Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

1.0 out of 5 stars Return home my rear end!, April 24, 2014
UPDATE: Well I DID love this drone and really loved the so called GPS return home feature except it DID NOT WORK! After owning this drone only a couple of weeks we were flying it this afternoon to take some arial shots and before I knew it I was helplessly watching my beloved Phantom fly away! Nothing I did brought it back. We searched for hours looking for it till 10pm with no success.
Be warned: This so called return home feature may not be all that it appears. All I have left is the remote. I did register the drone so my hope is that somebody will find it and contact me but at this point I think it's gone for good.

FIRST REVIEW: If you want a drone of any kind at all, this is the one. Top quality build and materials and so easy to fly due to the GPS. The camera can be a bit confusing and it would be nice if the WIFI had a longer range but it really is a nice drone. The kids and myself fly it about every other day. Good price also. Highly recommended!!!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 26, 2014 7:38:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2014 11:42:09 PM PDT
Myk D says:
Well, thats put me off this idea. All that money to just flyaway! I hope yours comes back, but I wont be buying one. A huge amount of people have had this happen, and are looking at a class lawsuit against DJI

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2014 7:00:04 AM PDT
Glad I could help. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice drone but way too expensive to have it just fly off like that. I am going to pick up another one only this time I am attaching a separate GPS tracker so if it does happen again, I can find it using my phone to obtain it's exact location. I would HIGHLY recommend anyone who does purchase one of these, also purchase a GPS tracker.

I would recommend this one:
Real Time Portable Mini GMS/GPS/GPRS Tracker

It is cheap and does the trick. I have seen a ton of YouTube videos of people using this unit. Just make sure to read all the directions and that you fully understand how to use it and it will at least guarantee finding your drone if or should I say when it does a "fly off".

It is very disappointing that they do not provide something like this with the Drone as an option considering all the other technology that the drone has. Also the nice thing about using an external separate GPS tracker is that it has it's own power supply. So even if the drones battery gets disconnected or dies, the GPS will still function.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2014 6:38:54 AM PDT
cory says:
I think most of the sories are user error

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2014 6:41:27 AM PDT
cory says:
I went in to the software settings, watched the videos, and I accidently had one of the toggles flipped wrong when i calibrated my first flight and it could have went bad but it didn't. I learned what I was doing wrong and haven't and haven't had any problems since. The tracking idea is a good idea.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2014 2:38:43 PM PDT
Well you would be wrong. Bought a replacement and the return home works perfectly AND after 4 days we found the other one which still works and guess what... Test after test of the return home failed. Always goes west no matter what and yes we did the setup for the compass. Point - Defective.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 3:36:31 PM PDT
JIBARO says:
First - Thank you for the post. Would the phantom have the power to carry an added GPS tracker like the one recommended?

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2014 9:21:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2014 9:30:51 AM PDT
You are most welcome. Depending on the GPS you purchase, yes. I am using this one...
Real Time Portable Mini GMS/GPS/GPRS Tracker

I have used velcro to attach it right behind the camera on the belly. That specific GPS unit can be a bit tricky to setup, but once done it works flawlessly. It does require a SIM card so you can either purchase a go phone and get minutes or if you have an extra non-used line like we did on our family plan, you can use that.

The Phantom has no issue at all with the weight or signals from the GPS unit. In fact, my flight time has not been diminished in any way.

The GPS is EXTREMELY light and comes with 2 back covers.
One has 4 magnets which I HIGHLY recommend NOT using as that is more for cars and such, and then there is a regular back which is what I use.

I gave the Phantom that was lost and then found to my son who also purchased this GPS unit for his and it works perfectly for him as well which is a good thing since the stupid thing refuses to use the home lock and will go west anytime you try the return to home.

We have also conducted some tests with the GPS unit on the Phantom, such as landing in areas with tall buildings and/or lots of trees. So far it has worked every time.

All you do is from your cell phone which you authorize on the GPS unit during setup, is call the GPS SIM number. Wait for it to hit voice mail, then within a minute not only does the GPS send back a text with the exact coordinates but even tells you the speed that it is moving. The coordinates are clickable so it takes you right into Google Maps.

I can tell you this much, I will never fly without it. Well worth the $40.00 investment. To me, I would think this is something they would build into the Phantom and who knows, maybe a future version will have it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2014 9:32:56 AM PDT
JIBARO says:
Thank you Larry - do you have any youtube videos where you put out some more of this type of info? Much appreciated. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2014 9:36:59 AM PDT
I do not, however that is not a bad idea. I will see if I can get something setup later today and start to post some videos to it.

Glad I could help!

Posted on May 20, 2014 8:30:29 AM PDT
Well this one which was going to be for my other son never made it to our door. Not sure if they delivered it to the wrong house or what. Asked a few of my neighbors but no luck. Luckily the hobby shop a city over has these so now he has his as well. Amazon did take care of the missing one from delivery so A+ for customer service.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›