5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent mouse, but also consider the VX Nano, September 10, 2009
This review is from: Logitech Wireless Anywhere Mouse MX (Old Version) (Personal Computers)
This is a great mouse. One of the best ones I have ever used. Some of the features I really like:
- The (newer) nano receiver, which can stay on the laptop at all times.
- The wireless just works. No pairing issues, no long initial wait when turning on.
- The "anywhere" part which is true! This mouse works on absolutely anything.
- All the buttons you need on a small mouse
- The great dual-mode scroll wheel for step-by-step scrolling or fast flowing scrolling.
- Good ergonomic despite the small size.
- Easy on/off switch at the bottom, which doubles as a protection flap for the sensor.
- Nice pouch.

All of this said, I am instead using a Logitech VX Nano Cordless Laser Mouse for Notebooks (Black).
I don't think one is clearly better than the other. Choosing one vs. the other is a question of personal preference and priorities.

Here are the main differences:
- The VX Nano is quite a bit lighter (by 30-40%) and it makes a noticeable difference. The Anywhere MX is a bit heavier to begin with, but more importantly, it uses AA batteries vs. AAA for the VX Nano. Note that despite the larger batteries (about 2x capacity), The SetPoint software is predicting ~100 days for the Anywhere's AA and ~150 for the VX' AAA, so I guess the new "dark field" laser uses 2-3x more power. I thought of using AA-AAA adapters to keep the weight difference down, but that would drop the battery life to <2 months. For me, that was the biggest deciding factor with the next bullet. UPDATE: I have since discovered that the Anywhere MX can work with a single AA battery, which IMHO keeps the weight more reasonable.
- The VX Nano is quite a bit cheaper. Now that it's not the "best" Logitech laptop mouse, its price has dropped quite a bit. While the Anywhere MX price is pegged close to MSRP, the VX Nano's price is oscillating up to 40% cheaper than the Anywhere MX. That's a big difference.
- The Anywhere MX can be used on any surface. In comparison, the VX Nano can only be used on most surfaces. It's still extremely competent and works on fabric, many shiny surfaces... anything you'll normally find in a home or an office, and is much better than old red LED-based mice. It does not, however, work on transparent surfaces. If that's important, then the Anywhere MX is the only option.
- The VX Nano has the back/forward buttons on the top vs the Anywhere MX on the side for the more traditional thumb access. Advantage Anywhere MX here. Those top buttons on the VX Nano are not great and I think that was one of the main complaints. I am glad Logitech listened.
- The on/off button on the Anywhere MX is easier to use (flap to slide vs. hold for 3 seconds).
- Both mice get a pouch. The VX Nano has a mesh pouch that's a bit baggy. The Anywhere MX has a tight smooth pouch. It's a near tie.
- The VX Nano comes with a USB extension with holder to use with a desktop. The Anywhere MX doesn't. Not a big deal IMHO.
- The Anywhere MX has the new Nano receiver that can support several devices. The VX Nano has the "old" one. They are the same size though and behave identically with a single device. In particular, there is no pairing and initial latency issues as seen on Bluetooth devices.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 30, 2009 8:14:31 AM PDT
Thanks, this was really helpful, as I am deciding between the MX Anywhere and the VX Nano.

If you have a minute, I'd be grateful if you could tell me whether the Anywhere is bigger than the VX Nano. I have larger than average hands, and most notebook mice are a bit on the small side for me. The MX Anywhere appears to be a little bigger from the pictures Amazon has posted, yet it's hard to tell since there is no picture showing both of them side by side.

If the Anywhere was a little bigger, that would push me toward choosing it over the Nano, just for comfort.

In any case, thanks for taking the time to write a great review!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2009 8:47:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2009 8:48:03 AM PDT
Techno Geek says:
The Anywhere MX looks bigger (and I have seen at least one review saying that it is bigger), but it is not. I had both at the same time, and (much to my surprise), the Anywhere MX is actually the exact same shape and dimensions as the VX Nano except for the back/forward buttons (there is a tiny bulge on the Anywhere MX to make the buttons more prominent in their new location).

However, I must say that, while these are small mice, I came to the conclusion that it wasn't an actual problem for me. I am pretty tall with big hands. On these small mice, no other part of my hand than the fingers touch the mouse. But after trying all my standard-size desktop mice, I realized that they are no different - I would need a larger shaped mouse to get any support. Based on this, I have retired my desktop mice and use these instead.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2009 10:14:37 AM PDT
Thanks! I really appreciate your speedy reply. Your review and reply will help me (and others, I'm sure) make a wiser purchase decision.

