5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet, Cools 17" Laptop, Love It, August 25, 2013
This review is from: Targus Space Saving Lap Chill Mat for Laptop up to 17-Inch, Gray/Black (AWE80US) (Personal Computers)
Decided my laptop needed a chill mat, as the bottom would become quite warm when in use. I chose this mat based on where the laptop seemed to be heating up (just left of center), and because it stated it would work for a 17" computer.

Works perfect. Does an excellent job as my laptop no longer is warm on the bottom. Always seem to use it extended open. Fans are quiet when laptop is sitting on mat. Have a bit more noise when no computer is on it. Very comfortable in my lap even with shorts. Has spongy padding on the bottom where it rests on your legs, as well as the area the laptop sits on. No vibrations or rattling.

Yes, the laptop does extend past the mat about an inch on each side, but this has not been a problem for me. I know to feel for the mat edges when picking both up and always slide my fingers into the mat opening. Perhaps that is why I always have it extended open. Closed, it would be a bit precarious to carry around when simply holding from the bottom. Have no doubt I would drop one or the other in short order.

Have not had any problems, but have only had about a month, so cannot speak of it's longevity. Have forgotten to unplug it and it has ran continuously for 24 hours. Doesn't seem worse for wear.

I highly recommend purchasing a chill mat for your laptop. I'm surprised at how warm they become even though they have their own internal fan/s. When looking for a chill mat, I paid attention to where my laptop would heat up and made sure the chill mat had openings/fans where my laptop needed them. Chill mats have openings and fans in differing locations, so please keep that in mind when purchasing one for yourself. Some are nearer the top, others the middle or lower, and some even have moveable fans so they can be placed wherever you need them. Then there are those that only have a fan centered in the middle. Make sure you know where your laptop is going to need them and buy accordingly.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 3, 2013 7:46:29 AM PST
Lisa Madore says:
so how is it working now do you still have it ..I have a Toshiba laptop 15 inch what do you think would be good for mine pleas can you reply back..thank you

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2013 6:42:43 PM PST
Hi, happy to say it is still working fine and I use it for extended periods a lot. But I am not prone to abuse it. It's still sturdy, even though I'm always moving it around and don't usually use a flat or solid surface.
Something else to keep in mind, if you're running your laptop on battery, you sometimes don't get much time before the battery runs low. I say sometimes, because other times I haven't had a problem. So I also use the mat without the fan. I figure there is an air space between my lap/surface and the laptop and figure that helps too.

So sorry, but I do not know where your Toshiba heats up at. My laptop heats near the left just below the mid-point. I don't think this would work very well if the heat area is toward the bottom of the laptop as there is no venting in that area. Looking at it, I don't think it would help at the extreme top either. Also note, this tilts the laptop just enough to be comfortable for me to type when it's raised in the rear. It only has the two settings. Some mats have no other setting, while still others can really tilt your machine to an almost 45 degree angle. Best advice would be to decide what you need, what you want, what you can afford, and go from there. This one is plastic, so I'm sure metal would hold up better if you need/want something more rugged?
I hope this helps you. Sorry that I cannot give you more specifics. Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2013 6:52:24 PM PST
Lisa Madore says:
Thank you for answering me I have it now I like it..no problems with it works well..
‹ Previous 1 Next ›