2.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, but HOT, September 9, 2011
This review is from: Best Home Fashion Chocolate Wide Width Grommet Top Thermal Blackout Curtain 100"W X 84"L 1 Panel - BWW - GT (Misc.)
I bought this "Wide Width Grommet Top Thermal Blackout Curtain 100"W X 84"L Panel - Chocolate - BWW" to both block out the morning sun shining into a room and cut down on the heat caused by that sunshine (I'm in Florida, so the heat is a problem). This is a good quality curtain that looks almost exactly like the picture here on Amazon. I put the curtain up yesterday afternoon and was quite pleased with it. By noon today, however, I realized it wasn't performing properly. A minor issue is that even though the fabric is thick, it doesn't block out all the light that's directly shining on it. That's tolerable. However, the big problem is that this curtain is brown on BOTH sides. So, as the sun beats on the curtain, it absorbs almost all of that light energy and radiates it directly into the room as heat from the other side. The room now gets far hotter than it did with my old, regular, white-backed, curtains. If you live in a cooler climate or if you're not faced with direct sunlight, this curtain is probably a good bet for you (call it 4 stars out of 5). But, for me, I'll have to rate it at a pretty bad 2 stars out of 5 and see if Amazon will let me return them.

For those not familiar with curtain measurements, I'll add something about how this curtain fit my window. The window in question measures about 79" W (outside edge of molding to outside edge of molding) by 85" H (top of curtain rod to floor). I figured that this one, single panel would be good enough since I hardly ever opened the old curtains. I was right. But, just barely. The height's not bad at all. But, you should be aware that the curtain extends about an inch above the grommet holes. So, that shortens the effective length just a bit. The bigger issue for me was that my curtain rod is about an inch in diameter. The 1.6" diameter grommets fit on the rod without problem, but they have to sit on the rod at an angle (weaving around the rod). With the wide rod, the grommets don't have much (any) play. The curtain fits the width. But, again, just barely. With a thin rod, the curtains would probably be adequate for another inch or two in width since they could lie flatter. But, in general, I'd consider my 79" W x 85" H window area to be the absolute maximum size that this panel will cover. It's not a problem. Just be aware of it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 1, 2012 2:48:38 AM PST
I am also interested in the chocolate and was wondering how good the color is.
Thank you so much for your reply.

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 3:55:14 PM PDT
Vegas says:
I love it!!! Great quality at a reasonable price, I can finally sleep without the sun waking me up... From now on I will only buy my curtains from this company...

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 3:56:21 PM PDT
Vegas says:

Posted on May 2, 2012 8:10:05 AM PDT
Simi P says:
Thank you the maximum dimensions that you mentioned in your review is very helpful information.

Posted on May 4, 2012 9:15:33 AM PDT
M. Melvin says:
Thank you for pointing out that it is not white backed! That was really helpful information!

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 4:40:43 PM PDT
D HW says:
To Mr. Lessnau,
I am a decorator, so please consider this advice with that in mind. Most of us recommend buying curtains at least 96" (even if you only need 84") and hanging them 1" below the ceiling to the floor. That way the grommet holes do not allow in light and your ceiling looks taller as a bonus.

Just a suggestion for anyone who has concerns about grommet curtains.

DHW

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2012 2:03:44 PM PDT
William says:
DHW
What is the 'gather' on the 100" drape? My french doors w one sidelite is 97" molding to moding.
So 100" would prob leave too much light on the sides. I could get two 52" which might do it, but if the
gather isn't too thick -maybe two 100"?
Thank you.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 5:40:51 PM PST
denilea says:
Thank you for the great review!
While I can understand these curtains don't fit your needs, by your description, I feel they'll suit mine!
I'm looking more to block the cold, and like that the color will face out, since I won't have anything under them.
I appreciate when people state why they're happy with a product, rather than simply complain.
Your review of how they hang with the rod size is also very helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2013 7:21:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2013 7:24:05 PM PDT
Jiggy Bear says:
It is a good idea to buy draperies that are twice as wide (total)as the outside of the window frame...or twice as wide as the existing rod... order two (each as wide as the window or rod) if you want them to be opened from the center. For certain applications where the drapery will draw from one side, order one panel twice as wide as the window or rod.

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 12:19:41 PM PDT
Oregon Jan says:
Thanks, David! Those were just the details I needed to tell me that this curtain will work just right for me! Great review!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›