Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

1.0 out of 5 stars Persistent bugs will make your game unplayable, December 21, 2011
This review is from: The Sims 3: Pets Expansion Pack (Video Game)
I love Sims and I've been playing it since the first games, but this is the first Sims game that I've preordered. Sims 2 was always extremely buggy for me, but Sims 3 actually worked better on my computer... until Pets.

As usual, only play Sims if you don't mind long load times. I actually rather like the excessively long loading screens because then I get some reading done or do some pilates or whatever, and I become surprisingly productive. Obviously, this isn't for everyone because not everyone is that weird.

The pets themselves look great. I love that the horses have an "exercise" status bar and the dogs have a "destructive" status bar (I haven't made a cat yet). It's funny and accurate.

Unfortunately, that's about as far as I got. Initially, the game was completely unplayable because it would crash every time I started it and on the rare occasions it didn't, the graphics for the pets would get creepily wonky and my Sims would be unable to interact with the pets. I didn't even play the game until EA came out with another patch this month, and then I thought everything was fixed. It loaded and didn't crash nearly as much and the graphics were stable. I seemed to be able to have my Sims interact with my pets.

Then I couldn't save my game. I kept getting "error code 12." I looked up a fix online that required going into "Command Prompt" and allowing the Sims 3 to use more RAM. This fixed the save issue. I'm not sure if this was responsible for what happened next or if it was unrelated, but after that I could play normally for a little while, and then my Sims couldn't interact with my pets again. Sometimes they would try to interact on their own, but it either might not happen or they would stand next to each other forever and not do anything. I looked up more fixes online. I deleted my caches, deleted my mods, turned off custom content... No dice. The next step would be to start from scratch, but I already spent 3 days building a town (more due to loading issues, save issues, and crashing than to actual work involved) and I am loathe to toss that out the window because EA can't build a game that works.

This would be such a wonderful game if EA would have released it WITHOUT tons of bugs that make it impossible to even play the game. I've spent more money than I care to think about on this series and spent hours just trying to make it so that I could play the thing. This is ridiculous. After spending good money on a brand new game, no one should have to spend hours and days trying to fix it. That's not my job. That's EA's job and they're not doing it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 16, 2012 9:21:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2012 9:22:19 AM PST
Most 'bugs' are really just people trying to play modern games on crappy machines. If your game takes so long to load you can get a session of pilates in, its a crappy machine.
error code 12 can be memory related or it can be misplaced objects in your lot, or it could just be a...you guessed it: crappy machine. If you did all that stuff in your review like you said you did and your game is STILL acting up, its most likely your PC

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2012 10:10:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2012 11:13:32 AM PST
Kate says:
Except there are A LOT of people who have the same problems that I'm having, which you can see if you google the issues or look on the Sims forum. The patch EA released in advance of Pets caused problems for everyone. The Sims 3 (with all the previous expansions) played perfectly well before Pets. The Sims has always had notoriously long loading times. And considering I paid $2000 not very long ago for a top-of-the-line computer, I highly doubt it's my "crappy machine." In any case, blaming all the problems on the computer they're playing on is a cop-out. If a company is making PC games, they should play well on most PCs. If not, they have a really dumb business strategy because not very many people are going to shell out thousands of dollars for gaming computers when they could pay $200-250 for a 360 or a PS3.

I should note, my computer (which I recently got rid of to get a new laptop) exceeded the minimum requirements and I played the game on low graphics. There is absolutely no reason for my computer being the problem, especially when I can play other games (including those with more demanding requirements) perfectly fine. If the minimum requirements as listed are no longer accurate, that's a failure of EA to accurately represent and market their game.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2012 11:14:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2012 11:17:10 AM PST
I understand what you're saying. Maybe crappy was a bad word...'lacks resources' is maybe more PC (pardon the pun), but as an example I have two machines, one XP 3GB mem/1-HD6900 ati card: On this machine the game runs great, load times of 45 seconds max. 2nd machine is Win7 16GB ram Xfire HD7000s: game launches in 30 seconds, lading saved games 15 secs. The 1st machine used to give me error 12 all the time- then I stopped downloading from The Exchange (worst place for content). Yes I see that many seem to have the same issue as you, but many do not as well. So while blaming the gameplay on the PC specs is a cop-out (to you), throwing all your problems onto the game when others dont have your same problems means that the game is working...just not for you. Many other people download bad CC from questionable sites then expect it all to work flawlessly in their game, is this EA's fault as well?

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 5:47:40 PM PST
K.Coates says:
You know The Sims 3 Pets worked fin on my computer, but why isn't it working you ask? You guessed it YOU my friend have a crappy PC!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›