3.0 out of 5 stars Some good tunes - but there's not enough cheese to go with the whine., December 14, 2008
This review is from: KCRW's Sounds Eclectic: The Next One (Amazon.com Exclusive) (Audio CD)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Upon getting Sounds Eclectic from Amazon, I really didn't know what to expect, save for the definition of the term eclectic:

"To make up or combine elements from varied sources."

I'll give my thoughts on each of the 12 songs below.

"Falling Slowly" by The Swell Season: In this duet, the male vocalist reminded me of Cat Stevens. The song combined a haunting piano melody with an acoustic guitar. This song is easy on the ears after a stressful day.

"Heart It Races" by Architecture in Helsinki: While the synthesizer & steelpan tune are fun to listen to, the lyrics sound like screeching. I would have liked this tune a bit more without the lyrics.

"Australia" by The Shins: I knew I had heard this song before, but it took me a while to remember - it was in the video game Project Gotham Racing 4. This is a fun little tune which conjures up images of driving with the top down, even if you've never played the game before.

"Until You Leave" by Stoney: I didn't get much out of this song. Melancholic lyrics like "There's nothing to do, you either get pissed up or you move" make this little more than a whiny ballad for me.

"You're a Wolf" by Sea Wolf: Here's another haunting melody on acoustic guitar. The lyrics tell the tale of a man (wolf?) torn between finding his lady love and heeding the warnings of an old gypsy. Another one I enjoyed.

"Home" by Great Northern: Remember the movie 21? Well, this song was in it. It's one of those songs that fit well into a romance film. The female singer reminds me of Elizabeth Thompson from the band "Medicine" - listen to the song "Time Baby III" on "The Crow" soundtrack, and you'll see what I mean.

"I Summon You" by Spoon: I like the peppy guitar riff and the floating piano melody on this one. Clever lyrics like "you got the weight of the world coming down like a mother's eye" keep this song in my head for hours.

"Fruit Machine" by The Ting Tings: It's not every day that I hear a song about a slot machine luring its prey back to lose all their money, and yet here it is. This song really stands out from the others on this disc. The punk melody is similar to the early Police song, "Driven to Tears".

"What's A Girl To Do" by Bat For Lashes: Here's yet another haunting tune to tug at your heartstrings. The passion is gone from her relationship, but she cares for her man so much, that she can't bear to end it....What's a girl to do, indeed?

"Stranger Than The Stranger" by Oliver Future: I never thought I would hear a song that sounded whinier than "I'm So Sorry" by The Smiths - and after hearing this song, I stand corrected. Not much else I can say.

"Time Bomb" by Goldspot: The sounds of this band remind me of Echo & The Bunnymen. The lyrics in this song don't make a whole lot of sense, but the guitar tune is pretty catchy.

"Life Is Still Beautiful" by The Orange Lights: At the end of the lineup, we get a song about wishing for the pain to go away, and it'll take some time, but since life is still beautiful, it'll be all right. Sorry, but this tune joins the other whiny ballads.

So did this sampler live up to the definition of "eclectic"? Absolutely. There's punk, Caribbean, pop, alternative, and other forms of music to be found here. The songs on this disc have popped up in video games, tv shows and movies.

I enjoyed quite a few songs on this sampler, and I can see myself trying a few bands on for size. Unfortunately, I also filled my quota of "life sucks, let's share our sorrows in song" ballads for the next 6 months.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]