3.0 out of 5 stars It's a decent printer just cheaply made, August 23, 2012
This review is from: Epson Expression Home XP-400 Wireless All-in-One Color Inkjet Printer, Copier, Scanner. Prints from Tablet/Smartphone. AirPrint Compatible (C11CC07201) (Office Product)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using the cheaper Canon PIXMA MG3120 Wireless Inkjet Photo All-In-One (5289B019) which I bought at Walmart on sale. This one compared to the Canon, although they have the same features seemed to be the better buy from my using experience so far.

It was easy to set it up my my MacBook Pro using the wireless features. No problems at all. I am using Mac OS X Version 10.6.8 and set up was a breeze. My Canon although I've set it up numerous times, my computers still has issues connecting and printing to it. This one I had no problems connecting to all 3 computers, 2 Macs and 1 Windows 7. The ink is also much cheaper than the Canon. The initial ink that is sent with the computer I'm not sure how long it will last but I've done quite a bit of printing and it's still going. There is 4 ink cartridges to be replaced when it's time to replace them, but the Canon prints a lot better in my opinion when it does connect.

I still gave it 3 stars because of the stability of the product. It seems cheaply made, that if any pressure is placed on anything it will break easily so you have to be careful. The touch pad feels the same way as well. There is also no bottom tray feeder so all paper has to be top loaded. The printer quality is also not top notch but is perfect for the kids school reports etc. Picture quality isn't that great either so you may want to continue paying to get your pictures printed somewhere else. Scanning and copying is a breeze.

Edit: I must mention that it does not have automatic duplex printing. You'll have to do it manually.

Wish I could have given it at least 4 stars but for the price I expected something better built.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 26, 2012 6:01:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 26, 2012 6:01:58 AM PDT
Nice and very useful review. I suspect that the cheaper print cartridges will result in less pages. TANSTAAFL. It's the per page cost that's the important statistic. You can get some industry per page data at 4inkjets.com (I'm not affiliated whatsoever). Printing photos also ups your costs if you buy expensive photo paper. Though, using more expensive paper with the DURAbright ink produces some surprisingly nice quality prints. Anyway, I like reviews like yours which seem more personal and real world than the typical regurgitations. Keep up the good work!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2012 4:00:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 30, 2012 4:01:23 PM PDT
A. John says:
Thank you for your kind words. I do try and write fair reviews since I know a lot of people don't trust us "viners" since we get to try the product for free, so I try to be fair as possible. Just because it was a free product doesn't mean that it deserves 5 stars. Thanks once again.

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 8:59:03 PM PDT
JayBee says:
Does this printer have Duplex print capability (prints 2-sided). I don't mind it does not have 2-sided for SCAN and COPY, but for print at least it should support duplex printing.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 6:22:23 AM PDT
A. John says:
Unfortunately it doesn't. You have to do it manually. I forgot to mention that. Thanks for asking.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 1:25:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2012 1:28:33 PM PDT
Rod Enns says:
Thanks for your review. In my current shopping I've been kinda set on HP but the ones that I'm leaning toward (DeskJet 3520, Photosmart 5515) don't get good reviews regarding paper jams from the sheet feeder.
So now that you've had this printer for a month or more, have you still been using it and would you say that it is performing as expected?
I don't need a lot of features, but I do need a scanner for medical receipts and I want simple printing reliability. (maybe 1 picture every month or two)

I guess one of my bigger questions would be - will this printer keep printing in black even when there's a color cartridge that dried up?
My previous Epson shut me down once any one of the cartridges was empty or dried up.
Thanks for the review on ink pricing - i.e. Epson being cheaper than Canon. Because I think that ink usage was one thing that older Epsons were rated poorly for. Perhaps they have increased their efficiency. (I've learned that these printers have pretty good quality even when printing in "Draft" mode.)

Another question. Some reviews talk about high output printing. In your opinion, what would constitute high output? We average 15 pages per week (mostly black text) with a very rare occasion of 15-20 pages in one sitting so I don't think that we would approach that.

How is the noise level? I work on music after I tuck my wife into bed or early in the morning. (The printer is a couple of rooms over from the bedroom.)

Sorry, a lot of questions.
thanks,

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 4:59:55 PM PDT
JayBee says:
Hi, I was on this same task of researching a printer for home (mostly for everyday regular use printer that is most economical (especially on ink) and not necessarily for highly-professional quality photo-prints since 98% of the usage is for home use). After many weeks of research and weighing in, I bought the Epson Workforce 645 ($99). I highly recommend it. The best overall (wireless, wired, duplex printing, supposedly ink-efficient, even has auto-doc-feeder (ADF) for scans/copies thought that was not a must-have for me but doesn't hurt! The model 545 which costs $10 less is pretty much similar but only no ADF). The only (minor) nit I have now (realized only later) is that it has only 1 paper-feed which is through the tray at the bottom. No alternate (manual) feeder which sometimes is nice-to-have, but not a deal breaker.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 10:01:47 AM PDT
A. John says:
@Ron those are great questions and I may just input them into my review. So far we've been using the printer for mostly the kids school papers, homework etc (so it's mostly black) and I've had to replace the ink only once in the 3 months since we've had it. The color is still going. It still prints but it lets me know that the black is done. So to that question, yes it still does print even when the ink is dried up but I can't really tell if it will if the color ink is done. I'm assuming it will. I have bought a black ink but refuse to put it into the printer until it totally stops printing.

I couldn't tell you exactly what they mean by high input. We do as much as you do and it is still going strong. The noise level isn't too bad and you'll be safe printing while your wife is in bed. Unless your printer is right next to your bed you have nothing to worry about.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 7:53:42 AM PST
Gus Schick says:
Does the copy mode have the ability to enlarge or shrink originals?

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 8:31:54 PM PST
I guess I'm curious how someone would pay a meager price of $69.99 for a printer to rate it 3 stars and have nearly all positive things to say about it. Can you enlighten me. I guess I would compare it to someone saying that a particle board underlay on a peice of furniture does not feel as solid as solid wood when they knew that going in. No negativity here....just curiousity. Can it be that bad to rate it average in its price range? if so can you provide a substitute at $69?

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 9:19:41 AM PST
Thanks for your thorough review. My hubby and I have just moved on a boat full time, and we need the smallest printer/scanner/copier we can find. The one you mention sounds like it might be a feasible size and price for us. It will be stored most of the time, but we'll pull it out for those times we need it, which will be for paperwok only. I was a little concerned about it being cheaply made, but I suppose I can make some kind of soft "pouch" for it to live in while we're sailing. Thanks for the info on it.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›