gears 1. The 2-piece from gears one is back but there are ways to get around it. I guess everyone is intitled to their own opinion, and mines is just nothing but love for this game. I ve had every gears and thought 2 was the worst one.. and i still do..imo, this one is better then 3

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2013 12:09:56 PM PDT
RoAdKiLL says:
To each his own. I personally loved when gears 2 was updated to eliminate two piecing. It should not even exist, period. Once you get meleed you freeze for a second, then you get Gibbed. Not much of a way around that unless you like to melee yourself, Might as well play fight night if people are going to be in a fist fight. To me the only valid reason for a melee would be if you're reloading, or you're out of ammo. By the way if you're not noticing that there is someone eating a lot more shots than usual in every match, It's probably you. And that usually comes accompanied by "I forgot to mention that I have a 50Mb Connection and I get host most of the time". Every one of the people I have played with have noticed the "Sponging" effect, I've shot people square in the chest with the gnasher at point blank range and it's like throwing a bag of peanuts at them. It also happened in gears 3 almost a year after the release probably due to server downsizing. If it's happening in judgment the first week, I don't even what to know whats coming later on. As for the maps, it displeases me to only have 4 maps, I paid $65 and you usually get 6+ maps when a game is released. But then again EPIC was the one who introduced the SEASON PASS. You might believe it's a way for you to save money, but it's really a way for the developer to get more money upfront. Remember, the less they give you with the original purchase, the more they are left over to sell as DLC. Keep going down the complacency road and you'll soon be looking at no maps with your game purchase and "You have to buy any map you want to play on". Anyway, glad someone's enjoying his purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2013 12:21:22 PM PDT
Jfrombk03 says:
No a few things i do agree with but this is the way i look at it. When i used to get games as a kid. They were 60 bucks. There were no add ons, dlc, updates, nothing. On some systems for certain games they were even more. Now that i make my own money, while i am not rich, i dont mind the 60. Most of the time i just trade in other games any way and it keeps cycling. I guess i ve played against and with people from all over. I ve even played in some player matches and could one shot the host with no two pieceing. gears of war 1 which is the one that people refer too as having the best gameplay had the melee too. And it didnt hurt the gameplay at all. In this one u just have to get used too it. Also too, excuetions will be back in the game with the classic excueution mode. I am looking forward too that. I under the maps tho. i dont like their being 4 maps neither but i thought about it and i played the same for maps in gow1 and gow 3 too. CANALS, WAR MACHINE, FUEL DEPOT, AND A ANOTHER OF YOUR CHOSING for the fourth. Lastly, gears of war 2 had the worst shotty out of all of them. I am surprised you liked that more.. but like you said to eachs own.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›