Posted on Nov 17, 2009 12:34:57 PM PST
P. Dixon says:
Nice review, but I have some questions if you wouldn't mind:
- your 2nd point mentions price being a big advantage, but the Anywhere MX is now only $8.50 more than the VX Nano. That seems like a small price to pay for the "works anywhere" ability (my desktop is glass).
- in your opinion would either mouse work well as a gaming mouse on a FPS?

thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2009 8:48:32 PM PST
Techno Geek says:
The current price is very close to the VX Nano's, so it's a much better deal. When I wrote this review, the Anywhere MX was just out and it was at stuck at MSRP everywhere, so the price difference was much larger.

As far as FPS usage, I play WoW with the mouse and it works well. I am not a serious gamer, so I can't really compare it with the high-update rate mice. I have never had connection or lag issues. The only thing is that I seem to go through about one AA battery a month, and I am sure that playing WoW has something to do with it :-) I just switched to rechargeables.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2009 2:19:43 PM PST
Thanks for the review. I know you basically answered this, but hopefully you don't mind offering an opinion again. The VX Nano is about $40 after rebate now. The Anywhere MX is about $50 with rebate. Price is no concern for me, I just want the better mouse. I've used the VX and really like it, so that would be my choice for feel and all that. Without knowing anymore details than what you wrote, I just really want the VX because I know I like it. Which would you say? I plan to use the mouse on fabric couch cushions, as well as other places. The VX can do that, right?

Also, when you click down the scroll button, I know it changes the scroll feel on the VX. What I can't remember is if when you click it, it can act like a button. I ask because I open and close tabs in Firefox using an older mouse's 3rd button scroll wheel, the traditional way, not to change how the wheel scrolls. I also use the middle button to bring up my sights in an FPS game. I need that functionality. Does the VX's and or MX's click of the scroll wheel still act as a button?

Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2009 9:24:31 PM PST
Techno Geek says:
The two mice are really quite similar, and now even the prices are similar. Fabric should be no issue with either mouse. I actually found the VX Nano to work on nearly all the surfaces the Anywhere MX runs on. Even transparent plastic. Only shiny glass can spook the VX Nano out...

The operation of the scroll wheel is similar in both model. Clicking on it mechanically controls the scrolling mode (steps or infinite). It cannot be used as a third button. However, there is yet another small button just before the weel, which is somewhat more inconveniently placed, but which can be programmed as a middle button (by default it launches some kind of app switcher - funnily enough different version for the VX Nano and the Anywhere MX, even with the same software installed and you can't program one to the other's..).

So no clear answer for you. The forward/back buttons are on the side (thumb) on the Anywhere MX vs. top (index finger) on the VX Nano. The Anywhere MX has bigger batteries but can use just one (and I believe that its power consumption is higher). The wireless just works on both. Maybe the Unifying receiver of the Anywhere MX is a useful option if you also end upwith a wireless keyboard?

BTW, I have now switched to the Anywhere MX :-) No strong reason.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2009 1:21:53 PM PST
Thanks for the additional info. Yeah, it's a hard choice for me only because I used the VX so much and liked it, and I really just want to get that. However, since I am looking to get a wireless keyboard at some point for my netbook being displayed on the TV, I guess I'll go with the MX.

Posted on Nov 25, 2009 10:45:35 PM PST
K. Chao says:
I had 2 Logitech revolution mice (like MX w/ more buttons - 2 more than this MX nano); I like more buttons. I also loved the new nano receiver to make my notebook usage easier. I decided to get the VX550 (w/ 2 fewer button than this MX nano) since they are on sale w/ rebate at neweggs.com ($29.99-$10 MR pre-Thanksgiving sale). My wife loves it, too. Today, newegges.com started Thanksgiving sale early and has it for ($19.99-10 MR). I bought another one today for my wife. V550 has 1 more button than other nano receiver mouse (including a generic brand on-sale for $15-$5 MR at Frys). Nano receiver will become more popular. I will keep my revolution mouse for my longer time usage but keep this V550 nano for traveling.

Posted on Jan 11, 2010 6:50:13 AM PST
I started to use this mice 2 weeks ago and already I have to replace the batteries. When I replace battery it says remaining 100 days but lasts only two weeks. Just terrible, I'll not use it anymore.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›