Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Submitted for your approval..., October 31, 2006
This review is from: The Twilight Zone: The Complete Definitive Collection (DVD)
a man in his 40s. See him sitting at his computer writing yet another review for Amazon.com. Smart, educated, funny. He is the kind of man that men envy and women want to be with. There's just one thing, though, tonight this man will find out he lives in the Twilight Zone...

This show was absolutely fantastic. The writing, the acting, the production value, everything about this show was/is/and will always be perfect. You couldn't make a show like this now. It has too much depth, too much insight, too much actual truth in it for the networks to handle. It seems as though television's motto today is, "Keep 'em numb, keep 'em dumb". Yeah, there are a few good shows that actually have some intelligence to them, but nothing packs a punch like the original Twilight Zone. The beauty of Serling and his collaborator's writing was that it was tight and yet sparse. They didn't spell everything out for you. They assumed you had a brain and that you were capable enough to use it. In fact, a lot of the stories that were on the "creepy side" were not about the things you didn't know, but the things you thought you did. I mean, who would've guess that To serve Man was actually a cookbook?

I used to really look forward to Thanksgiving Day...no, not because of the dried out old bird with the runny gray stuff oozing out of it that my aunt insisted was turkey and stuffing, but the annual Twilight Zone marathon. Every year on the Los Angeles station, KTLA, channel 5 they had a morning till night Twilight Zone marathon with the top five being in the latter part of the marathon. No matter how many times I saw certain episodes, they still gave me the "wooly bumps". Like for instance, Terror at 20,000 feet. A young Bill Shatner sees a monster doing some rather destructive things to the wing of the airplane he is flying on. They told him it was all in his mind. They insinuated he was going crazy. They deboard the plane and there is a shot of the airplane wing with damage done to it....ooooo...I still get a little freaked out thinking about it.

You want to talk about irony? Oh, the Twilight Zone delivers over and over again with "everyone's favorite", Time Enough, At Last;

All Burgess Meredith wants to do is read. Nobody can understand his compulsion to want to read. Mmmm...maybe he wants to escape his nagging wife, his dimwitted boss, his small-minded fellow employees. So he goes into the bank vault on his lunch break to read his books, when he comes out, a disaster has happened...or has it?

The world has been hit by a nuclear bomb and the only one remaining is Burgess Meredith. Finally, he has all the time in the world to read his books. He reaches over for one of his books and he drops his glasses and they crack. Oh, man...it was sad then and it is sad now just writing it. Irony: it's a twisted thing.

This is a beautiful collection and everyone Twilight Zone fan should own it. Yeah, something "even better" will probably come out later on, production companies tend to do this to make another buck, but I am very happy with this collection. You also get a little documentary on Rod serling, himself. The guy was a genius. He passed away in 1975 and television has never been the same since.

It's not that "they" can't make shows like this, anymore, it's that they won't. And as much as I am a fan of Lost, sometimes I feel that even the writers of the show don't exactly know where they are going with it...

"Let me take one more hit, dude, and then I'll write this week's show.....uhhh...what show am I writing for again?"

But with the Twilight Zone, you always knew you were headed for something creepy, something strange, something to bring you back into touch with the sweet, strange mysteries of life itself...

Peace & Blessings

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 24, 2009 8:09:34 AM PDT
M. MESSINA says:
LOL - right on the money re both TZ AND Lost!

Posted on Sep 13, 2010 9:45:50 PM PDT
YO says:
i hear you i got this and man i can re watch the Christmas episode where the man gets the bag over and over not sure why but it gives me such a great feeling.

Posted on Nov 26, 2010 2:38:58 PM PST
Gma Di says:
Love, love your review. I could hear Rod Serling's voice as I read the first paragraph. (in fact...I was reading it outloud)! Just purchased and can't wait go back in time to some of the best television. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 5:33:13 AM PDT
Lindsay Mays says:
excellent review! i grew up on the twilite zone and just like you, always loved the new year's and thanksgiving day marathons and would watch with my whole family! me and my brother and sister's favorite episode as kids was "talking tina". actually, its still one of my favorites. anyways, i agree that they dont make shows like this anymore and haven't in years. even though i wasnt born until 1979, i have always been into retro/vintage pop culture (particularly 60s and 70s) because it seems the best of EVERYTHING came from that time period-the best music, the best cars, the best movies, the best tv shows ect and twilite zone is no exception. one of the things that i love about the TZ is that just like you said, alot of the episodes actually make you THINK! like the one where all the people and doctors have pig faces but the one really beautiful woman was considered ugly. at the end rod serling says "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and it really makes you realize that beauty IS in the eye of the beholder and makes you wonder how things would be if there really was a world where things were like that, where ugly was pretty and pretty was ugly. another episode that makes me think is "the bewitchin pool". at the end, rod talks about how a lonely kid can make up a place in their mind like the place the 2 kids went to to get away from their fighting parents. there were quite a few TZ episodes that made me think about just life in general. its such a phenominal show. im going to order it and put it in my case next to all my other great old shows, i love lucy, the brady bunch, the munsters, gilligan's island and i dream of jeannie.

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 10:41:01 AM PDT
Dude, you are AWESOME!!!! Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm 41 yrs old, been a die-hard "fan" of TZ for some 20 yrs now, and even then I was saying, this stuff is happening NOW!! Sure, it was "science-fiction", yet there seems 2 be not too much fiction about any of 'em, except for a minor few, like some of the funnier episodes, one of my favorites being Mind over Matter, Archibald Beachcroft III - he's me!!! I actually find some dialogue to be important, that is, it can leave a lasting impression like in A Game of Pool, where Jonathan Winters says "you never make the great at anything by playing it safe". So true. I wish people would get a grip and see that these stupid machines, TVs and such, can show you programs that'll make u think, not just for a moment, but for a lifetime, about issues such as the holocost, hate, regret, all the negatives we carry around with us, sometimes, for those among us that need a "twilight-type" reminder, 23 minutes can actually change a thought pattern. Call me crazy, most do, but I just wish Rod were still around, damn cigarettes, he could have brought world peace!! Hee hee hee. Thanks for that awesome review!!

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 10:01:41 PM PST
noemad says:
Nice way to open a review, with that provocative "hook." I thought you were going to write a short-short story, but was simply a beautiful segue into a heartfelt, entertaining review. Why can't Amazon have more reviewers like you?
I just ought the 1/1/12 Amazon Blu-ray bundle of all 5 seasons of TZ ($152.99!), and after reading your review, I am absolved of all guilt for giving myself a belated x-mas gift! Happy new year brother, and thank you.

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 11:52:45 AM PST
Hotmuscleman says:
Fantastic review Mr. Morgan. I am a huge twilight zone fans too and your right on the money. the series was excellent and made you think. What a great mind Rod serling had to do classics like "the eye of the beholder" "mannequin" "monsters on maple street" " game of pool" etc. As you said many of these episodes talk about human life lessons we should learn from. Hopefully they will teach some people about the rights and wrongs in their own lives. I have collected many of my favorite ones. Great review sir and thanks.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 9:44:39 AM PST
Kort says:
Excellent review and commentary John. I couldn't agree more.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 7:07:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 7:09:08 AM PST
I agree all the way when it comes to Rod and his unhealthy relationship with cigarettes. Like with Humphrey Bogart, I wish I could reach in and snatch every "butt" out of their hands!

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 10:06:57 AM PST
Please edit your review to remove the spoilers. Don't assume everyone has already viewed every episode.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›