2.0 out of 5 stars Changed from a 5 star to a 2 star. FOR 37" & 47" ONLY, May 6, 2012
This review is from: VIZIO M370SL 37-Inch Edge Lit Razor LED LCD HDTV with VIZIO Internet Apps (Black) (Electronics)
Read the bottom for the final update that changed the review from 5 stars to 2.

So let me first start off by saying this. Never, never buy a flat screen tv online. They usually do not have the same warranties that in stores do. I usually always buy off Amazon and other online avenues, but I know tv's like these can bite the dust at anytime. I bought mine at Costco because this tv comes with a 2 year warranty and with a 3 year additional warranty for just $30. So I ended up buying this tv for less and have a 5 year warranty. These warranties usually apply at most warehouse and department stores.

Now, on to the actual tv review. I've had this tv for a couple weeks and I have been very pleased. The Neflix app is amazing and comes in HD (1080) (which I note because if you are currently using your Playstation (720) or Wii (480) this does not appear in HD). The menus and functionality are awesome too. Oh, and the sound is great too. The sound really packs a punch for such a razor thin tv. Paired with the the HD package I have with my cable company this is just pure heaven while watching tv. I'm giving this a very fair 5 out of 5 because it deserves it.

Again, I do recommend this TV whole heartedly, but please be smart and buy any TV at a reputable vendor that offers a really good warranty. These newer TV's are great but they are notorious for biting the dust. Amazon may be the cheapest but their warranties don't go far. Save yourself the heartbreak later and buy the warranty, and make sure the warranty is backed by a good retailer.

Warranty + This particular TV = Awesome Sauce

*******UPDATE*******

So I actually was so impressed with my 370sl (37") model that I actually talked my wife into letting me buy the 470sl model (47"). Both models are superb. The picture is amazing and the apps are awesome. Plus both these models are very affordable (I bought both at Costco due to their awesome warranties and return policies) I fully recommend both these models. Oh and by the way, no I am not a fake review by some ad agency. I too hate it when bogus reviews falsely praise crappy products, but you can rest assured that these two tvs (370sl and 470sl) completely are legit. Just in case though, always check reviewers by their past reviews. Hope this helps anyone. Cheers!

******FINAL Update****
Sadly after buying both the 370sl and 470sl models both had a flaw that made me cringe. Both the models volume controls crap the bed. I loved both these tv's because they had the very best picture available in my opinion. My 37" volume started going up and down during programs, mainly during apps like Netflix. Then it started happening to the other one. Then it started happening while watching cable. I did some research and found out that it is kind of common with these models. I'm really bummed because I thought these tv's were amazing. After working with Vizio on the phone with a firmware update they said they could send someone out. I declined due to the fact that I had already read 3 reviews where this had been a problem and even the techs were unable to fix it. I decided that maybe these were a bad omen of things to come. I returned both tv's and bought a higher priced Samsung. After making the switch I now know why Samsung has a higher price tag. Samsung far surpasses Vizio in every way, except apps. The apps on Vizio can't be beat. Vizio's interface is ultra fast processing apps. I'd say the apps are Vizio's best selling point. I don't want to get into comparisons between Samsung and Vizio, because I don't feel people read these reviews to hear about other products. Also, I think Vizio is a great company and I don't want to bash on them. Sometimes these things happen. In my case it happened twice.

In conclusion, I would do some research on these models. I found that this specific model has had the same problems with fluctuating volumes. The rep at Costco also said that I was not the first person to return these model tv's with the same problem. I hope anyone that buys this has better luck than I did. I love Vizio. I have owned 4, not including these and been extremely happy. Anyways, hope you can see how things started great with these tv's but soon went down hill. Oh well, I'm happy with my Samsung.......for now. I'm giving this tv 2 stars and not one because it is unfortunate that such a great tv, with great apps and picture quality, had to have such a flaw. Anyone else run into this?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 76 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 14, 2012 10:17:01 PM PDT
pdp323 says:
In response to this consumer when buying a LED+LCD HDTV there are three things to decide upon.. 1. price 2. warranty 3. quality Now just like any product and service make sure that you are dealing with a reputable manufacture/service dept....The warranty covers all p/L...And iron clad with no loopholes. finally the quality is acclaimed, tested and u are 100% satisfied..KEEP RECORDS =WARRANTY SAFE!
ANY Q+A SHOULD ARISE THEN STOP AND BEGIN WITH NEW RESEARCH AND 3 STEPS I HAVE MENTIONED.. REMEMBER ELECTRONICS ARE LIKELY TO DEPRECIATE, NEED PROPER MAINTENENCE FROM SPIKES+SURGES, AND GENERAL WEAR, SO BE
SMART AS YOU SHOP AND MAKE YOUR INVESTMENT SECURE BY TAKING PERCAUTIONS BEFOREHAND..

