The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars I'm in shock over what Cisco just did. (somewhat resolved, I'm still updating), June 26, 2012
This review is from: Linksys EA2700 App-Enabled N600 Dual-Band Wireless-N Router with Gigabit (Personal Computers)
My internet just went out, I've had a few resets since i purchased this router. But, other than that it has rocked hard. This time I do the reset & the Cisco Connect Program is only offering me a single choice. Which opens my browser & takes me to the new Cisco Cloud, or whatever its called. They want ALL my personal info & router admin info, password, etc. So.. I simply closed the browser without filling out a thing. Go to reopen my Cisco Connect software that came with my router, to check on my router settings. Lo and behold the only trace of the software ever having been on my computer, is the completely empty Cisco Connect folder in my Programs folder.

I have never had something like this done.. remove a program that I installed without even asking me, much less no warning what-so-ever. I registered, they have my email, too.

Another guy that used to work for Linksys or Cisco, posted on the Cisco Community forums that he did try to reload the CD in an attempt to use the old version of tools we had residing on our computers, it would not even reload. If someone that really knows what they are doing can't, I won't even attempt it.

It's working right now, so I'll just keep an eye on the forums there. Will update this review if we get any more info.

Update: Cisco Community Wireless Forum is in an absolute uproar over this forced firmware for the new cloud & removal of the local software. The entire day has now almost passed with no official Cisco Rep addressing any of our concerns.

Update: They have made an official post & stickied it in the Cisco Community Wireless Forum. I have not done it, yet. But the linked instructions are very well done, complete with pictures with step by step. I'm leaving my 1 star until I see if this stabilizes this router. As I said right off, I have had to reset my entire system several times too many, for no obvious reason. And, I want to see if they fix it where the cloud can be a real option, rather than now having firmware we cannot update, which is still absolutely unacceptable.

Update: An official announcement on their blog from the 5th, which I just found today. I doubt I can post a link but it is the Cisco Blog on their website. This is in bold: Customers can set-up and manage their Linksys router without signing up for a Cisco Connect Cloud account.

I personally have not unchecked the auto update feature on my rolled back version. But according to the blog post, I should be able to do so, without the cloud being force fed to me. Once I have tried it & it does work, I will be back to confirm.

Update July 12 2012: I asked on the official forums, a few days ago, if it was indeed safe to allow auto update on my rolled back classic version. I wanted to know if it would cause me to again lose my internet connect 7 require complete reset, etc. Was told by a forum admin to hold off until they can get this verified.

I just found this very well written article about this entire fiasco.
[...]

-------from the official forum post-------
Smart Wi-Fi Routers: How to downgrade your firmware back to standard web-based setup page version
Options

06-29-2012 11:58 AM

Dear users,

Here is an article discussing how to downgrade your smart wi-fi routers' firmware back to standard web-based setup page version.

Rolling back the Cisco Connect Cloud firmware

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jul 16, 2012 3:28:28 PM PDT
Hi rosetone,

We apologize for the recent upgrade experience to Cisco Connect Cloud. We truly respect and value our customers' choice to use the new Cisco Connect Cloud.

Regarding your Auto-Update concern, please feel free to allow auto-update in your Classic version as Cisco will continue to support both local and cloud management options for our customers.

Should you have any question or need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact Technical Support at 1-800-326-7114, or continue to engage with us on our community http://homecommunity.cisco.com

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 28, 2012 12:22:00 PM PDT
GJM says:
Cisco Cloud Connect is a total disaster. The tech support people already know this, and if you can get through the melted down lines you can get them to give you a link to the (non supported) previous firmare files.

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 11:20:54 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
It's actually worse than you're describing-they spy on your web traffic, on your internal network, etc.

SEND IT BACK NOW.

Cisco should be put out of business for this. This is one of the most egregious abuses of trust any consumer electronics company has ever tried to pull. Just astonishing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 12:18:34 PM PDT
rosetone says:
Thanks Wolfpup.

I agree. Have not sent mine back, yet. But, I sure would not buy from them knowing what I know & having had this experience. That is for sure.

A comment by the manufacturer   (What's this?)
Posted on Jul 16, 2012 3:28:28 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 10:03:28 PM PDT
WolfPup says:
What Cisco did is a COMPLETE breach of the customer's trust. While many of us used to pick Linksys (or Cisco) as a first or second choice, they no longer can be. You don't get to do silent upgrades that allow you to spy on your customers, sell their data, etc. and then just pretend it didn't happen.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 2:52:18 PM PDT
KWat says:
I also received the same canned response from Cisco. I'm going to try using an open source firmware first then send it back. The hardware is fine for the router, but I honestly did not get a good feeling from their invasion of my privacy.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2012 10:18:32 PM PDT
oB says:
Returning my router. As far as I am concerned Cisco is complete garbage. I bought this router and it will not work with a Mac operating mountain lion software. Worse yet when I searched for this problem I see that this problem has been around for over a year with no fix. So Cisco expects me to downgrade my operating system to install the software?

Don't use Cisco! Try netgear instead.

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 7:21:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 6, 2012 7:47:32 PM PDT
listen440hz says:
Not only was the push of a Cloud update out to an unsuspecting and loyal public very bad business, but on top of it, this router is a dog!. Really a shame, cuz I was once very pleased with Linksys line, but can't help but notice it's in decline...

Very happy with my Netgear N300. Yup -- it's an older model, _much_ cheaper, and works _much_ better. Still trying to fathom the simple beauty of it. Plug it in and forget it! What else should a router be? Still shaking my head and smiling.

Think Cisco lost a few loyal consumers forever:

"On behalf of Cisco, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused." Apologies don't cut it. The firmware update that delivered the final death blow came after my 30-day window for return expired. Isn't that a bear?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 12:55:50 AM PST
"You do have an option to use Cisco Connect Cloud in the future and at your convenience. To learn more about the Cisco Connect Cloud and available options and features, please visit
"

Honestly, really? He just told you he was not interested in Cloud as Cloud is JUNK which it is and you know it, half your post is an advertisement for Cloud! Sad, you dont get it, we dont want Cloud software, we dont want Cloud technology as Cloud is J.U.N.K!!!

Linksys used to be good, used to be, no more. You violated our trust with the Cloud B.S. Go back to full web based support and save yourself before its to late.

Posted on Mar 27, 2013 11:40:55 AM PDT
John says:
Thanks for posting this warning. Cisco is now backpedaling on their spyware. Cisco: "Cisco Connect Cloud does not actively track, collect or store personal info or usage data..."

Got that? It's not "actively" spying on you, just passively spying on you. It doesn't matter at this point, Cisco, we know what you *tried* to get away with. Apologizing does not lessen that.

I own a network services company and will be taking this matter into account when making future purchases and recommendations.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›