Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

5.0 out of 5 stars Still another mega set of already great stuff, August 4, 2008
This review is from: Agatha Christie's Poirot: The Definitive Collection (DVD)
Well for the benefit of the woman who asked me to explain the difference in the Poirot collections back when the Acorn sets of the "original series" came out, now she and others who waited can complete their collection and save space at the same time. This indeed is all 12 feature length episodes released to date that were shown here on A&E. For those of you bought them like me in either the smaller sets of 4 and/or individuals, their is nothing new here, but at least this set like the 2 Acorn sets (1 of the hour length shows, the other of the 2 hour ones both of which aired "here" on PBS and A&E later on) will take up less space on your shelf. Since nothing new was added, I will be content with what I have, if by now 7 years after they started you have not gotten any of the A&E ONLY aired stories now is your chance to get them all together. 12 for less than $100 is most definitely a bargain.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 18, 2008 9:03:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 18, 2008 6:09:01 PM PDT
Rose says:
I was the person who asked that question some months ago. I had not gotten around to ordering the previously existing sets and imagining they would soon go out of stock by the time I was ready. Now with the affordable Definitive Collection, there is absolutely no reason not to complete my own collection right away.

Thank you so much for alerting all us Poirot fans -- this is great news.

p.s.: Mr Pregosin, for the Poirot full-length feature due next in 2008-- "Murder on the Orient Express", are there any others left??

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2008 7:10:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2009 2:48:43 PM PDT
Hi Rich and Rose. Nice to hear from you guys again. No need to be formal, it was "Eric" earlier this year and it still is. According to what I read (I have to find the set) there are 4 stories due out with the Orient Express being one of them. I will google the site and get the other titles and get back to you. By the way, over the years I have gotten the Helen Hayes/Peter Ustinov set of Marples and Poirots. I also have the Anchor Bay set of 2 Poirots with Ustinov and Angela Lansbury as Marple. You may find these interesting. To complete the Ustinov Collections however, you will need MGM video's release of Appointment With Death. Sadly, it was only released in England, but if you have a multi region player, then so much the better. PS: If you do get Appointment with Death, get it from the UK store rather than American Marketplace Clients. After conversion, I still paid less than 15 bucks for it from England while the best deal from an American Seller is over 20. I'll get back to you shortly on the other new Suchets.

UPDATE: Hi again. According to the site I mentioned above, there were supposed to be 4 new Suchets this year. Orient Express, Cat Among The Pigeons, Mrs McGinty's Dead and you guessed it Appointment With Death. What hapened to them, God knows, but maybe he is still working on them. Anyway the remake of Appointment with Death will have Suchet in 4 out of the 6 Ustinov did (the only 2 he hasn't being Dead Man's Folly and Murder In Three Acts) and make the 3rd rendition of Orient Express. The made for TV one made in 2001 taking place contemporarily was poor to say the least (Poirot gets a clue from the Internet of all places). That is one thing I have appreciated about Suchet's Poirot, Hickson's Marple and Brett's Holmes. They may have taken liberties from the actual stories, but they kept them in the period they took place when written. Have a nice day, guys. Oh, I just looked at my Amazon buddy list, Many Happy Returns, Rose :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2008 3:02:35 PM PST
K. Graham says:
I have just received the Poirot Definitive Collection, and I've viewed two discs so far. Is anyone else that has viewed this collection noticed there are "jumps" and "pauses" on the DVD? I'm a novice on DVD's, so I don't know if it is the poor quality of the A&E-produced DVD's, or if it is a problem with my new DVD player. I have only played new DVD's or DVD's I borrowed from a family member who is VERY particular about keeping the DVD's in top-notch condition. HELP!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2009 2:27:25 PM PST
I have these discs in their original sets and they don't jump. Maybe you got a batch that need cleaning or a skip doctor treatment. Or as you say it could be your player.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2009 5:23:09 PM PST
New message to Rose. I just ordered the new set from England for like $30 after conversion. Orient Express is not in it, but it sounds like a good set. If you have a multi region player, I'd say go get it now, the price when it gets released here I am sure will be higher.

Posted on Mar 9, 2009 2:00:16 PM PDT
would have helped if the review had listed the titles of episodes included in the set. thanks

Posted on Mar 30, 2009 12:44:44 PM PDT
J. Watkins says:
To Eric Pregosin:
I believe that Murder in 3 Acts was done by Suchet as Lord Edgeware Dies.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2009 2:46:58 PM PDT
Negative Mr./Ms. Watkins, Lord Edgware is actually Thirteen at Dinner one of six films (3 for tv, 3 for big screen) done by Peter Ustinov in the 80s. Interestingly enough Suchet appears in that version as Japp. FYI, Ustinov also did a Murder in Three Acts.

Posted on Apr 21, 2009 8:44:56 PM PDT
spygal2662 says:
I have no Poirot videos but am looking to start my collection. Should I get the Acorn Classic Collection to start with or should I stick with A&E? Could you list for me the collections I should get? How is the quality? Thank you so much!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2009 12:01:53 PM PDT
Spygal, the Acorn Classic Collections are the shows that aired on London Weekend Television there and then PBS here with reruns on A&E. Classic Collection 1 are the 26 hour long ones in this series, Classic Collection 2 are the 2 hour ones. Both sets are also being reissued in sets of 3 in colored boxes. All the A&E's were 2 hour between 2001 and 2005. There is also a new set in a colored box by Acorn featuring 2 of 4 new feature lengths made in 2008. Where you start is your choice, but that is the chronological break down.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›