Posted on May 25, 2012 4:26:32 PM PDT
Costco's warranty is as follows.... 2 years warranty included... $30.00 for an extra three years. :-) not the other way around. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012 10:36:34 PM PDT

Posted on May 30, 2012 7:59:50 PM PDT
Playstation 3 absolutely WILL stream Netflix video in HD, but I can't say if Wii will or will not.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 1:12:42 AM PDT
Brice S. says:
Yeah for Wii it's only 480, which is fine. It's standard. I was just noting it for the HD appearance. With the PS3 you should be able to top out at 720p.

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 2:37:30 PM PDT
Suzie White says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 12:13:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 4:32:39 PM PDT
Brice S. says:
If it's not there than just go into the Yahoo Store app and download any of the apps. That's weird that your's didn't come with the ones you mentioned, but rest assured they are in the store (don't worry its a free store). When I bought this tv I also noticed that it said Pandora was a included app but it wasn't. I checked the Yahoo Store and it was there. Hope that helps. Download times take about 10 seconds, so hopefully that's not too much of a burden.

In addition to your warranty, most warranties have price brackets. For example when I bought the 370sl model the TV was 499.00, which kept it below $500 and gave me the $39.99 price range. Now when I bought the 470sl model I bought it for $729.00 which made my warranty $59.00. In your case your TV was $1099, which means your warranty would have been $99. I am assuming your warranty was through Square Trade. If you paid $1099 at Costco I'm guessing you bought the 55" Vizio. I was actually up at Costco yesterday and saw a 55" Vizio (m550sl) with all the apps. So yours should have all the app functions. Were they able to get you squared away?

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 7:32:24 AM PDT
D. Johnson says:
Is the volume fluctuation the only problem you've had with this TV? I would have mine hooked up to a Receiver, so that wouldn't really be an issue for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 9:58:40 AM PDT
Brice S. says:
Yeah, that was actually the only problem I ran into. The sound issue started when using the apps but then spread to broadcast television and when I played blu-rays. The only reason I returned it was because I was still within my 90 days and both tvs had presented the same problem. I didn't want to have to deal with this past my 90 day grace period, even if I did have a warranty. Warranties are wonderful, but you never want to deal with problems out of the box. Like I said, I'm not saying these are all bad, but after I did some research I was not the only one that ran into this problem. I have had many Vizios and this model is the first one to give me trouble. I hope everything works out for everyone else, hopefully I bough the only 2 duds in the patch. It is possible. Any ultra slim tv is gonna usually have poor sound, but in my case with this model that volume would go completely quiet and then shoot to really loud. It was really annoying. The Vizio reps told me to turn the TruVolume feature off (I'd like to point out that they immediately knew the source of the problem for this model), which I did and it kind of helped. On the other hand once you turn off the TruVolume feature the volume is really low and muffled. I had to crank the volume to almost 100 just to hear the program at a moderate volume. I too will probably end up hooking my new Samsung to a receiver (and eventually I would have also with my Vizio), but I just didn't want a tv that was already broken, especially two broken tv's, irregardless if I was gonna hook it up to a receiver. I'm actually usually never picky, until I shell out more than $500 on something. I ended up shelling out $900 on a 46" Samsung, which I'm really glad I did. So far the Samsung has completely blown the Vizio out of the water on every single category. At first I thought the Vizio had Samsung beat in some areas, but after I played with the settings a bit it was very clear Samsung took the cake. I still have 2 other Vizio's and they are pretty good, I just wanted to upgrade to a 240hz Trumotion TV for once, and boy am I glad I did. The only area now that I can see Vizio beating Samsung is in the apps. Samsungs apps work, but are very poor quality. Anyways, I went off topic. Hope your Vizio works out because other than that sound issue I thought this was a awesome tv for an awesome price.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2012 12:49:41 PM PDT
Volume fluctuation is known effect, and it is known how to fix it (switch off SRS). This SRS mode tries to fight with loud commercials, and often false identifies something as commercial. So even if you'll hook TV to receiver, you'll still need to deal with this feature.
I switched it off and everything is OK now.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›