5.0 out of 5 stars A Fresh, New, and Fun Challenge. Futuristic Military Shooter!, May 22, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
The game requires 6.5gigs of hard drive space, there is a very small update already, it is PS Move (gunsmith use only) and 3D compatible, an it requires a Uplay account and passport code to play online (which is included).

I've always been a fan of the Ghost Recon games because of the third person military action as well as the strong stealth aspect of the game play. I have been waiting for some time now to get my hands on Future Soldier as I waited through all of the release-date push backs and delays. I must say it is an amazing game. The graphics are phenomenal, the control is tight and the over-all game play is very realistic and entertaining. Sync Shot is a really cool feature where you tag multiple enemies and your team takes all of them out instantly. I think I am more into being alone in the game, however working as a team greatly has its advantages in Future Soldier. The game is very well put together and I can tell a lot of time went into the menu, weapon and inventory system.

PROS
+ Well detailed graphics, very realistic and natural looking. The scenes and maps are very well laid out.
+ Perfectly crafted control and weapon system. Creating your own weapon is a blast.
+ The game is fast, controls are very well responsive and not sluggish at all. It is a smooth running game, no glitching or lagging.
+ Music, voice-acting and sounds effects are very well produced. I was blown away by the clarity and the level on my surround speakers.
+ Weapons are fully customizable and gadgets are very helpful. Camouflage is very cool.
+ Multiplayer is incredibly fun when you have the right teammates.

CONS
- Some of the cut scenes and the character models seem dated and less detailed than the actual game play.
- There is no slit-screen (couch) co-op in the game. All co-op is online.
- Like in past Ghost Recon games the area is limited and you are warned when you are leaving the area. It gives the appearance of a larger area, yet it still is quite linear.
- In combat your progression options are sometimes limited and you must stick with your team.
- There are a few small clipping issues like floating objects or your characters arms not linking around an enemies neck when doing a stealth kill, very minor though.
- In the snow levels you cannot see your footprints in the snow. Also when you are invisable you can still see your shadow, which you think the enemy would see.

Multiplayer is a huge amount of fun and quite a challenge, but it is a must to have good teammates. It makes it difficult when your teammates just shoot everything. When you get hit you can spawn back to a standard location or to a teammate. It is very fast paced and cover is the key. Cover is also important in single player, however with it is a necessity in multiplayer.

This may be the first time I have ever said this, but I enjoy the multiplayer much more than the single player. The single player is great and it is a very solid game, however the multiplayer is just so much fun.

I like having the option to play how I want to play in the single player campaign. Ghost Recon Future Soldier gives you a large area to work your way though, you could either go in guns blazing or you could take your time and sneak in and stealth take down your enemies. I have played one area over and over again until I am happy with the way it went down. It is very well put together and the maps are well designed and laid out. If you stealth sneak into an area and are seen, you will alert many more enemies than if you were quiet and careful and were not seen. It is a lot of fun and quite an enjoyable challenge.

The fictional futuristic style gadgets are very cool and as you progress through the game you get more and more, however you don't always have all of them for every level, it depends on the mission. The gadgets give you a heads up on the enemies and sometimes makes the game too easy, however using the gadgets in different ways and in different areas really mixes the game up and keeps it interesting.

Over-all Ghost Recon Future Soldier has met what I was expecting out of the game. I am very happy with it and I highly recommend this for gamers who want a smart military shooter. Future Soldier is not for gamers who are expecting another cookie cutter Call of Duty game. This game is smart and realistic in that you need to plain your missions and attacks and take your time. It is a stealth shooter which requires you to think. The movement and sliding from cover to cover is very fast and the controls come very naturally. Highly addicting game.

Game on!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 23, 2012 10:51:42 AM PDT
Greg says:
Great review thank you for posting it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 10:52:25 AM PDT
Thank you!

You're very welcome.

Posted on May 23, 2012 2:04:04 PM PDT
Anarchy 99 says:
paper tiger, you are quickly becoming one of my favorite reviewers. Once again, good job.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 2:19:19 PM PDT
Thank you very much.

My work told me I need to use some of my vacation time because I have so much built up, so my new thing to do is take off on a Tuesday that a new game comes out. I play all day and write a review. I've been enjoying it.

Thanks again and I'm glad my review is helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 11:37:48 AM PDT
Greg says:
Have you finished the campaign yet?
If so how was the length?
I'm old school,I like a long challenging campaign.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 11:44:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2012 12:53:11 PM PDT
paper tiger says:
The game states a 12 hour storyline, but I feel it depends on your game play style. I have actually played levels over again to see if I can do better or quieter than the first time. You also can spend some time designing weapons. I am working my way through it, but I personally hope for 10-15 hours.

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 10:51:16 PM PDT
Justin Chia says:
How do you get it to work on Playstation Move? What about 3D? I don't see both of them work on my Playstation.

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 11:17:52 PM PDT
Justin Chia says:
Playstation Move only works in Gunsmith, NOT in the actual game. If anyone of you think you can enjoy firing away the AI on the game with Playstation Move, forget it. 3D still doesn't work on this game.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 4:02:35 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
I made an updated to my review and I honestly had not tried Move or 3D, even though I have the capabilities for both. I knew the Move was only usable in Gunsmith mode, but I will give 3D a try and see what's going on. My review simply stated what is on the cover, that it is Move and 3D capable.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 9:38:56 PM PDT
Edwin says:
Paper - thanks for the detailed review. Do you get to upgrade your team's skills like in early Tom Clancy Ghost?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›